Always a Wasp

Author Topic: the curse of English rugby  (Read 2005 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
the curse of English rugby
« on: May 21, 2021, 10:07:10 PM »
the big hoof with nothing to back it up and the maul and when it does not work, ? clueless, the commentators seem to think george ford is the messiah because he can do a spiral kick, what did they gain from that, zero, a clean sweep for the french they can kick but importantly they play rugby.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:22:18 PM by wycombewasp »

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: the curse of English rugby
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 10:25:36 PM »
A kicking game when executed well is a potent weapon in your armoury, when it is used to the detriment of all else in an attempt not to lose it becomes the soft underbelly.

Finals can be underwhelming events sometimes...this was one of them.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 10:38:20 PM »
The curse of English Rugby? More like the cash of French Rugby. No limits over the Channel and lots of rich benefactors.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 10:43:47 PM »
The curse of English Rugby? More like the cash of French Rugby. No limits over the Channel and lots of rich benefactors.
The OP is referring to the style of play, which costs nothing, not the result.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 11:56:44 PM »
Yup, Ford's kicking was shocking tonight, apart from when he kicked to touch from hand.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 06:27:41 AM »
Yeah but given those squads (which cost vastly different ££ one would guess) you can effectively use very different gameplans. If Tigers had tried to chuck it around they would have lost by much more than a point. Don't forget it was very wet out there.

Also, Tigers came unstuck as Montpellier emptied their bench, which was vastly more experienced than their's. And they still could have won it if Ford had nailed that quite straightforward drop goal attempt.

The title of this thread is way OTT.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 07:24:58 AM »
Tigers are a club in massive transition, they would have been relegated last season but for Sarries. They are playing with what they have, as they progress expect their game plan to grow with them.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 07:37:38 AM »
I don't expect Tigers to play any differently when they arrive at the Ricoh in June. Historically, the Tigers gameplan has almost invariably, been based on forward domination.

Lineout, rolling maul, kick ad nauseum - they are playing for the penalties from collapsed mauls.

If you can nullify the rolling maul, points are very much on offer outside.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 07:43:32 AM »
I only saw the 2nd half so maybe misread Tigers' game plan, but this is general comment as well.

Keeping Montpellier in their own half isn't a bad game plan, but I think its one for winter conditions and heavy ground when defences are more likely to make mistakes. In summer conditions modern attacks are capable of going the full length of the pitch very quickly so bad kicks are more likely to get punished. Its still not a bad tactic, it just needs better execution and, more importantly, more variety as defences and attacks quickly work out the game plan.

Maybe its commentary bias, but for me Leicester's problem was relying too much "the big man" and this can be a weakness in many teams when their game revolves around one person, be it the big man or the star. Montpellier closed down Nadolo effectively and Tigers seemed to lack a Plan B. Bath had a similar problem with Banahan, when he literally burst on the scene he could win games single handed and all they needed to do was get the ball to him, but defences soon worked him out and it limited Bath's options. There's plenty of other instances, but of course Lomo was the exception!

Anyway, well played Leicester,  they came very close and it could have gone either way. With my Wasps hat on the result suits us, if they're outside the top 8 at the end of the season and had won we might have lost our European Cup place if we'd finished 8th.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »
you say it's about money and it's true the french do have a much bigger budget so can you tell me why England who have vast resources still employ ford, OF, and Daley of the big boot to hoof the ball off the park, I thank it's a mindset of English rugby.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 08:14:51 AM »
Tigers could have been coached by mental  Eddie - plan A and nothing else.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:24:50 AM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 08:53:56 AM »
Tiger's could have been coached by mental  Eddie - plan A and nothing else.

Watching last night we said as much plus similar to early/mid EA game plans.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 11:24:14 AM »
The two are inextricably linked.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 12:14:21 PM »

Presumably that is why Tigers started with Wrigglesworth. Borthwick trusts him more than Youngs!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 04:06:39 PM »

Presumably that is why Tigers started with Wrigglesworth. Borthwick trusts him more than Youngs!

I think you are probably right. I did wonder why at the time :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!