Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Oghre cited  (Read 4955 times)

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Oghre cited
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 07:23:08 PM »
CMK stopped play to view the tackle; made his decision and Gaby was punished.
Now Gaby has been cited? That doesn’t seem like natural justice to me.
Agreed, but Hughes (quite correctly) got his CMK red card and ban rescinded by the judiciary (on appeal)  if I remember rightly. That seemed like justice at the time. Maybe things will go the other way this time.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 07:48:34 PM »
There were two similar seatbelt tackles by Saints in the second half after Oghre’s Yellow.  Amazed it’s been cited, looked far worse in slow motion than it was and is in real time.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 09:10:14 PM »
There were two similar seatbelt tackles by Saints in the second half after Oghre’s Yellow.  Amazed it’s been cited, looked far worse in slow motion than it was and is in real time.

The seat belt tackles were exactly that. High, but penalty only and not card worthy. Gaby's was firmly in the orange, yellow being the fortunate result. I think he can beat the citing because of that, but no guarantees.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 05:12:22 AM »
Will be tough on Eckersley if he is required, believe he was travelling reserve a few times at the end of last season and that wouldn’t have happened if they didn’t think he could manage. Nearchou is definitely ahead in development but not sure how much throwing he would have done  as never saw him feature at hooker when lining up with Barbeary at U18s level - maybe he’ll be coming in for extras with Blaze now.

I reckon we just wack in scholtz or Alo in at hooker and get Dobby to throw in like in 7s

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 08:56:47 AM »
I'd back Eckersley to make the step up. This is where we have to trust the academy boys, that they have trained for this and will make the step up.

Wish we had that wonderkid hooker whose been playing and that everyone has been talking about....

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 09:55:33 AM »
If an academy lad does step up to the 1st team as cover do they only get to cross the bridge at the training centre for the week or does it confer rights for life???

Waspwaisted

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »
Suggests we may be able to fight it. I suspect we'll look to doing so.

https://twitter.com/rugbyandthelaw/status/1447605908117336065

Interesting. I did think at the time that TY's tackle on Harrison affected Gaby's tackle.

Completely agree - this is relevant as part of why Mitchell dropped lower - best seen at 4:02 on the You Tube Clip.  Mitchell dropping is most clearly seen by looking at the head in the crowd that reveals itself as he falls.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:08:34 AM by Waspwaisted »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »
Well, the decision/verdict will be made today, as he is up before the beak today (virtually of course).

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 12:35:26 PM »
It's rare that a citing overturns the decision of the officials on the day.  It's not like it was something that just went completely unspotted in real time, it was examined at some length on the day.  If the panel issues a ban, they are basically telling the officials that they got it wrong, and so it would have to be an absolute howler of a wrong decision for the panel to undermine them like that. CMK, together with his TMO gave their reasoning for yellow only.  Personally, watching in the ground without the benefit of being able to eavesdrop on their discussion, I was fully expecting red, but having heard some of their conversation, they present a reasonable case for yellow only.  The officials will be among those putting forward evidence and will be wanting to defend their own decision, so that and, if I'm being mildly cynical, the politics of being seen to back the ref in all but the most clear and obvious wrong calls, will probably work in Gaby's favour.

Not just saying this because we're talking about a Wasps player, but I'm not a fan of too many red cards for relatively innocuous and entirely non-malicious incidents like this one.  All for protecting the players and tough sanctions to deter real recklessness, but yellow enough here IMO.  Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 01:09:19 PM »
I think the TMO thought it should be red but CMK stuck to his guns and showed Gaby yellow.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 03:43:04 PM »
I think the TMO thought it should be red but CMK stuck to his guns and showed Gaby yellow.

That's how I understood it listening to Reflink.

It all seemed to hinge on the fact that Gabby dislodged the ball first.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »
I don't suppose we'll hear until tomorrow but presumably Gaby and the club will know the verdict tonight?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 11:13:03 AM »
3 week ban. Looks like he pleaded guilty to the panel, therefore 50% reduction for mid-range offence.

https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/c2/c2880783-dbf1-46f6-8b40-fddc756c9125/OghreWaspsJudgmentOct21(final).pdf

If he completes the World Rugby's Head Contact Process Coaching Intervention course in time fo the Bath game they'll knock a week of the ban off and allow him to play.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:20:02 AM by ardenwasp »

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 11:26:10 AM »
Very nice to be able to read the report, and gives clarity to the process and submission of evidence. Seems a fair outcome, so hopefully will see Oghre back in time for the Bath game.

How is Cruise getting on with his return to play? Selection for hooker and replacement will be interesting this week.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 12:18:38 PM »
Deliberate poke to the eye and a mouthful to the ref = 2 weeks. This equals 3. Something is wrong with that.