Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who is missing?  (Read 2200 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Who is missing?
« on: October 17, 2021, 07:50:05 AM »
Just trying to work out how close to a whole team we have missing

1. West
2. Cruse / Frost
4. Launchbury
5. Gaskell / TV3
6. Willis
7. Oghre
8. Barbeary
10. Atkinson
11. Minozzi
12. Mills
13. Fekitoa
14. Odogwu
15. Miller

Are we actually at full strength at tight head?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:20:22 AM by wasps »

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Who is missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 08:04:50 AM »
I'm not sure if Biyi Alo is match ready or not, if he is then we are at full strength at Tight Head.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 08:25:01 AM »
Alo was in kit at the match yesterday, as was Minozzi although from what I’ve read Minozzi had only just started training last week.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 08:29:51 AM »
I am going to ask some awkward ones. There are plenty from yesterday I would not drop to make way for those returning. I think we may end up rotating.

Would you have Cruse or Frost? I mean, right now, on form?

Would you really drop Stooke or Fifita, or both?

Tom Willis or Barbeary?

I would rather have Bassett than Minozzi, and Crossdale over Miller.

My 'starting' 15 would be

1 Robin Hislop
2 Dan Frost
4 Vaea Fifita
5 Elliott Stooke
6 Brad Shields (c)
7 Thomas Young
8 Tom Willis

9 Dan Robson
10 Jacob Umaga
11 Josh Bassett
12 Michael Le Bourgeois
13 Malakai Fekitoa
14 Zach Kibirige
15 Ali Crossdale

Oh, but what about Harris, West, Cruse, Launchbury Jack Willis, Barbeary, Odogwu? For now, on the bench. You don't get to come back unless you earn it. The guys above I have listed have earned the right to start, and, IMHO, are the best we currently have (injured or not) in those positions.

What about Watson, Miller, Minozzi, Mills, Gaskell? What indeed. Waiting for one of the others to get injured, or for their contract to expire. Right now, this week probably, Lee is working out, of the ones whose contract expires, he wants to keep. Within two weeks those who are not being offered a contract, or ones not being offered a contract of sufficient value (in their minds), will know and will start the looking around. They don't get a lot of time to say 'Yes' or 'No, as Wasps have to start looking around also. In some cases, academy players will either already be lined up for certain promotion, or possible, to replace first team leavers. Some will be lined up for release.

The big enigma, and the reason we are not further down the table right now, is Jimmy. We got a LBP because of Jimmy yesterday. We won the Saints match because of Jimmy. Without Jimmy we would only have 7 points I think.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 08:46:05 AM »
I think we may end up rotating.

The way we've been forced to defend I reckon that's a certainty. If the likes of Willis, Shields, Young don't get injured directly their tired bodies will give in at some point.

Rotation probably not as important with the back 3, 9 and 10 but their work load still needs to be managed. 

Tom Willis or Barbeary?

That was Rob Baxter's point pre-match when asked about some of his players, notably Joe Simmonds, you pick the ones who are on form and training well and no matter how big the name is coming back from injury they have to earn their place.

Nobody has a right to a place in a team, it breeds complacency.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 09:38:25 AM »
I am going to ask some awkward ones. There are plenty from yesterday I would not drop to make way for those returning. I think we may end up rotating.

Tom Willis or Barbeary?

My 'starting' 15 would be

1 Robin Hislop
2 Dan Frost
4 Vaea Fifita
5 Elliott Stooke
6 Brad Shields (c)
7 Thomas Young
8 Tom Willis

9 Dan Robson
10 Jacob Umaga
11 Josh Bassett
12 Michael Le Bourgeois
13 Malakai Fekitoa
14 Zach Kibirige
15 Ali Crossdale

Oh, but what about Harris, West, Cruse, Launchbury Jack Willis, Barbeary, Odogwu? For now, on the bench. You don't get to come back unless you earn it. The guys above I have listed have earned the right to start, and, IMHO, are the best we currently have (injured or not) in those positions.

What about Watson, Miller, Minozzi, Mills, Gaskell? What indeed. Waiting for one of the others to get injured, or for their contract to expire. Right now, this week probably, Lee is working out, of the ones whose contract expires, he wants to keep. Within two weeks those who are not being offered a contract, or ones not being offered a contract of sufficient value (in their minds), will know and will start the looking around. They don't get a lot of time to say 'Yes' or 'No, as Wasps have to start looking around also. In some cases, academy players will either already be lined up for certain promotion, or possible, to replace first team leavers. Some will be lined up for release.

The big enigma, and the reason we are not further down the table right now, is Jimmy. We got a LBP because of Jimmy yesterday. We won the Saints match because of Jimmy. Without Jimmy we would only have 7 points I think.

Hard to argue with any of that. Frost has impressed me massively, playing with real hunger and looking to be a great signing. I think it's been said on a previous thread, but whoever scouted him did a great job.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »

I think Tom Willis is justifiably our first choice No.8.

There's big question marks around Barbeary and Jack Willis.
They've both had multiple serious injuries in a short space of time... I'm always worried whether players can really come back from that as the same player - jack's already done it once, let's hope for a second time.

If Jack is fully recovered then he's gotta be a starter.
Barbeary is a star looking for a position so I don't know what his status will be when he returns.

... And quite frankly, I would be wanting to bring Joe launchbury back in when he's fully fit.
Stooke and Fifita have been very good, but a fit launchbury is a different level.

Launchbury, Stooke, Shields, Jack, Tom is a great starting back 5
Fifita and Barbeary is a fearsome impact bench
(Or some combination of that)

The front row is more awkward, but I would think that West would be in with a strong shout of being involved when he's available.
That being said, I really want to see Hislop and Frost play some more games because they look really good and it'll be interesting to see how they perform over a longer period of time

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 10:03:40 AM »
I think Frost and Oghre can be added to the missing list. But Harris comes out at LH - he is playing.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 10:21:36 AM »
I think Frost and Oghre can be added to the missing list. But Harris comes out at LH - he is playing.

I've cheated a bit and put Oghre at 7.

Is Cardall fit?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 10:39:57 AM »

Is Cardall fit?

Tim came on yesterday, so I would say yes.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »

Is Cardall fit?

Tim came on yesterday, so I would say yes.

😀😀
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 11:27:04 AM »
Which reminds me, I wonder where his younger brother, Will, is? He played in an A team game a few years back, but I think he also played in the Tiger's youth team, as a lock (5). A year, or maybe 2, younger than Tim, I think he would be maybe 22 now. I seem to recall the family lives out the other side of Northampton (I chatted with Tim's mum at that game, and she is a Saints fan as I remember), maybe Oundle? The younger brother was slightly shorter than Tim, and struck me as if he would be better playing at 7. He played a lot like Thomas Young, scrapping in the loose and pretty nippy on his feet. I think he was at Nottingham Trent Uni studying to be a Surveyor. He should have graduated maybe a year of two ago. Maybe he decided to pursue that as a career.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 12:43:15 PM »
Which reminds me, I wonder where his younger brother, Will, is? He played in an A team game a few years back, but I think he also played in the Tiger's youth team, as a lock (5). A year, or maybe 2, younger than Tim, I think he would be maybe 22 now. I seem to recall the family lives out the other side of Northampton (I chatted with Tim's mum at that game, and she is a Saints fan as I remember), maybe Oundle? The younger brother was slightly shorter than Tim, and struck me as if he would be better playing at 7. He played a lot like Thomas Young, scrapping in the loose and pretty nippy on his feet. I think he was at Nottingham Trent Uni studying to be a Surveyor. He should have graduated maybe a year of two ago. Maybe he decided to pursue that as a career.

Just googled him. It’s not clear what Will Cardall is now doing.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 01:29:03 PM »
Launchbury (and I reckon Jack Willis), have earned the starting shirt if they're fit. No matter how well the team is going, they have done better in the past and absolutely walk into the shirt for me.

That said, I'd be happy to have them on the bench at first for match fitness purposes.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 03:04:24 PM »
I think Cruse shod be first choice, and missing a week because of HIA protocols doesn't equate losing the shirt.

He has literally never let us down in that shirt, he scrummages well, he throws straight, he's great in the loose, and he is a leader on the field.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here