Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Champions Cup  (Read 2428 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Champions Cup
« on: June 13, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »
Do any of our learned folk know how the seedlngs will work for the Champions Cup and when the draw is?

Asking early, I know, but keen for a couple of decent away days after being locked in the Uk for the past couple of years.

Trying to work out where we’re likely to end up.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Champions Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 02:01:31 PM »
Hopefully Racing 92 in the Defense Arena!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 02:15:12 PM »
Hopefully Racing 92 in the Defense Arena!

Well, Paris is a good enough shout for Autumnal/Winter games.  La Rochelle and South of France doesn’t have quite the same appeal in Oct, Dec and Jan!

Shame there’s not an Italian side on this year.  About 7 years ago we went to the Rugby Mogliano away game, a few days in Venice out of season and then a quick train up for the game, stood on the touch line. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 09:24:34 AM »
La Rochelle and South of France doesn’t have quite the same appeal in Oct, Dec and Jan!

January in Biarritz many years ago was very nice.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
Don't want to visit Toulouse again but La Rochelle was nice even in the rain and wind. Castres was superb but closes virtually everything on a Sunday. Toulon would be nice again weatherwise and pubwise. Bordeaux ok. Paris - I would like to visit Racing's indoor stadium but not play the team. Of the Pro14 please no more Dublin! Munster and Connaught are fun but I think I would give Ulster a miss this time - the fans were not pleasant. Then there are the Welsh Regions - would prefer Cardiff and Dai. Glasgow would be fun but a very nasty pitch for the lads. No Italian teams through which is a shame.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »
If the seeding is anything like last year, we'll have Leinster or Munster and the Top14 champions or the Top14 losing finalists. The semi finals are La Rochelle v Racing 92 and Toulouse v Bordeaux.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 10:16:11 AM »
A couple of "ifs" in here, but I expect it to break down like this:

IF it follows the same format as last year, then teams will be split into 2 pools of 12, with the winners and runners up from each league playing the 7th and 8th placed teams from each of the other 2 leagues home and away, and losing semi finalists playing 5th and 6th place.

Pro 14 already done and dusted, with Leinster and Munster the finalists, so we would get one or other of them.

Top 14 at semi final stage, with Toulouse and La Rochelle having finished 1st and 2nd with home semi finals against Bordeaux and Racing respectively, so IF it goes to form, Wasps will be playing either Toulouse or La Rochelle.

So in that scenario a win against Tiggers would have given us a more favourable draw.

However, EPRC won't be so constrained by a contracted season next year, so may want to ensure 6 pool games for each team, in which case, we may see 6 pools of 4 with a more open draw (but Wasps still bottom seeds) and only the best 2 runners up progressing.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »
Nowhere on the EPCR site can I find what format they intend for next season although they have voiced that the revised format this season with the knockout 16 was popular so can see them going that way. 

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »
Was discussing this on Saturday night and votes were for Munster or Connaught, La Rochelle or Lyon , and maybe a Welsh at a push.

Definite no was Dublin or Paris.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 02:49:35 PM »
I much prefer the trips to smaller places where the rugby is the main event in town that weekend.  I've done Paris and Dublin before and had a great time, but the game is just a minor sideshow in big cities like these that are swamped with tourists already.  I'd happily go again, but it's an entirely different experience.

In Limerick, Munster are the biggest show in town and travelling supporters get a fantastic welcome.  La Rochelle was very enjoyable last time as well, and I've always enjoyed Toulouse, over-familiarity is the only negative there for travelling Wasps fans.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »
Was discussing this on Saturday night and votes were for Munster or Connaught, La Rochelle or Lyon , and maybe a Welsh at a push.

Well it wouldn't be Lyon as not in top 8. Nice place to watch rugby though.
Would prefer Conaught as further north. Could get there via Belfast on Easyjet rather than O'Leary Bus! Munster might have to consider a proper airline!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:53:56 PM by Neils »

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »

Would prefer Conaught as further north. Could get there via Belfast on Easyjet rather than O'Leary Bus! Munster might have to consider a proper airline!

I know wishful thinking but was hoping Ryanair might have improved over last 18 months that a hop to Shannon from Stansted might be worth doing for either Munster or Connaught.

Hadn’t realised about Lyon. Will have to pick another for the wish list.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 03:50:18 PM »

I know wishful thinking but was hoping Ryanair might have improved over last 18 months that a hop to Shannon from Stansted might be worth doing for either Munster or Connaught.

Aer Lingus from Southend if it gets up running again.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 04:17:18 PM »

Aer Lingus from Southend if it gets up running again.

My sister in law was not best pleased with Aer lingus / Stobart this weekend

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 04:30:42 PM »
Air Stobart ceased trading didn't they.