Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Elliot Daly voted Old Mutual Wealth Player of the Series  (Read 3627 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Elliot Daly voted Old Mutual Wealth Player of the Series
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:49:31 PM »
Interesting quotes from EJ.

I wonder if Elliot has asked Dai if he could do the same at Wasps, and then he has to beat Wade or Bassett, both of whom are excellent wingers and, IMHO, have as much right to an England winger's shirt as Elliot has?

Interesting that EJ sees having an outside centre playing at wing, if he has the gas turbo boost (as Elliot does) as well. A passing winger. Whatever next? A side-stepping prop? A field kicking hooker (for which we have Ash)?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
Interesting from EJ, but for me Daly is more a centre and would not get picked ahead of our current top two wingers, both of whom have been strangely over looked if EJ "does not think about a players limitations"

ED fits what EJ wants on the pitch, but there is a reason you want Daly at centre as he can most influence the game from there, its much harder from wing, back in the day, Lewsey was most effective away from wing (for me) but EJ looks to get his best players all on the pitch at the same time and that means wing for Daly - unless JJ gets injured or loses confidence/form. I am not sure what EJ would do as I think he'd keep Daly on the wing - even if he had Nowell fit. I suppose Slade would get 13?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:57 AM »
He's told Daly to attack as a 13, defend as a wing.  Best of both worlds.  It won't do him any harm to continue playing 13 for wasps.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »
To be honest it looks more like defending like a centre who happens to be in the outside channel, and attacking like a wing for England, JJ uses the 13 channel, and whilst Daly does look for work, for me he plays like a wing for England and I think EJ is just talking some fancy stuff to justify a selection or to confuse his beloved press.

I'm not sure if there is a way to defend like a wing - looking at Wade, he is often positioned inside another player on defence (least he was last weekend) almost like in the 13 channel

There again, having played most of my career as a prop......I might be under/over thinking this

For Wasps, I am more than happy that Daly plays in the 13 channel, similar for de Jongh, now he has settled in, similar offers in that channel for me!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
Daly for me often pops up in the 13 channel on the right hand side when playing for England, on the left he's more regularly on his wing.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
My only observation is that is not unlike Nowell in reverse, when looking for work, but not unusual for any winger, May pops up all over the place - though it may in his case be "unplanned"  :)

I'd much prefer him at 13 for England with Watson at 15 and two wingers of real pace. Daly is quick, but I was struck in the recent Wasps game when chasing a ball, leading to a try, how Wade made Daly look relatively pedestrian, making up more than 5m in 40m and cruising past.