Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Barnes on Fifita  (Read 1749 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Barnes on Fifita
« on: September 16, 2021, 08:02:26 PM »
Times today:

There have been notable moves despite pandemic-restricted spending, none more so than the arrival of the 29-year-old All Black at Wasps

Stuart Barnes

Pummelled by the pandemic, the English club game enters the new season with the boardrooms of the 13 top-flight clubs predominantly in survival mode. What cash remains in the coffers was certainly not flashed. An at times anonymous transfer market has been far from business as usual.

Tentative off the field, the competition enters 2021-22 on the most optimistic imaginable note. Restricted finances gave way to borderless ambition as Harlequins spearheaded the finest finale in the history of the Premiership. Bristol, Exeter and Sale all played their part in thrilling play-off matches.

The semi-finals and final were superb games. The increased ambition that acted as a glaring counterpoint to the conservatism of the national team was backed up with an accuracy often lacking in the earlier part of the campaign.

Not one club has attempted to accentuate the feel-good factor with a mass of high-profile signings. No one is buying success with an open chequebook. Each signing must be justified in these tightened times. The most exciting bit of business could be the most significant.

The best signing
After a disappointing season Wasps have found the answer to more than a few of the problems that dogged their campaign. His name is Vaea Fifita, a 29-year-old, capped 11 times by New Zealand, who played a prominent role in the Hurricanes Super Rugby team as a back-row forward able to play lock.

Anyone who remembers the try he scored against Argentina three years ago will be aware of his speed, strength and dynamism. There is more than a little of Bristol’s Steven Luatua to the way he plays. As lithe as the Bears talisman, he possesses infinitely more pace. He also has an incredible spring to his leaping. There were times when Wasps struggled at the lineout. With Wasps dependent on quick ball, it was no wonder Jacob Umaga and the back line stuttered.

Wasps have a plethora of back-five options. Many of them are injury prone, a few — when fit — could be unavailable through international duty. A back row with the graft of another former Hurricane, Brad Shields, balanced by the blistering brilliance and big hitting of the Tongan-born Fifita is set to reignite Wasps. No newcomer will bring more thrills to the Premiership.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Barnes on Fifita
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 08:43:39 PM »
I hope to heaven  he's right.  No injuries please.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 09:25:46 PM »
The best signing? Time will tell. If Vaea clicks as soon as possible then Barnes could well be correct. I think Ali Crossdale may be a close second.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 09:42:15 PM »
The best signing? Time will tell. If Vaea clicks as soon as possible then Barnes could well be correct. I think Ali Crossdale may be a close second.

Yes, agree with that about Crossdale. His talent probably fits us better than Sarries.

My juices are starting to flow about the season.
None of the journalists seem to be interested in the effect of John Mitchell.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 10:07:30 PM »

Yes, agree with that about Crossdale. His talent probably fits us better than Sarries.

My view is that getting Mitch was a significant coup for Wasps. He adds untold value to both the coaching team and the playing squad.He will definitely be Lee's 'go to' man this season.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 10:40:28 PM »
We've heard best signing of the year a few times in the last few years and it has come to nothing, so I'm gonna keep the celebratory champagne on ice for the time being.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 06:16:38 AM »

All of this. Quietly waiting for the Mitchell impact.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 02:33:40 PM »
The Fifita signing captures the imagination but in terms of continuity for us Hougaard is the big win for me. Agree about Crossdale as well.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 03:50:14 PM »
I know high expectations don't always translate into performances to match, but I expect Fifita to have a big impact and he is the new signing that excites me the most.  His impact at an individual level should be very exciting, but it goes beyond that as more rotation through the back 5 might just keep all of them fitter for longer.
Hougaard was much needed as last season showed how badly we needed a reliable back up at scrum half.  He fits that bill perfectly.
Crossdale bags of potential and could turn out to be a great signing, but still has a lot to prove.  Look forward to seeing what he can do.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 07:26:15 AM »
I'll wait until the year's out before judging who was the best signing.

If we can keep a fit squad it might be someone in the off-field team.