Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No Lions for Prem Final  (Read 1489 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
No Lions for Prem Final
« on: April 27, 2021, 01:30:52 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56902920

Won't impact Wasps on either count as I don't expect us to A: have anyone selected for the Lions (esp now Launch ruled out) or B: be in the Premiership final, but Exeter in particular could be hard hit.

And for anyone hoping Sarries might go into a potential Championship playoff final a bit short handed, then sorry to disappoint, but that 2nd leg is the previous weekend.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No Lions for Prem Final
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 02:30:29 PM »
Ridiculous decision. The clubs will be fuming.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 02:37:57 PM »
Ridiculous decision. The clubs will be fuming.

Apparently the clubs have been promised an unbelievable amount of dosh for release.

That will be the EAs funded for a month.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »
Well they should be compensated. This game never should have been scheduled if it overlapped with the domestic season.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 02:57:43 PM »
The first line of the BBC article doesn't say that the finalists will release their players (emphasis added):

Premiership players from clubs not involved in the final will be released for the British and Irish Lions' warm-up game against Japan on 26 June.

The Daily Fail article is also a little vague but has this quote (emphasis added):

A Premiership spokesperson confirmed: 'An agreement has been reached for the release of all players at the conclusion of their domestic commitments for the Lions' warm-up game against Japan. They will also be available for any training camp ahead of that fixture.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-9516659/Lions-Tour-Premiership-agree-release-players-June-ahead-South-Africa-tour.html

So, I think the finalists will keep their Lions but all other clubs will release them. Might be wrong though!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 03:15:14 PM »
That's how I understood it.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 08:59:18 PM »
TBQH, I cannot see that having much effect on Wasps anyway. Launch was about the only one wih a real chance, unless Warren pulls a rabbit or two out of his hat!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 12:15:43 AM »
TBQH, I cannot see that having much effect on Wasps anyway. Launch was about the only one wih a real chance, unless Warren pulls a rabbit or two out of his hat!

My Odogwu for the Lions campaign starts here!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 07:02:22 AM »

Whoever goes on this tour the first selection criteria needs to be mental strength. Away from home effectively locked in a hotel and only seeing stadiums for that length of time will test the mentally strongest.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 07:10:29 AM »
The other big concern is that when will they be available to play for their clubs when they return?

8 week summer break? Is England's summer tour still going ahead?

I fancy that if it does, some of our guys could be on it. Given where we are with LTIs, we could be looking decidedly thin on the ground come the start of next season - when is that scheduled to start?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 07:55:57 AM »
Latest rumour on the England tour is we'll play Scotland A, Georgia and Canada, but in England. Canada sadly looks like a no go zone for much of the next few months.

We were due to be playing the USA and the plan was for them to travel here via South Africa, where they are due to play the Springboks as a pre-Lions warm up, however the British government are insisting they quarantine as a squad for 10 days which rules out them being able to play England.

So far only Scotland have confirmed their summer tour plans: Romania away on 10th July and Georgia away a week later.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 10:16:09 PM »

Barbeary could have been a bolter if not injured. Amazing when you watch Bassett and Odogwu week in week out that it is Paolo that is involved with England. My Bassett for the Lions starts here!!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 05:02:02 AM »

Barbeary could have been a bolter if not injured. Amazing when you watch Bassett and Odogwu week in week out that it is Paolo that is involved with England. My Bassett for the Lions starts here!!
+1

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 10:08:17 AM »

+1
+2
He would be the bolter to end all bolters!
He'll be getting my vote for player of the season this year I think.  A very valuable player.  Consistently excellent and available to Wasps all year round as he has inexplicably always remained below the England radar (one non-cap game against the Baa-baas aside)