Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Well We Made a Right B*llocks of That.  (Read 3965 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Well We Made a Right B*llocks of That.
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:31:26 PM »
As I posted on the other place, does nobody drop goals anymore? We should have looked for a drop near the end when we had a penalty. Rather than take a shot at the posts (and fail), kick to the corner, work the ball infield and then take a drop. At the end when Quins needed 3 points to beat us, I was looking for them to take a drop. I guess a drop goal has gone out of fashion:(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Well We Made a Right B*llocks of That.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
I haven't watched the game yet, and to be honest I'm not sure I want to. Following the updates on the offy was painful enough.

Certainly time for a little reflection I think.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:12:32 AM by Vespula Vulgaris »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »
I think that one goes down as "a bad day at the office". We didn't play all that badly but with nothing to lose Quins attacked like a sevens team and we seemed to panic every time. Smith also made a big difference when he was brought on and by then we appeared to be blowing.
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
Still avoiding most rugby forums and news, but just wanted to agree.

I felt that Dai should not have subbed Robson, AJ and Eastmond when he did, since the game really wasn't over at that point, however, I can equally understand thinking that the bench should be able to come on and improve things, and perhaps help stop any more rot from setting in.  I'm surprised Macken didn't come off rather than Eastmond.  He ran one nice line, but defensively had a real nightmare I felt, a long way of JdJ, and I wonder if Armitage wouldn't have been more useful there, especially as it would have meant Eastmond stayed on.

I think the players have a mental issue to be honest.  We've seen time and again this season, we rush out to an easy lead, and then just get sloppy.  You could hear Launch in one of the huddles after one of the scores that they shouldn't screw up letting Quins put pressure on them now.    We seem to be lacking the ruthless nature required.  It's quite funny in a way, because we're so effective, we lose games because we think it's already won, and it's really going to be tough for a coach at half time to convince the team that they need to get their heads back in the game, since we're rarely losing, we've shown we can rip them apart, and the players probably reckon they'll get another purple patch to see them through, hopefully this game will serve as a bit of a lesson to remember.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
Though nobody else has mentioned it anywhere - I think Kyle had a slight limp before being subbed. Precautionary?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 10:57:47 AM »
Had a sinking feeling, thinking of the Bath game when were 30mins in. I think Will summed it up when he said something to the effect of Quins would go all out if they get the ball.

I get cross at game when people start shouting 'don't kick it'. Have to admit I fully expected the poorly contested box kick at the end and would have had sympathy with people shouting for that one. We were a good few minutes out, so trying to carry and or run would have been risky, but have we ever managed to close out a tight game with a box kick near the end? Perhaps just my perception, I am sure they know the percentages better than me. Think the damage was done earlier.

Anyway, feeling strangely resigned to the result. Perhaps a true reflection of where we are as a squad, given the injuries.

I wonder if Kyle was being monitored for his strain and limited either by time and/or other parameters.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:12:25 AM by Brandnewtorugby »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 11:13:38 AM »
On Ashley being subbed he was subject to at least two periods of attention by the medics and was slowing down greatly. I thought the change to Cruise was ok at the time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »
I must admit, I did question Kyle's fitness when Quins kicked through, and he just jogged back, when he should have been one of the main competitors, the one where Ross Chisolm scored I believe.  At first I thought it was McIntyre due to the pace!

Looking at the pools, we're pretty much out.  Pool 2 will almost certainly supply a runner up, as will pool 3.  Today will determine how likely it is pool 4 will, but if Racing win, you'd assume they'd likely manage it, and it's hard to see how pool 5 won't get someone in the mix too.

I just don't see how 17 points can get us to qualify, especially considering we have to do it by winning by a margin of more than 10 points, whilst denying Ulster any sort of bonus point.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
I think the game shows how defence is far harder to coach and get right as it depends so much more on whole team coordination. It was clear again that having a never played together midfield meant that whilst go forwards was handicapped a little, compared say to Jimmy and Daly at 12 and 13, the real problem is in defence.

It took JdeJ probably 4 games to get comfortable with the players and their defensive alignments, and he is a player that we all now think of as being a good defender. Kyle was just back off injury and looked only half fit, at times and Watson is a bit hit or miss for me.

Wade and Cips both got stuck in individually, and Wade kept us in the game with that tackle on Visser. But tactically we were inept. Yet again we let another team back in by our mistakes. If Cips had just banged the incept into touch.......and twice, players didn't make the simple pass.

However....if this gets the action required to improve matters, then it was almost worth the shouting at the screen......

The writing was on the wall vs Bath. That many points up, the ABs, as an example would make sure  that they did not let the opposition back into the game, even if that meant banging the ball into the corners, taking some contact and mentally regrouping, so that any come back is contained at minimum damage before pushing on. At present, Wasps appear to want to just play 7s regardless. Quins should not have been given a sniff, as this game mattered a lot to Wasps.

The better news will be going into games later in the season with 7 plus first choices starting, fresh, and having an excellent bench to back the first xv up. Also, with Daly and Hughes and Mullan and Taylor out, Eddie can't injure any of them!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »
Well, could be worse, just watched Tigers fail to score against Casters, who scored 39.

ElthamWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
Whilst allowing Quins to build momentum and some dodgy defending in the final 20 mins, that is not what cost us the game. It was the careless, inaccurate play in 2nd qtr of first half and 1st qtr of second. Butchered at least 2, 3 on 1's with poor decision making i.e. not passing, poor discipline at the scrum when in good attacking attacking positions, poor ball retention. Should have had that game killed off in the 1st half let alone the 2nd.The game was gone before Haskell's red card. Joe was right to box kick at the end.

Defensively I believe we lack in 2 key areas:-
  • Our transition from attack to defence is too slow. Too often our forwards are unable to get into the defensive line after a turn over or a maul breaks down. Opposition are quick to spot this and move the ball quickly wide (as do we) which is why we so often see Wadey having to defend against 2 opps in his channel. In part this contributes to the perception that his defence is poor. Positionally he has improved immensely in this area but if he chooses to rush the outside centre and does not shut down the space and pass, he looks like a mug and if he tries to drift and gets caught on a weak inside shoulder again it looks like poor D. When in fact it is good attacking play by opps.
  • Forwards are not dominant enough in the collisions. We do not tend to miss a disproportionate number of tackles however we give away too many soft metres. Which cedes momentum to the opposition and results in having to commit additional numbers into the breakdown, which in turn leaves us vulnerable out wide, if the oppo are patient and go through the phases, and finally get the ball out wide which is where we concede a lot of our tries

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »
I think the game shows how defence is far harder to coach and get right as it depends so much more on whole team coordination.

Sean seldom had a problem!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
Perhaps he would like a job!