Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team for tigers  (Read 8552 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Team for tigers
« on: November 29, 2017, 07:19:34 AM »
So what do we reckon?

1. Mac
2. AJ
3. JCW
4. Rowlands
5. Gaskell
6. Hask
7. Thompson
8. Niz

9. Robson
10. Cips
11. Bassett
12. Eastmond
13. Daly/JDJ
14. Wade
15. WLR

?

I'm also wondering if Nathan Charles won't be starting, with AJ on the bench, since it seemed odd to keep AJ on the pitch for 80 against Irish, especially with him limping/taking a knee from early in the first half.

Some people will moan about Cips' weaker kicking, but I still contend that the above side will get us into positions where we actually get to take those kicks, more often than other combinations.  No point in having a 95% kicker on the pitch, if you struggle to actually score tries or be aggressive enough to force penalties.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Team for tigers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
On the bench, whatever Dai does, you have one scrum half. My guess is Simmo, and then the two backs have to offer cover to at least two positions.

So, we need FB covered, as I don't think anybody in your starting XV can cover that well. That puts Miller on the bench. He can also cover 10, so that is sorted. Let's assume Daly is playing. If we lose a winger, WLR slips in there, and Miller comes on. So, in effect, having Miller covers 10, wing and FB. So we then need a centre. Take your pick. I would have JdJ.

I think YY will be at 7. Leaving Thompson on the bench to cover either flanker or 8.

We need replacement props and one second row on the bench. I would have Charles to start and AJ on the bench. With AJ there, at a push he can cover hooker and also flanker.

Or will Gopperth start, with then the choice of Eastmond OR JdJ on the bench. Or will Daly be on the bench? At a push he could replace Miller on the bench.

I am not in favour of lost of rest. Daly a few weeks off already.

I would not want to be in Dai's shoes picking this team. All I know is that the backs need to be firing on all cylinders and with turbo boost engaged. For me that is your pick of 9-15 with Daly in it.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:08:56 AM »
Simmo, Gopps and Miller on the bench for me.  Miller can cover wing as well as WLR, they can work that out.  If Daly isn't starting, he's resting for me, he's obliged to get one rest game after the AIs, and this seems as good as any in the upcoming window.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 10:12:48 AM »
I would like to see Kyle and JdeJ in the centres as they really clicked in the Falcons game. Dan and Cips to start for me with Gopps on the bench with Simmo and Rob. Willie seems to have got his mojo back (and how). Give Elliot the day off.
Hopefully all are fit.
As for the forwards - I really cannot make up my mind about Hask but he'd be best starting at 6, with Thomas and Niz at 7 and 8. If AJ has a few bruises then Nathan C should start. Chesty and JCW with Rowlands (presumably) and Gaskell. If Jack does not start in place of Hask then he must be on the bench. It looks like Guy may miss out unless one of the back row is injured.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
I was presuming Thomas may be injured, if fit, then it becomes trickier.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
So, looking at Dai's comments today, my guess is that Kyle, YY and Will Rowlands will be out. So,

1. Mac
2. Charles
3. JCW
4. ???
5. Gaskell
6. Hask
7. Thompson
8. Niz

9. Robson
10. Cips
11. Bassett
12. Gopperth
13. Daly
14. Wade
15. WLR

On the bench

16. ??
17. Ash
18. ??
19. ??
20. Jack Willis
21. Simpson
22. JdJ/Lovobalavu
23. Miller

Two props, who?, on the bench
Two locks, one bench and one to start

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
I'd be more than happy with that set of backs, I would like to see Kyle and de Jongh outside Cips with that back three, but Cips will mean Daly will get quality ball to further exploit the back three

Excited already, I know too many Tigers fans, so we'd better win!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:01:13 AM »
Dai will not bench Gopps. Too valuable a player to collect splinters. As per the original post, if our walking wounded don't make it, the only change I can foresee to that, is Gopps in for Eastmond.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
I tend to agree with Heathen, Gopps has a hard edge that will be very valuable against Tigers. Something we've been missing in a lot of our players.

That being said Dai has surprised me with his selections before.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 12:02:30 PM »
Wasps team to play Leicester Tigers at the Ricoh Arena on Saturday

Director of Rugby Dai Young has named his side to take on Leicester Tigers in round 10 of the Aviva Premiership at the Ricoh Arena tomorrow, kick off 4.30pm.

Jake Cooper-Woolley makes his 100th appearance for the club when he lines up alongside captain Ashley Johnson and Simon McIntyre in the front row, while Dan Robson appears in the Premiership for a 50th time for Wasps.

Wasps are boosted by the return of England international Elliot Daly who starts on the left wing, where he excelled for his country during the Autumn Internationals. He completes Wasps’ back three with Willie Le Roux and Christian Wade. Danny Cipriani and Jimmy Gopperth renew their 10/12 partnership, with Juan De Jongh again starting in the 13 shirt.

In the pack, Thomas Young returns at openside having recovered from the calf strain that forced him to withdraw from last Sunday’s game. He lines up alongside James Haskell and Nizaam Carr, who pack down behind James Gaskell and Kearnan Myall in the second row. Joe Launchbury hasn’t quite recovered from the knock he picked up during England’s match against Samoa, while Will Rowlands is sidelined by a knee injury. Marcus Garratt comes into the match day squad to provide second row cover.

Ahead of the mouthwatering clash, Dai Young said: “Wasps and Leicester Tigers games always have a great feel to them as there’s been a huge rivalry between the two sides down the years that’s only intensified since we’ve been living next door to each other.

“It’s a massive game for both clubs in terms of the table and it’s a big occasion for the area and both sets of supporters, so I’m sure everyone will be looking forward to the contest on Saturday.

“It’s guaranteed to be a physical encounter and, as always, the set piece will be a huge battle. We will need to match Tigers’ physicality there and at the contact area. While it was good to come away with the win last Sunday, we know we need to lift our level of performance significantly on Saturday.

“These are the types of games players love to play in and everyone is looking forward to such a big contest in front of what’s set to be our biggest crowd of the season so far.” 

Wasps team to play Leicester Tigers               

15. Willie Le Roux
14. Christian Wade
13. Juan De Jongh
12. Jimmy Gopperth
11. Elliot Daly
10. Danny Cipriani
9. Dan Robson
1.  Simon McIntyre
2.  Ashley Johnson ©
3.  Jake Cooper-Woolley
4. James Gaskell
5.  Kearnan Myall
6.  James Haskell
7.  Thomas Young
8.  Nizaam Carr

Replacements

16. Nathan Charles
17. Ben Harris
18. Marty Moore
19. Marcus Garratt
20. Jack Willis
21. Joe Simpson
22. Gaby Lovobalavu
23. Josh Bassett

Unavailable for selection through injury
Tom Cruse, Kyle Eastmond, Nathan Hughes, Sam Jones, Joe Launchbury, Matt Mullan, Alex Rieder, Will Rowlands, Matt Symons, Tommy Taylor, Guy Thompson.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »
As I suspected (in another post). Daly on the wing, JdJ in as 13, so no Miller to cover FB.

Ash is hooker. Interesting lineup. Of the unavailables, all except Kyle are forwards.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »
Verrrrrry interesting. Elliot on the wing and Josh (extremely unlucky) on the bench. No Rob Miller. I wonder if Josh can play FB if needed?

Added: Your comments just beat me to it, NWW.  :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 12:15:40 PM »
And here are the Thigers XXIII:

15 Telusa Veainu
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Mathew Tait
12 Gareth Owen
11 Jonah Holmes
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs
1 Ellis Genge
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Mike Fitzgerald
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Valentino Mapapalangi
7 Will Evans
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements
16 Harry Thacker
17 Kyle Traynor
18 Logovi’i Mulipola
19 Harry Wells
20 Mike Williams
21 Ben White
22 Joe Ford
23 Matt Smith

No sign of Manu. Despite newspaper reports, still not ready. And Jonny May got concussed.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
Disappointed to see Josh benched. Our most consistent back so far this season IMO.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
Daly, Gopps and Cips can all cover fullback.  I suspect Bassett can too.

Interesting lineup, hope it goes well.