Always a Wasp

Author Topic: BT commentators  (Read 3286 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BT commentators
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 07:09:35 AM »
Also think Loz didn’t want to move further North at the time.

Would definitely have him back though and surprised he’s not seen as an alternative to Slade at 13 for England these days, Slade has definitely profited from Loz being away and Manu being injured all the time.

This was the main reason that was given at the time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 07:26:53 AM »
Stephen Jones - No relation to me despite having the same surname :-) Used to attend Wasps games at Adams Park. I dont think he as there to report on the games.

Peter, he lives in the area. I believe one of his sons also plays/did play locally.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »
Billy didn't want to leave  Wasps. He was  crying on the field at the end of his final Home match at AP. and looked so unhappy.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 12:15:48 PM »
Stephen Jones - No relation to me despite having the same surname :-) Used to attend Wasps games at Adams Park. I dont think he as there to report on the games.

Peter, he lives in the area. I believe one of his sons also plays/did play locally.

Steven Jones lives in Dorney and his son played rugby at Burnham Grammar and (i believe) Maidenhead.  Steven Jones came to Wasps on occasions when not reporting as I encountered him with some friends of mine

hopwood

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 09:24:11 PM »
It was the ongoing selection of Andy Goode that prevented Loz from getting the game time he richly deserved from his impressive, albeit, sporadic performances.

If they had promoted him then, I believe he would have stayed.
He definitely looked the part in the opportunities he had.
But I think Goode’s ‘chat’ kept him in the team.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 07:12:33 AM »
The argument of 'What option does he have' seems odd to me. Surely the answer is for the tackled player to stop playing the ball on the floor.

In my view if rugby wants to be more accessible then it doesn't need new 'laws', just fewer grey areas. I like the ref calling the stages as already done with the maul.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 08:13:23 AM »
But I think Goode’s ‘chat’ kept him in the team.

That and the fact that he was something of a poster boy for the move being a local lad.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »
Plus the fact that he was actually a blooming good player.  I had noticed before he came to us that if he was in good fettle  his team always won, and if he wasn't (rare)  his team often lost.  Also we needed a maturity that Loz couldn't offer then. 

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 12:14:44 PM »
Plus the fact that he was actually a blooming good player.  I had noticed before he came to us that if he was in good fettle  his team always won, and if he wasn't (rare)  his team often lost.  Also we needed a maturity that Loz couldn't offer then.

So much this. He won us, or kept us in touch, for a lot of games. Maybe not the firecracker player we love, but reliable.

Loz at 10 didn't have the same game management, not even close, but he was clearly a talented player. Would still have loved us to try him at 12.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »

Steven Jones lives in Dorney and his son played rugby at Burnham Grammar and (i believe)
Maidenhead.  Steven Jones came to Wasps on occasions when not reporting as I encountered him with some friends of mine

About 9 years ago Mr Jones was coaching the Desborough School Boys 1st team, so had presumed that (one of ?) his boy went there? Wasn't impressed by his behaviour at the school match I watched though.