Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 4040 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »
A Wasps Rumour -

We are interested in Exeter's Sam Skinner apparently.
Telegraph reporting he has signed for Edinburgh. They also say Jonny Hill is off to Sale to replace de Jagger.

Excellent news.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 12:40:00 PM »
From today's Telegraph.

Exeter set for double blow with Jonny Hill and Sam Skinner heading for exit

Exeter are struggling to balance the books with the salary cap coming down to £5million

Exeter are bracing themselves for a double blow with international forwards Jonny Hill and Sam Skinner both heading towards the exit door in the summer.

Skinner, the Scotland flanker, is understood to have agreed a deal to join Edinburgh next summer while England second row Hill is attracting strong interest from Sale. The Sharks are in the market for a replacement for Springbok lock Lood de Jager who looks set to return to South Africa.

Exeter are struggling to balance the books with the salary cap coming down to £5million this season and having retained the core of their squad for several years Rob Baxter now faces some painful decisions. Hill has blossomed under his watch since being picked up from Gloucester’s academy, establishing himself as a first-choice England international and earning a call up to the Lions tour last summer.

Skinner too has come on leaps and bounds having come through the Chiefs academy and his move to Edinburgh will help cement his place in the Scotland team. Speaking earlier this week, director of rugby Baxter anticipated the difficulties of retaining his current squad.

“There is no doubt – and other DORs will probably say this if they’re being honest – if you look at how hard it is to put a squad together in two years’ time, compared to some of the squads that you see knocking around Europe, especially your top Irish provinces and your top French clubs, it’s gonna be tough,” Baxter said. “You are suddenly talking about half a half a cap, almost half the amount spent on the squad.

“It's a big chunk of what you're spending your squad so that realignment of what salary expectations will be, will be will be challenging. That will also make other markets more attractive so the Welsh regions and Scottish regions for your dual-qualified players become more attractive. There's going to be a significant shift in that picture, probably a bigger shift than people really anticipate.”

How can Sale accommodate Hill in their salary cap when they have superstars like Tuilagi, Ford and Faf to name but three ?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:43:24 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 02:28:21 PM »
Sale had a lot of big name players sign new deals quickly last summer so only 75% counts towards the cap.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2021, 02:58:03 PM »
They must be close to the cap with Hill and Ford arriving.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 03:08:23 PM »
A Wasps Rumour -

We are interested in Exeter's Sam Skinner apparently.
Telegraph reporting he has signed for Edinburgh. They also say Jonny Hill is off to Sale to replace de Jagger.

Excellent news.

;)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2021, 06:00:36 PM »
We don't need yet more forwards, we have a pack that's about right now.
We need some intelligent, ball playing backs, players that make a positive impact whenever they touch the ball, a point of difference.. and MUST have sound rugby basics.
Say what you like about our backs but they appear devoid in most of these elements...I'd happily clear out at least a couple.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 10:02:22 PM »
We need a dependable, reliable, consistent 10; and a 12 and 13

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 11:04:55 PM »
Definitely

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2021, 08:11:51 AM »

We have very good options in the front row - both starters and backup options.
The same is true in the 2nd row - assuming launchbury returns as good as ever
The back row is also an area of strength in terms of quality and quantity - although I'm increasingly worried about Jack

The only addition I'd want in the forwards would be an open side flanker who excels on the ground, but under the circumstances that's a bit of a luxury.

In the backs, our starting option at 9 is fantastic. Backup is questionable, but are least there are 3 backup options.
By far the biggest problem is the centres, in terms of both starting quality and sheer numbers. (Assuming Fekitoa is off). Odogwu may be an option if he returns well, but he hadn't completely nailed down centre before his injury.

Our back 3 is adequate, and while I'd prefer better options they're not as much of a priority as centre.
And that's where I stand for fly half too. The club have pinned the future on Jacob with Charlie as backup, and Jimmy/miller covering. I can accept that if we focus on sorting out the centres otherwise we'll forever be mixing and matching a back line

So, sign 3 or 4 centres, then worry about fly half

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2021, 11:09:12 AM »
Front Row - We are comfortable with Koch now in. Depends what happens with JTA but we should have cash left over from Brookes to cover him, plus reckon Big Mac and Taylor as Frost, Hislop and Millar Mills will be low value.

Second Row - With Fifita and Stooke joining Gask/Launch and Cardall/Vuka back up then we should be comfortable. Saw we are linked to Hill but do we need him? Probably not

Back Row - Again well stocked. With Young off, i'd be keen to get our hands on another 7 whose good over the ball as reckon Alfie/T Willis/J Willis could be busy with England in future. Maybe a Hinkley from Exeter?

Scrum Half - Robson is awesome but so far Hougaard has looked a poor choice and Porter/Wolstenholme don't look like they are making the step up as of yet.

Fly Half  - Club has chosen Atkinson/Umaga to rotate and i support it. Think Atkinson will start to take over in future but happy with these two. Maybe an old head to cover when Jimmy finally breaks down. I also like Mathews to cover 10/12.

Centre - Real area of doubt. Fekitoa is likely off and who knows what Mills will be like when back. Odogwu is a star but needs time to get up to speed and Le Boug/Spink/Simmonds isn't enough to cover. We need two Prem quality centres to make up for Fekitoa. Also feel like Hartley isn't far off promotion to Prem team.

Back 3 - Again needs some work. Crossdale is quality and Bassett is a warhorse but Watson/Kilbrige haven't had good seasons and Anderson &Mehson are young. Miller needs to be fit but seems to constantly be injured and for me Minozzi isn't worth what i'd imagine we pay him.

So in summary Centre/Back 3 has to be worked on. The question is .... whose on the market?

Also thought Ed Robinson spoke very well when interviewed.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2021, 11:23:10 AM »
Scrum Half - Robson is awesome but so far Hougaard has looked a poor choice and Porter/Wolstenholme don't look like they are making the step up as of yet.

Think Wolstenholme is coming on very nicely this season.  Hougaard has not so far proved to be the reliable, experienced, consistent, high quality back up for Robson that many of us hoped when his signing was announced.  To be fair to him, his most recent appearances have been plugging a hole on the wing rather than at 9 where he was signed to play.  Still hopeful that he will come good.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
re: Malakai, have I missed an article suggesting he's off or are we assuming that as he's out of contract and rumoured to be expensive that he'll be off?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 11:27:19 AM »
For me it’s just the centres. Mehson has shown enough to suggest he can play in that back three and we have good youngsters backing up. Centres wise you’d have to think Fekitoa goes. That leaves us with Gopperth, le Bourgeois, Odogwu (not pinning my centre hopes on him yet), Mills, Hartley and Spink who from what I’ve seen could feasibly be in the 23. Conclusion is that we need to add one centre to that lot who you would recognise as a starter. Who? Difficult. If it’s not a SH deal I’d take either of the James brothers from Sale who are enjoying a bit too much bench time and play for a team who may be nearing the cap.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2021, 12:10:45 PM »
Have we really got room for six 2nd row players? Given Gaskell's injury record is he worth keeping once his contract is up?

CV2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2021, 12:34:28 PM »
Have we really got room for six 2nd row players? Given Gaskell's injury record is he worth keeping once his contract is up?

With the reduction in the salary cap you would think the money would be better spent in other areas. Unfortunately there will have be some brutal decisions on these regularly injured players.