Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Differing reactions.  (Read 4470 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Differing reactions.
« on: April 03, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »
Must admit I'm finding reaction to today's loss a bit odd. I found it more frustrating than say the Sale loss. Yes we played better but we've just totally butchered what should have been a done deal and a home QF in the Champions Cup. Personally whilst I acknowledge the huge improvement in performance level it means little to me due to the farcical way we contrived to lose. What's just as worrying is that those in charge, outside of the action and with clear heads made odd decisions. I really don't see the point of giving Jimmy and Zach 5 minutes. Give them 20 or more or don't bother. Them not being attuned cost us the game. Why take Taylor off and compromise the set piece but not bring a prop on when Brookes was basically immobile (understandably). Maybe it's down to expectation - I thought we could win going in to the game. Travelling French sides are always beatable and we are a top side. A weeks rest due to losing yes, but that extra week won't do anywhere near as much for energy levels as a win would.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Differing reactions.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 05:50:48 PM »
I completely get your frustration.

I guess the reason why I'm not as unhappy with the result is... I expected nothing. We played well and just lost out. I expected a massacre and we almost won it.

In comparison to Exeter final, I was really upset. I thought we were on a path like the mission from god quotes of the Blues Brothers. And when we lost I was distraught. (Also because it was the second one, but mainly because I thought we'd do it)

In addition, we're already on a depressing run of form, the only thing we can do is support the lads and hope they use it to improve. They're really not far off beating good teams like that.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 05:58:37 PM »
Bring Jimmy on by all means, if you are going to use him when you have a kick. But the rest, agreed.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 06:15:14 PM »
I completely get your frustration.

I guess the reason why I'm not as unhappy with the result is... I expected nothing. We played well and just lost out. I expected a massacre and we almost won it.

In comparison to Exeter final, I was really upset. I thought we were on a path like the mission from god quotes of the Blues Brothers. And when we lost I was distraught. (Also because it was the second one, but mainly because I thought we'd do it)

In addition, we're already on a depressing run of form, the only thing we can do is support the lads and hope they use it to improve. They're really not far off beating good teams like that.
Supporting them is a given. Your final sentence HDAWG is part of my point. We are good enough to beat teams like that. Had we won could have beaten Toulose at home. But we should be expecting that - not going in as plucky underdogs who gave it a good go. I guess it is down to expectation. If you'd resigned yourself to a thumping loss you might be disappointed but not unhappy. I thought we could win so the frustration is amplified. Some of the things we did (Minozzi, Oghre, Gopperth, Kibirige) were simply not to the standard we should expect or accept. I've no doubt after such a big effort there's no one more gutted than the players. But we need to replicate that intensity week in week out and make better decisions on and off the field if we want to prove we are a top side.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:49:30 PM »
I'm with you entirely, Shugs. Really all that matters is the result, and for yet another week we are the wrong side of it having been leading and in a position to win.

There is now an endemic problem where we just do not, or cannot, make the right decisions on the field.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 12:36:38 AM »
Pitting JTA on instead of Brookes would've been a car crash against that pack. Brookes and Harris did a fantastic job today, I was dreading the moment they would be replaced. I also wouldn't have taken TT off precisely because of Oghre's throwing. As good a player as he is his throwing causes issues in tight games like today. I'm sure he'll be even more gutted than anyone.

I'd just like to mention that I'm a big critic of Umaga's big girl's blouse moments, and there are many. He stood up without fail today. More of that please.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:39:26 AM by Beasties »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 07:29:37 AM »
Pitting JTA on instead of Brookes would've been a car crash against that pack. Brookes and Harris did a fantastic job today, I was dreading the moment they would be replaced. I also wouldn't have taken TT off precisely because of Oghre's throwing. As good a player as he is his throwing causes issues in tight games like today. I'm sure he'll be even more gutted than anyone.

I'd just like to mention that I'm a big critic of Umaga's big girl's blouse moments, and there are many. He stood up without fail today. More of that please.

Agree that Brookes and Harris (especially Harris) did a superb job but JTA wasn't in the team so couldn't have crashed his car.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 07:50:41 AM »

Agree that Brookes and Harris (especially Harris) did a superb job but JTA wasn't in the team so couldn't have crashed his car.
Eh? He was named on the bench, did he withdraw?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 08:05:09 AM »

Yes before the match - injured. Bench warmer was Alo.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 08:06:06 AM »

Yeah, last minute change for Alo
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 07:45:26 PM »

Aside from the utter brain fart that meant he tried to attack out of our 22 and turned the ball over, and a poor kick that they scored from. I think he's just too inaccurate for a top level 10

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 08:14:24 PM »

He was great at times, but also still hard brain fart moments (kicking straight back to opposition, it was also short kicks, he kept slicing them like oh my days. And his missed tackles... Dear god no)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 09:14:38 PM »
But he is only 22. Like it or not he's the 10 we've pinned it on so we've got to stick with him. Atkinson reminds me more of Sopoaga - he'll shovel it on and take contact but needs a long time to develop X factor. We could do with a seasoned "reliable" 10 to back them up next year but I don't think we'll get one.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 10:06:50 PM »
Where do you draw the line with 10s defensively?

Johnny Wilkinson was fearless to the point of recklessness and spent a lot of time injured. 

That’s a genuine question, btw, not a dig at anyone.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 10:14:25 PM »
Where do you draw the line with 10s defensively?

Johnny Wilkinson was fearless to the point of recklessness and spent a lot of time injured. 

That’s a genuine question, btw, not a dig at anyone.

Always considered Beauden Barrett a fantastic defensive 10 as well as attacking.