Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Northampton: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 5579 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Northampton: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
Seem to remember Gopperth missing a few when he first came to Wasps, including one in front of the posts near the 22. Really hope something clicks with Umaga, it is almost like he needs to not care about the outcome.

Can remember Gopps kicking being off for Leinster against us , after it was announced he was coming to Wasps. Kept thinking through the game why have we signed him!

My Concern is Umaga can’t seem to get back to back good kicking games, which would do his confidence ( and my heart rate) a world of good.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2021, 01:03:00 PM »
Seem to remember Gopperth missing a few when he first came to Wasps, including one in front of the posts near the 22. Really hope something clicks with Umaga, it is almost like he needs to not care about the outcome.

Can remember Gopps kicking being off for Leinster against us , after it was announced he was coming to Wasps. Kept thinking through the game why have we signed him!

My Concern is Umaga can’t seem to get back to back good kicking games, which would do his confidence ( and my heart rate) a world of good.

Even yesterday he kicked a cracker from the wing but missed from directly in front. It is his inconsistency that is a concern.
We left 12 points out there yesterday that would have made a hell of a difference.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2021, 01:07:32 PM »
Well Jeff 2maga-Allen has had his name mispronounced since he got here and knew Lima found it funny his name got pronounced as though it was Sopowanga here - took a while for Nizam Carr To get his debut with us, before it was Nazeem Carr for a while

MarleyWasp

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2021, 01:30:03 PM »
Stats from the match attached. If you count missed kicks and disallowed tries it could have been a 45-24 win but it doesn't really look it from those stats; 16 penalties conceded,  82% tackle success rate, fewer clean breaks and defenders beaten etc...

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2021, 01:35:10 PM »
Even yesterday he kicked a cracker from the wing but missed from directly in front. It is his inconsistency that is a concern.
We left 12 points out there yesterday that would have made a hell of a difference.

When that first one from the touchline went over I thought to myself "Good, that will do his confidence the power of good and he'll have a decent day off the tee now.".  Not quite how it turned out.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2021, 01:42:49 PM »
Very concerned  for Jamma;  afraid that it could be his last hurrah but very very much hoping that I am quite wrong.

+1

Jamma has been a solid player over a long time (seems forever, but it is 7 years and over 100 appearances). He will be 32 next May, and I suspect his contract will be up this season too. To have this happen a few weeks before the contract negotiations happen is not good.

I think the sad thing is at some point much like Taylor, Brookes, Big Mac etc, you have to look at the injury record and decide on if they are worth the value assigned to them for game time.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2021, 03:32:56 PM »
Jacob is slightly worrying, I think. Maybe he is trying too hard.  When  Jimmy was getting ready to kick it looked as if Jacob was expecting it to be him, and each time that it wasn't (at least 3 times)  he turned and walked away looking miserable.  And his head was down, staring at the grass.  He looked so sad and unhappy  that you felt really really concerned  for him, poor lad.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2021, 04:10:28 PM »
Jacob is slightly worrying, I think. Maybe he is trying too hard.  When  Jimmy was getting ready to kick it looked as if Jacob was expecting it to be him, and each time that it wasn't (at least 3 times)  he turned and walked away looking miserable.  And his head was down, staring at the grass.  He looked so sad and unhappy  that you felt really really concerned  for him, poor lad.
Maybe that’s why Jimmy missed one , to show it can happen to anyone?

hopwood

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2021, 06:05:44 PM »
"I think today carried a very big hallmark of Mitchell’s influence. Gritty, mature, organised and determined. We were as physically good as I’ve seen for ages - and that’s the guys left from a side that is decimated by injuries. Inspiring stuff!"

Andy - a Waikato reboot to 2002.

Absolutely. 100%