Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lee's 'struggle' with officials missing Mateo Carreras eye-contact inciden  (Read 6910 times)

MarleyWasp

The whole range of offenses for gouging confuses me. There are currently 9 levels of potential sanctions panels must consider.

I think it could all be simplified with a more simple single charge of "making contact with the eye or eye area" and a 3 tier ranking for bans:

Eye area - reckless - 8 week starting point
Eye area - intentional or Eye - reckless - 16 week starting point
Eye - intentional - 24 week starting point

I also think deduction for mitigation needs to be capped at a maximum of 4 weeks for intentional foul play.

MarleyWasp

Newcastle Falcons needed to be bigger, braver and issue a response to Carreras' eye incident - https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/mateo-carreras-ban-eye-newcastle-falcons-statement-dean-richards-929869

I'm very much seeing Newcastle's failure to condemn as effectively condoning Carreras's actions.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
No comment, I think from Falcons and Dean 'Should Have Gone to Specsavers' Richards, they have replayed the RFU commentary...

https://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/nine-week-ban-for-mateo-carreras
It was fine when I left it.....

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
So he gets 1 week less than Chris Ashton's attempt to pull Luke Marshall into touch.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
‘A grave ,intentional act ‘  f**k me sideways , he could be in prison for longer

Sting

No comment, I think from Falcons and Dean 'Should Have Gone to Specsavers' Richards, they have replayed the RFU commentary...

https://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/nine-week-ban-for-mateo-carreras
If Dean Richards had any integrity he should have cancelled Carreras's contract with immediate effect. Newcastle fans likely do not want to see him in their shirt (they are equally disgusted) and Richard's 'silence' is weak. The game needs to send a clear message to players that such an act as intentional clawing at a players eyes will meet with a severe penalty for the perpetrator.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I think we’re in the realms of going a little OTT here

By all accounts Carreras is on a 12 month deal.  This ban effectively ends his season, unless Newcastle end up in the final (I think) of the Challenge Cup or the KO rounds of the Prem.  He’s effectively had his contract cancelled for him, by his actions

If it was, say, Minozzi, who had done that for us I’m not sure I’d be saying get rid.  Punish him appropriately within the laws of the game, but I’m not sure I’d want to put him out on his feet. 

It’s a strange world we’re living in at the moment.  Whilst I don’t condone what Carreras has done, we also don’t know what stresses him might be under and whether this is in character, or out of character.

It’s easy to say without cancelling his contract, Falcons condone this sort of violence but it’s not that black/white.  That doesn’t mean to say that they couldn’t come out and condone the act, make a point that it was out of character for Carreras and that they’ll be talking to him and working with him to make sure it doesn’t happen again - that he’s effectively on a final chance.

It’s not as bad as, say, the Clark arm-break on the Leicester player, for example.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile

By all accounts Carreras is on a 12 month deal.  This ban effectively ends his season, unless Newcastle end up in the final (I think) of the Challenge Cup or the KO rounds of the Prem.  He’s effectively had his contract cancelled for him, by his actions

If it was, say, Minozzi, who had done that for us I’m not sure I’d be saying get rid.  Punish him appropriately within the laws of the game, but I’m not sure I’d want to put him out on his feet. 

It’s a strange world we’re living in at the moment.  Whilst I don’t condone what Carreras has done, we also don’t know what stresses him might be under and whether this is in character, or out of character.

It’s easy to say without cancelling his contract, Falcons condone this sort of violence but it’s not that black/white.  That doesn’t mean to say that they couldn’t come out and condone the act, make a point that it was out of character for Carreras and that they’ll be talking to him and working with him to make sure it doesn’t happen again - that he’s effectively on a final chance.

It’s not as bad as, say, the Clark arm-break on the Leicester player, for example.

Well said thaat man!

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
+1 IBW

MarleyWasp

I don't expect Newcastle to sack Carreras, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to release a statement along the lines of they accept the ban, find these actions to be unacceptable and have made it clear to Carreras that this will not be tolerated.

So far, aside from Dean Richards's bizarre post match interview, they've said nothing. I'd be very disappointed if Wasps hadn't commented by now in their position.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile

It didn't work out that badly sure...  But he stuck his finger in another player's eye, without being able to see what he was doing, and with no thought to what he may have on his finger.  Does Josh wear contact lenses?  There is a very real possibility that even if he didn't damage the surface of his eye directly he may have introduced a foreign body into Josh's eye that could have gone on to do lasting damage.

While the chances are low, there is a genuine possibility that it could have permanently affected Josh's eyesight, or even blinded him.  With one deliberate action he could have ended a player's career and caused a lifechanging injury.

I'd say if we are looking at intent and not outcome then it was just as bad as the infamous arm break.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile

It didn't work out that badly sure...  But he stuck his finger in another player's eye, without being able to see what he was doing, and with no thought to what he may have on his finger.  Does Josh wear contact lenses?  There is a very real possibility that even if he didn't damage the surface of his eye directly he may have introduced a foreign body into Josh's eye that could have gone on to do lasting damage.

While the chances are low, there is a genuine possibility that it could have permanently affected Josh's eyesight, or even blinded him.  With one deliberate action he could have ended a player's career and caused a lifechanging injury.

I'd say if we are looking at intent and not outcome then it was just as bad as the infamous arm break.

Actually, I'd say it was potentially worse. I'm speaking as someone who is already blind in one eye :(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Actually, I'd say it was potentially worse. I'm speaking as someone who is already blind in one eye :(

You'd have thought after what happened to Gavin Quinnell 10 years ago https://johnevely21.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/gavin-quinell-blinded-by-incident-on-the-rugby-field/
that World Rugby would have strict criteria for dealing with this type of incident. But they continue to pass the buck to inconsistent member union disciplinary panels, which is unacceptable.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Agree with VV here. It’s not about getting carried away but about recognising that a player decided to launch an unprovoked, intentional & reckless attack on another player after the game had stopped. The fact that Bassett (fortunately) suffered no serious injury is besides the point. Very similar to a tip tackle - a referee is obliged to issue a red card even if the player who was tipped somehow protected himself from actually falling on his head/shoulder. I also don’t agree with the “out of character” comment either - adults are fully responsible for their actions even if it were a momentarily lapse in judgement or an uncharacteristic ‘red mist’ moment.

This was the perfect opportunity for the RFU to issue a long enough ban that sends a clear message in no uncertain terms that such behaviour would not be tolerated. Whether it was due to being bound by archaic regulations or lack of conviction, they elected against taking a firm stand.

The recent spate of red cards were part of a drive to change player behaviour & improve welfare. Many were considered harsh because split second decisions when at high speed can sometimes go wrong. In this case Carreras waited after the whistle to calmly decide to harm a fellow sportsman. That is not acceptable and there is no mitigation or ‘courage’ when you’ve been caught red handed intended to cause harm. The process is flawed and needs to be fixed.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Thanks IBW, that's along the lines of what I was thinking too.