Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Pete Nuttall  (Read 5017 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Nuttall
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 04:46:34 PM »
No matter who but the sound is muffled in the West.

All good in the east for a change (not a comment / reflection on Pete's situation)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2021, 04:47:21 PM »
If I now look at it from Wasps perspective, then they'll have terminated a contract 18 months ago, I can see that a text message isn't the worst way of communicating with someone that you think you've parted with a year earlier.

We have no idea who Pete contacted at Wasps, or who replied to him.
This could very easily have been handled by relatively new members of staff who are completely unaware of Pete's history with the club, and the text may not have been as abrupt as the Twitter exchange makes it sound.

In all, it could certainly have been handled better, but it's sounding less bad than it did first thing this morning.
While Wasps communication could have been better, Pete should certainly have been attempting to clarify his contract status before now given that he knew his contract was terminated 18 months ago

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2021, 08:47:59 PM »
Let's be honest. We don't really know what's happened here. But I don't see Wasps as an employer who doesn't care. Sound was clear as a bell in the South.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2021, 09:30:07 PM »
Couldn't understand  a flippin word! (Block B).   Do we  have a rogue echo??  It is very similar  to the sort of 'pile up' of sound  we had in the hall at a school I   taught in. and you just couldn't  distinguish any words at all.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2021, 09:51:21 PM »
I can't say I understand the people who say that they'll not go to games without him though. Did they offer to do the same with players and coaches? Medical staff? His is a voice that I'll associate with Wasps always, but that doesn't mean he's the only man they're allowed to hire to do the job.

I was one person who tweeted that I was undecided about going at a time I was planning on leaving by. I've not had a brilliant week at work, not been feeling well and have been struggling to muster any enthusiasm for the new season for a while. It's half a tank of petrol for me to get to Coventry and back and I was already feeling a tad reluctant to go when I woke up after another bad night's sleep. Reading about Pete further dampened my enthusiasm.

Ultimately I did go and enjoyed the rugby, but the experience left a lot to be desired.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2021, 11:02:14 PM »
I can't say I understand the people who say that they'll not go to games without him though. Did they offer to do the same with players and coaches? Medical staff? His is a voice that I'll associate with Wasps always, but that doesn't mean he's the only man they're allowed to hire to do the job.

I was one person who tweeted that I was undecided about going at a time I was planning on leaving by. I've not had a brilliant week at work, not been feeling well and have been struggling to muster any enthusiasm for the new season for a while. It's half a tank of petrol for me to get to Coventry and back and I was already feeling a tad reluctant to go when I woke up after another bad night's sleep. Reading about Pete further dampened my enthusiasm.

Ultimately I did go and enjoyed the rugby, but the experience left a lot to be desired.

Marley, I’m sorry to hear you were in two minds whether to go today and your enthusiasm has been tested.  I’ve regularly followed your messages  and enjoyed your insight and analysis.

Hopefully you enjoyed today’s game and your efforts - travelling from the South - were rewarded and worthwhile. Chin up.

Steve.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2021, 08:05:50 AM »
Marley - so sorry that  you have had a bit of a downer lately, and  hope that all will be good very soon. I  echo all that Steve from Cov said. 

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2021, 09:47:16 AM »
I know Pete from outside of Rugby (his daughter used to be a gymnast), and have always thouhtof him as one of the best stadium announcers, but to be honest did not miss him yesterday.

Why? because in the East stand (block 20) you can't hear any announcer - yesterdays bloke was as incomprehensible as Pete has been for the last few years.

It's not a new announcer that is needed it's a new radio microphone setup.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
I know Pete from outside of Rugby (his daughter used to be a gymnast), and have always thouhtof him as one of the best stadium announcers, but to be honest did not miss him yesterday.

Why? because in the East stand (block 20) you can't hear any announcer - yesterdays bloke was as incomprehensible as Pete has been for the last few years.

I have emailed the club regularly since 2018 about this but ignored.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2021, 10:02:48 AM »

It all seems very random, block 17 was fine to hear yesterday for the first time for a few seasons.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »

It all seems very random, block 17 was fine to hear yesterday for the first time for a few seasons.

Sound waves bouncing around the stadium add and subtract in different places around the stadium in a set pattern.  When in phase (adding) you get better sound, otherwise you get distortion.  All it needs is a slight change in the position and/or direction of one speaker and the patterns across the whole stadium changes. 

It’s a fairly simple task to model and figure out the best arrangement for speakers - simple but not necessarily  cheap.

Bad microphones don’t help and it doesn’t help if the announcer is shouting or has it too close to his mouth, but a professional announcer should know that. 

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2021, 03:38:20 PM »
I’d be surprised if Wasps hadn’t recognised this move would upset many of the pre-Ricoh supporters and then not handled this properly.

John Dalziel is a local radio presenter who has worked at Wasps matches on a number of occasions- in the indoor fanzone- and done a very good job.

I believe he is a Wasps fan too.

He isn't a Wasps fan - he by his own admission knows nothing about rugby - he is a CCFC fan. Its a cost effective solution as he is the stadium presenter for football and other events and also covers Ice Hockey.

It is a bit unfortunate that he has had some abuse and as he as said on Twitter one of his team has resigned after one game
Please don't lie on the grass, unless accompanied by a fellow,
(May I be so bold as to suggest Othello)
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun they say
Beagling on the downs Oh please come they say
Rugger is the tops a game for men they say

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2021, 08:24:34 PM »
I’ve heard him at various venues