Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps' Nine Contenders for England Squad This Summer  (Read 2117 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Wasps' Nine Contenders for England Squad This Summer
« on: June 08, 2021, 09:36:45 PM »
Eddie Jones' side will play three matches against Scotland A, USA and Canada

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/england-rugby-squad-announcement-wasps-20771381

I wonder how many will actually get a call up?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:39:09 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps' Nine Contenders for England Squad This Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 09:52:29 PM »
Good list however I would prefer none to go forward. They have virtually played two seasons since last summer ( yes there were matches before) with sometimes two to three matches in short order time. Just over a week between seasons, no covid breaks like most others and with restricted rotation due to injuries. Our players need a thorough rest. Just my pennywort!
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 10:41:18 PM »
Plus 1

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 05:43:41 AM »
Good list however I would prefer none to go forward. They have virtually played two seasons since last summer ( yes there were matches before) with sometimes two to three matches in short order time. Just over a week between seasons, no covid breaks like most others and with restricted rotation due to injuries. Our players need a thorough rest. Just my pennywort!
It’s not just that, last season’s games were completed at the rate of 2 per week. Add in all the injuries and some of the players must be both physically and mentally shattered. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »
I'd go further. If you take cash out of the equation there is no need to play these games at all. The USA and Canada will simply be trounced and the England players selected will be rapidly jettisoned for the old guard.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 07:24:25 AM »
I'd go further. If you take cash out of the equation there is no need to play these games at all. The USA and Canada will simply be trounced and the England players selected will be rapidly jettisoned for the old guard.
This. I went on a rant about this on another thread - all the headlines about Jones wanting to use these games for new and younger players sounded liked spheroids at the time.

I think we can guess most of the squad for 2023 already......

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 08:19:50 AM »
Agree with Shugs and Mike909 above, I don't really see the point of the matches and, from a selfish, Wasps perspective, would rather our players be left out

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 09:10:29 AM »
I do understand the concern with our players playing in this squad and the nervousness with our injury record but then I think how much all of these guys will want to be capped by England and how much it would mean to them.

For example, Josh Bassett has toiled away week in week out in the Prem and worked his socks off making it into Saxons squads. I would love his opportunity to get capped officially and would provide resounding appreciation for his work.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 09:33:38 AM »
I do understand the concern with our players playing in this squad and the nervousness with our injury record but then I think how much all of these guys will want to be capped by England and how much it would mean to them.

For example, Josh Bassett has toiled away week in week out in the Prem and worked his socks off making it into Saxons squads. I would love his opportunity to get capped officially and would provide resounding appreciation for his work.

Totally agree with the sentiment that these players deserve it and of course it would mean a great deal to them to get that first cap.  However, I have to agree with others, matches against Scotland A, Canada and USA don't offer much by way of an opportunity to impress as individual performances will be judged in the context of the quality of the opposition.  It will take more than that to find inroads into Eddie's England.  Those coming into the team for the first time are there to plug a hole while incumbents are off with the Lions.  Come the autumn with tier 1 opposition, the usual suspects will be back, and those who shine this summer will be forgotten.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 09:53:30 AM »
I know and completely agree with others statement, just trying to think from players POV.

I do worry that Eddie has a habit of breaking 'our toys' and I am especially worried about Alfie.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 10:08:24 AM »
England toured the USA and Canada 20 years ago. Amongst the players who made their debut on that tour were Lewis Moody, Ben Kay & Tom Palmer. I suspect they may disagree on the value of a no-pressure introduction to international Rugby.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »
England toured the USA and Canada 20 years ago. Amongst the players who made their debut on that tour were Lewis Moody, Ben Kay & Tom Palmer. I suspect they may disagree on the value of a no-pressure introduction to international Rugby.

By EJ wasn't the coach then.  His previous actions of including clearly non-match fit Estate Agents in the 6N and BY no matter what does suggest that the squad is already set in stone so any performances this summer will be discounted once the regulars are back and available. 

That said, if I were a player I would be looking at it totally differently; it's the chance of a cap and Jones won't be there forever so it is an opportunity to put down a marker for the future.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »

By EJ wasn't the coach then.  His previous actions of including clearly non-match fit Estate Agents in the 6N and BY no matter what does suggest that the squad is already set in stone so any performances this summer will be discounted once the regulars are back and available. 

That said, if I were a player I would be looking at it totally differently; it's the chance of a cap and Jones won't be there forever so it is an opportunity to put down a marker for the future.

Agreed on both. But in so far as RWC 23 is concerned, I'd be v surprised if anything came out of these games.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 12:09:58 PM »

Agreed on both. But in so far as RWC 23 is concerned, I'd be v surprised if anything came out of these games.

Yes - I was thinking post RWC23, so for the likes of Bassett it will be just for getting a cap.  Let's face it, that is something to tell the grandkids and I wouldn't blame the players for wanting to play whatever the longer term prospects....The games are a waste of time though and from a Wasps point of view, I hope none of them get picked!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
It'll also be, what, £20k in the pocket of any player picked. Nice bonus.

And, for Wasps, a sign to current and potential players that we are a club at which you can fulfill your international aspirations.