Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Morning all!  (Read 1560 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Morning all!
« on: October 16, 2021, 06:16:04 AM »
A very very good morning to all Waspies from a still dark and quiet Guildford! Even the lark briefly opened one eye to see what I was doing awake at this time, but an early night and excitement about today’s game over-rode any melatonin floating around my body, thus the coffee is on the go, the dog is to be walked and then it is getting ready to see our lads run out at the CBS to take on Baxter’s Chiefs.

Let’s get the elephant in the room out the way. I for one am fully supportive of our clubs stance that it has taken this week. It was an informed and measured piece and recognises that this is a problem that requires unanimity and joint working to resolve. When important subjects like this are raised you are going to see arguments from both sides, yet it is important that respect is shown to each other’s points and healthy debate occurs, in order to find a resolution that reflects what should be all of our core values of respect of all cultures, inclusivity, equality and diversity.

Now to the game! You know with Baxter’s Chiefs that you have a team of quality, who play a highly effective game with a wonderful measure of control at the set piece, power in the forwards and pace in the backs. It is to his and Exeter’s credit that they have been in 6 consecutive finals, and have won this tournament and Europe as well. You do not achieve this without consistency in performance at the highest level, and that is exactly what we will be facing when we take on a very strong Chiefs team today.

Wherever you look their are interesting battles. Can Booj martial Slade, will the impressive Simmonds beat our ever improving a highly capable Tom at 8? How will our new front row of Hislop, Frost and JTA stand up against a formidable Hepburn, LCD and Williams? Also the battle of the 9s in Maunder v Robbo & also when Hougaard makes his debut for us and faces off against Hidalgo-Clyne. Our ever impressive list of injuries to hugely important players seems to be our constant albatross, but our team are developing a fortitude in performance, a hunger in defence whilst retaining that attacking mindset. This is a league that needs everyone from the whole squad and coaches performing and we are starting to realise that potential.

For me it all comes down to who imposes their game plan today…and whilst the lads are giving their all, let’s make sure they can hear us Waspies in the stands supporting them all the way! It would be great to enjoy my curry main tonight with a winning side!  ;D

Come on you Wasps!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Morning all!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 06:54:13 AM »
Good morning everyone. You know what you get from Exe. Have we got something up our sleeve to catch them out.? They'll be new to Fifita but be no surprise to Stooke. Get in their collective face and ruffle some Devonian feathers. Looking forward to the game. Let's take 4 or even 5 points and send them back to the setting sun empty handed.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 07:00:01 AM »
A very still good morning to all.

Out with the dog and really can't see much. Isn't the early morning darkness encroaching fast. Overcast here but still mild so hoping for a fast pitch today. Unfortunately I think that will benefit Exeter too.

After their display last week I can't say I am hopeful especially with our mounting injury pile.

Safe travels to all and here's hoping that the chips are for sale today.

COYW
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »
Good morning one and all from yet another pub car park, this time the a White House, Sennybridge, after another excellent meal.  The chief navigator is under instructions to get us home before 3pm.

I will be happy with a LBP today, not because I think Chiefs are a much better side, I don’t, but because the disruption caused by injuries and bringing in new players makes it that bit harder to play as a team and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. I’d like to see the grit and game control they showed in the firs 20 minutes last week, if we can do that perhaps we can get a win.

Safe travels to those of you heading to the game. 

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 08:06:33 AM »
Morning All from a brightening Essex. The cloud is breaking up to reveal a blue sky. Can’t say how the temperature is ,as haven’t put a foot out the door yet, but let’s hope the game will be bright and warm too!

Will be a tough old game and we are definitely 2nd best with the bookies , so a LBP and no injuries will be a win for me.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 08:26:09 AM »
Morning all from an overcast Banbury.

Excellent opening post from Wombles so much so that its hard to add much to the thread other than I think we can win today as i've seen a marked improvement in our defence from last season and I truly believe we can beat any team at the CBS.

COYW

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 08:29:08 AM »
Warning - anyone who uses the M11 - it is shut going North until Monday.  Junctions 9 to 10.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 08:38:23 AM »
Good morning everyone from a rather cloudy Herefordshire/Wales border; I can see the border on the top of the mountain  but only just.  The cloud colours are amazing tho' - very Turneresque.  I'm a bit concerned about this match as Exeter tend to steamroller their opposition but I have  faith in our team and their skills and determination, and one great drawback of ours  (the great 20 minute Walkabout where we went to sleep) seems to have finally been eliminated.  I would really really love it if our team come out on top but would settle for a bonus point.  Daughter and g/son are involved in g/son's club rugby today and can't come with us,  but our neighbour can - nearly bit Mr. W's hand off when asked if he'd like to come along with us!  Very wise. Safe journeys  to everyone wherever you are.  and C  O  Y  W .  . . .  Allez x 3.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 08:41:55 AM »
Morning all.

Not expecting a win today, would mostly like to see a half decent performance with signs of potential improvement.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »
Morning folks. A really late start for me. Feeling hungover, which is really unfair, as, since my heart attack, I haven't had the pleasure of being drinking or eating anything that would cause one. All the pain and no pleasure.

I have a feeling that may be what our players feel like after the game. Light clouds, warm, blue sky appearing, no wind. I can't think of a more ideal day to play rugby. We have quality dotted through our team, with bring yer boots players (good players nonetheless) filling the gaps. How well they meld as a team will be the key.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »
Warning - anyone who uses the M11 - it is shut going North until Monday.  Junctions 9 to 10.

Thought it was J8 to J10?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 08:50:09 AM »

Yes you are taken off at 8 with the work between 9 and 10. Not sure if you can use 9 to go towards Newmarket though. Still a bugger. Only one way though.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 09:00:03 AM »
Morning all from another grey and rather gloomy S Glos - tea in hand, painkillers working for my back I put out reaching for a pack of tea in the supermarket yesterday and the dog looking at me wondering why I'm grumpy....

As for the game - I too would welcome a good performance, no injuries and more evidence of a plan for when "it's not on". A LBP would be great.

If we give away silly penalties and concede too many lineouts in our 22 we're going to have a very long afternoon. We need to play to our strengths which are the pack's back 5, an international 9 and two of the best wingers on the Prem. Playing a more dull, "Jonny Wilkinson" style game plan in our own half might be a good starting point when thinking what to.

If we don't "frame" as my granny used to say - it won't be pleasant viewing.......

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 09:14:49 AM »

Yes you are taken off at 8 with the work between 9 and 10. Not sure if you can use 9 to go towards Newmarket though. Still a bugger. Only one way though.

Good luck !

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »

Good luck !

Needed (M25 M1 now favourite - not).