Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps' Nine Contenders for England Squad This Summer  (Read 2118 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps' Nine Contenders for England Squad This Summer
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »

Exactly
We talk about posting in top tier European competition as being required so we can attract the best players.

Having your players represent their international team also makes us attractive to prospective players.

From a player perspective, they'd all rather have 1 cap against USA than end their careers with no caps.

I totally see the other side of it, but I feel it's a bit selfish of us not to consider what the players themselves would ultimately want

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 04:13:00 PM »
I totally see the other side of it, but I feel it's a bit selfish of us not to consider what the players themselves would ultimately want

agree totally, how many young rugby players have the dream of representing their country, and how many actually get to do it?

Also remember this is their job, they get paid, quite well, to play for England, plus being an international adds to their value both as players & post rugby, as coaches or pundits or any other form of employment where having the tag "ex England rugby player" will help them.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »
Any other end  of season ,any other year and possibly any other head coach ( for me anyway) this discussion thread wouldn’t have lasted as long as it has.

I’m sure if I was in  the running  ( fat chance ever) I would want to be in side ,no matter how knackered.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 10:51:52 AM »
I’m sure if I was in  the running  ( fat chance ever) I would want to be in side ,no matter how knackered

I would expect most players thinking exactly that way, IMO

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 11:08:52 AM »
I’m sure if I was in  the running  ( fat chance ever) I would want to be in side ,no matter how knackered

I would expect most players thinking exactly that way, IMO

I know I would. (if I was a player...ha...) But I'd guess my S&C coach would not be so pleased if I was knackered......

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 12:07:42 PM »
Out of that lot:

I think Bassett & Shields are too old. Eddie already has older experienced heads
Its a bit early I think for Atkinson & Oghre. I think its probably too early for Alfie, but he might well get selected for a wider squad
Robson & West should be shoe ins I think, Jacob may get something too.
Willis might be an outside bet, but would expect Billy to play all the matches (except maybe the A game)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2021, 12:11:09 PM »
Tom (Willis), Dobby, Jacob and Josh are all in England's provisional squad.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2021, 12:23:27 PM »

This would suggest Tom West is crocked.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2021, 12:26:31 PM »

This would suggest Tom West is crocked.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/england-rugby-squad-announcement-west-20780559

Out for 3 months.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »
Brilliant for all of them, but feel so sad for Westy tho' he has time on his side. Marvellous for Tom Willis, and so happy that Josh has at last been given his (long overdue)  recognition. CONGRATULATIONS GENTLEMEN!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 01:40:00 PM »
Very much an "A" squad, with Ford, Youngs, May, Billy V, Slade, Stuart, Malins, Earl, Wilson all of which had significant 6N involvement all rested, and the rest of the core of that 6N squad away with the Lions.  Only really Genge, Lawrence and Robson retained.

Pleased for those selected, especially Bassett who has been so consistently good for so long now.   Feared his opportunity may have passed.

Please look after them Eddie!

(Edit:  Just realised players from clubs involved in Premiership and Championship playoffs not considered, so not all of the above necessarily rested)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:49:56 PM by DGP Wasp »