Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Charlie Atkinson extends contract and is promoted to the first team squad  (Read 2892 times)

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps are delighted to announce that Academy product Charlie Atkinson has extended his contract with the club and has been promoted to next season’s first team squad. 

The 19-year-old graduated from Wasps Academy’s Under 18s into the Club’s Senior Academy last summer and has since gone on to make 15 appearances and scored 15 points in the first team. 

The fly half, who has operated at full back on occasions, has also appeared for England Under 18s and Under 20s. 

Wasps Head Coach Lee Blackett said: “We are extremely happy that Charlie has agreed a new contract with us and is making the step up to the first team squad next season.

“Charlie has impressed with the opportunities that he has got this season. He’s had an outstanding first 12 months in men’s rugby and shows a daily desire to keep improving.

“We are all looking forward to working with him further in the coming years.”

Atkinson added: “I am very happy to make the step up to the first team next season. 

“I have really enjoyed playing this season and I am looking forward to continuing to work with this great group of players and staff.”   

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/charlie-atkinson-extends-contract-and-is-promoted-to-the-first-team-squad/

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
That's good news. Great stuff. Now lets see him have a bit more game time.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
He's a young player with bags of class.  Deceptively physical.  Thought he showed plenty of confidence at FB against Worcester despite playing out of position.

Reminds me a lot of Lozowski - not shy of tackle, good hands, good feet and all-round natural-looking player who could like play across the backline without much fuss.

The Umaga / Atkinson 'problem' will be an interesting conundrum for Lee in a few years I think if they both keep progressing in the same way. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atkinson be our long-term 12 to Jacob at 10.  Partly because of his attributes and partly to get the best players on the pitch.

Umaga, Atkinson, Odogwu would be an interesting young, English 10,12,13 combo.  With a good blend of power, pace, hands and kicking.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
This is no less  than he deserves; a young man with outstanding talent and a brilliant future.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Good news for the long term future!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Keep forgetting that some of the younger players,like Atkinson, are still academy players .Should keep this  in mind , when criticising their playing.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Umaga / Atkinson 'problem' will be an interesting conundrum for Lee in a few years I think if they both keep progressing in the same way. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atkinson be our long-term 12 to Jacob at 10.  Partly because of his attributes and partly to get the best players on the pitch.

Umaga, Atkinson, Odogwu would be an interesting young, English 10,12,13 combo.  With a good blend of power, pace, hands and kicking.

Scenes when Atkinson is Gopperth's successor. I'd love it to happen, but not sure it will.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Keep forgetting that some of the younger players,like Atkinson, are still academy players .Should keep this  in mind , when criticising their playing.

Yep.  When you think about Oghre, Alfie, The Willis Bros, Curran, Cardall, Wohlstenholme/Porter, Jacob, Charlie and Paolo that’s a heck of a lot of young talent coming through and that ignores anyone rising the ranks through the academy and looking promising for first team action in the next season or two.

Look at the difference that blooding some of the Tigers’ youngsters last year has made to their performances this year.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Plus 1

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Atkinson to 15, Alfie at 12? ;)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Atkinson to 15, Alfie at 12? ;)

He wants to try
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
When you think about Oghre, Alfie, The Willis Bros, Curran, Cardall, Wohlstenholme/Porter, Jacob, Charlie and Paolo that’s a heck of a lot of young talent coming through and that ignores anyone rising the ranks through the academy and looking promising for first team action in the next season or two.

Totally agree. However, plenty of people on here have already written off half of those players listed as not being good enough, yet clamouring for more youngsters to be played.
Moving young players from age groups into academy & then into the full squad is a tricky balancing act, especially with limited A games & anglo welsh cups type comps. Slow & steady would seem a good way to go, unless injuries force the coaches hand, and even then, just dropping young players into an under performing team is not ideal.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Good news. I like such players to get time at 10, 12 and 15.  12 & 15 can be (well in the ABs....) interchangeable in terms of focus - second 5/8th play etc. and provides variety of approach. I like a second 5/8th at 15.....challenges defences.

The big bonus will be if Mills gets fit as that provides the ability to move more players around as they mature alongside a mature experience player (Mills) And they are young - we've had to rely upon them and over the last two seasons, the more inexperienced more than we'd have liked and overall - it's going in the right direction!

As for Alfie....wherever he feels comfortable!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Good news - a bright prospect indeed. Has a bit of everything and certainly not shy of the physical stuff.