Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps win against the odds - old style  (Read 748 times)

KenC

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps win against the odds - old style
« on: May 07, 2021, 03:13:16 PM »
A recently acquired Wasps programme from 27 December 1958 confirms that injury, unavailability and misfortune are nothing new for our club as well as heartwarming wins against the odds. There's lots to savour here from the amateur era . . .

"CLUB NOTES
Last week's victory at Northampton was an astonishing performance, for the powerful “Saints", only defeated twice this season, were unbeaten at home. They had 3 players in the International Trial but were otherwise at full strength. In contrast we had 4 players at Taunton (Herbert, Bendon, Simmonds and Kent), Greenhow injured with two broken ribs, Woodward and Syrett both unable to play.

The selected side had two hookers in the front row, Blacker and Wetson, but neither arrived! Blacker missed the train at Euston and Wetson had a muscle strain. So we played a reserve prop forward, George Taylor, at hooker and took the field with 14 men. After some ten minutes an unknown player from a junior side visiting a Northampton reserve team came on the field wearing a Wasp jersey to help us out. He did remarkably well.

At half-time Wasps were losing 14-6. Our former centre, Hosen, kicked three long-range penalty goals and also converted a try by Hyde. In reply we had a very fine penalty by Loveday against the wind and a try by Childs.

In the second half we owed much to Mettler, whose kicking of the heavy ball was excellent. Booth scored a good try which Loveday converted from touch; in the last minute Hurst produced a splendid try, Mettler converting to give us a remarkable victory 16-14."

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps win against the odds - old style
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »
Love the thought of someone just happened to be there with a spare top

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 04:23:52 PM »
Love the thought of someone just happened to be there with a spare top

Still happens at grass roots level. if a team turns up short, the club with a full squad will let the oppo borrow someone to make up the numbers rather that than play a one sided game, or no game at all. My local club has deals with other clubs where if we don't have a game, we lend a bunch of volunteers to another club so everyone gets a game. Given the ever decreasing number of adult players, its the only way to keep some clubs afloat & regularly playing, especially a clubs 3rd or 4th teams, or vets.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 05:40:54 PM »
I used to turn out down the club for London Scottish. One memorable weekend the LS postcards told us to go to Sunbury and LI to Richmond! Because of the mixup I ended up wearing a green jersey and hooking for Oirish. Played against my regular tight head who I thought was a terrific player. After playing against him, I realised that he was actually a f*cking psycho ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 02:01:54 AM »
I played my only game at prop on loan to the opposition team. At the first scrum my opposite number laughed and said 'just as well the scrums are uncontested otherwise I would have bent you in half'.