Always a Wasp

Author Topic: BT commentators  (Read 3287 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
BT commentators
« on: October 31, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »
Ben Kays comment, EAs haven't reached the level of 2 years ago but they will get there, has he forgotten how they got to that level, what is it with the love in BT have for the ETs,

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BT commentators
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 06:14:59 PM »
Talking of BT commentators, Nick Mullins committed a “crime” that both infuriates me and makes me laugh today. He referred to an excellent pass  as having “slide rule” accuracy, whenever I here that phrase Im reminded of one of my college maths teachers who used to refer to slide rules as “guessing sticks”. Accurate, they weren’t, especially in the hands of a novice. 

I also have the same feelings when they talk about something travelling like a tracer bullet.  They aren’t as accurate as, and travel slightly slower than, a normal bullet.

Apologies for hijacking your thread, but it’s nice to get that off my chest.

As to the topic at hand, it’s not just BT who have a love-in with the EAs. I’ve stopped listening to The Ruck podcast because in their eyes the EAs can do no wrong.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:03:11 PM »
Maybe it’s paranoia but in the highlights shows we never get much focus. In the Saints game the focus was on them and today it was all about Bath. And of course there’s always endless Leicester chat. Only a minor irritant as the coverage of the games themselves is really good.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 08:21:47 PM »
Maybe it’s paranoia but in the highlights shows we never get much focus. In the Saints game the focus was on them and today it was all about Bath. And of course there’s always endless Leicester chat. Only a minor irritant as the coverage of the games themselves is really good.
I noticed that too. Probably means we're not bad enough or good enough to comment on, apart from our injuries.

Hopefully that means we're flying under the radar and in a reasonable place to launch our offensive when the troops return in force at the business end of the season.

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 08:43:10 PM »
BT love in with the EAs? They’re nothing compared to Stephen Jones in The Times. Sooner he jacks in ‘journalism’ the better!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
Stephen Jones - No relation to me despite having the same surname :-) Used to attend Wasps games at Adams Park. I dont think he as there to report on the games.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 07:58:28 PM »
I had the same thought Shugs.  Not just on this occasion.

One thing that has been overlooked with the EA's is that during their period of breaking the cap rules they were able to denude other clubs of some players by bribing them with offers of potential ill gotten wealth.  We lost Daly, Loz and Billy and I cannot believe that the "rewards" on offer did not play some part.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 08:44:44 PM »
I don't actually miss any of those three (stand by for 300 smites!).

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 08:49:08 PM »
Daly's attitude on the pitch and his obvious lack of desire to play for us stills leaves a sour taste in my mouth, so no smites from me!
I do miss Loz though, he has turned into a fine player. IMO

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 08:55:59 PM »
If asked for one of those 3 I would have Loz. No bad games, and no effort vacuums.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »
Yes, I’d have Lozowski of the three. Also, I’m not sure he left because of incentivisation elsewhere. He was always badged as a 10 with us and was facing limited game time behind Cipriani and Gopperth.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 09:56:48 PM »
Another for Loz.

I was a big Daly fan from the start, but I thought the lost something and hasn’t shown any signs of getting it back: an imperceptible change of pace that allowed him run along the line, spot a gap and strike.  At his best I thought he was one of the silkiest runners in the league. 

Did anyone else note the size for Billy’s thighs when he limped off yesterday? He looks out of proportion and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of his injury problems.   

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 10:20:55 PM »
He was always ....  er ....  large about the legs, and when he got injuries they were always  involving the ankles or knees, even when he was  only 18. 

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 10:27:33 PM »
I had the same thought Shugs.  Not just on this occasion.

One thing that has been overlooked with the EA's is that during their period of breaking the cap rules they were able to denude other clubs of some players by bribing them with offers of potential ill gotten wealth.  We lost Daly, Loz and Billy and I cannot believe that the "rewards" on offer did not play some part.

Billy left because his mum told him to.

His father worked for Sarries and his elder brother was already there. She didn't want the two brothers playing against each other and played the "family loyalty" card, She actually gave an interview about it which was in one of the daily papers.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 12:06:47 AM »
Also think Loz didn’t want to move further North at the time.

Would definitely have him back though and surprised he’s not seen as an alternative to Slade at 13 for England these days, Slade has definitely profited from Loz being away and Manu being injured all the time.