Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Northampton: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 5581 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Northampton: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2021, 07:26:23 AM »
Seem to remember Gopperth missing a few when he first came to Wasps, including one in front of the posts near the 22. Really hope something clicks with Umaga, it is almost like he needs to not care about the outcome.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2021, 08:03:38 AM »
Andy - absolutely agree with every word,  especially about Nicky Robinson (who hated kicking).  The loudspeaker seemed clearer, the 'Announcer' called us 'Coventry' instead of 'Wasps'  (imagine the riot if he'd got the names the wrong way round at a football match)  and  pronounced 'Umaga'  all wrong until the second half.  Loved watching Jeff going round winding up the opposition with a little word here and there!  All together it was a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch and just as a rugby match should be, and thank you to both teams and coaches.  Very concerned  for Jamma;  afraid that it could be his last hurrah but very very much hoping that I am quite wrong.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2021, 08:58:59 AM »
I thought that was a massive step forward and one of our best performances in a long time. We’ve long been a great side with broken field and ball in hand, but when the going got tough and we were under pressure would leak tries and end up relying on just trying to score more.

Today was a really mature performance - we defended our 22 to the extent they ended up relying on set plays to get into that zone for the second half; we won big collisions, our defensive line didn’t give ground, starved them of space and gaps and were committed in the tackle. That was a top Saints team and we went into an arm wrestle with them and won. We showed another dimension other than just trying to ‘win pretty’. We didn’t chase the game but fought our way back in, and then put them under so much pressure in the second half they just kept making mistakes. Game management was excellent.

Ultimately Gopps saved Umaga’s backside when he came on and kicked the pens. Understandable it could be a confidence thing, but the kick missed before half time was a shocker and he needs to sort it at this level. I remember Nick Robinson being brilliant with ball in hand, but his awful kicking ended up costing us games because there was no scoreboard pressure being built.

I think today carried a very big hallmark of Mitchell’s influence. Gritty, mature, organised and determined. We were as physically good as I’ve seen for ages - and that’s the guys left from a side that is decimated by injuries. Inspiring stuff!

+1

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »
Andy - absolutely agree with every word,  especially about Nicky Robinson (who hated kicking).  The loudspeaker seemed clearer, the 'Announcer' called us 'Coventry' instead of 'Wasps'  (imagine the riot if he'd got the names the wrong way round at a football match)  and  pronounced 'Umaga'  all wrong until the second half.  Loved watching Jeff going round winding up the opposition with a little word here and there!  All together it was a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch and just as a rugby match should be, and thank you to both teams and coaches.  Very concerned  for Jamma;  afraid that it could be his last hurrah but very very much hoping that I am quite wrong.

I thought I misheard the Coventry commentary plus he was prone to saying "your Wasps"  as if he was not part. Also his choice of music stinks.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »
Very concerned  for Jamma;  afraid that it could be his last hurrah but very very much hoping that I am quite wrong.

+1

Jamma has been a solid player over a long time (seems forever, but it is 7 years and over 100 appearances). He will be 32 next May, and I suspect his contract will be up this season too. To have this happen a few weeks before the contract negotiations happen is not good.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2021, 09:56:10 AM »
Not watched the full match back yet, but from some of the posts re the Gaskell injury, I'm guessing there was some painful looking footage on a replay to cause such concern.  I was sitting a few rows back in that corner of the ground, but didn't see exactly how it happened.  Although it was clear that there was a lot of initial concern, once he sat up he was chatting quite comfortably with the medical team, and no hint of a pained expression on his face.  At that point I was feeling quite relieved that perhaps it was not as bad as first feared.  Fingers crossed for him.

Not a fan of the new announcer.  Clearly no knowledge of the game, the club, the players etc.  You got the gig, so do your homework.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »

I thought I misheard the Coventry commentary plus he was prone to saying "your Wasps"  as if he was not part. Also his choice of music stinks.

Also: we don't need "We Will Rock You" at every break in play, and , although Brainbug's Nightmare is one my playlist the intro is too long for it to be played during a match.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
Also: we don't need "We Will Rock You" at every break in play

+1.  With bells on.  Bin it forever.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2021, 10:06:34 AM »
Also: we don't need "We Will Rock You" at every break in play

+1.  With bells on.  Bin it forever.

+2 Bring back Back in Black - quite apt this season.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2021, 10:11:27 AM »
Not a fan of the new announcer.  Clearly no knowledge of the game, the club, the players etc.  You got the gig, so do your homework.

Was it my imagination or did he announce Gabriel Oghre coming on with Cruse going off for a HIA as a tactical replacement by Coventry?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2021, 10:11:53 AM »
He definitely called us Coventry in the first half - cringing moment for him. But he stopped shushing people at kick time. We will rock you - just annoying. I note we also have a new 10 - Jacob Youmaga.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »
It's tempting to compile a team of misspelt or mispronounced players this season, with Nick Frost, Zach Willis and Jacob Youmaga already making their debuts this season...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2021, 10:47:56 AM »

Was it my imagination or did he announce Gabriel Oghre coming on with Cruse going off for a HIA as a tactical replacement by Coventry?

Yep

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2021, 11:14:17 AM »
He got even worse for the Ladies game, Abby Dow got 2 quick tries and then after she completed her hat trick the announcer called her by a completely different name altogether.

The break in play music was very odd indeed and certainly didn't add to the ambience of the match.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2021, 11:16:49 AM »
"I think today carried a very big hallmark of Mitchell’s influence. Gritty, mature, organised and determined. We were as physically good as I’ve seen for ages - and that’s the guys left from a side that is decimated by injuries. Inspiring stuff!"

Andy - a Waikato reboot to 2002.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 12:17:07 PM by backdoc »