Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Player Ratings After Falcons Match  (Read 1265 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Player Ratings After Falcons Match
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 08:36:28 AM »
Sounds like Pichardie, Matthews, Cardall and Nearchou all had good games. In particular Hartley impressed, may well be our solution at 12.

Does raise questions, will Pichardie and Nearchou be the next intended promotions from the academy? Will Matthews get a deal extension? And will Hartley get some opportunities at 12 in the prem?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 08:42:54 AM »
Interesting read. Obviously quite a lot to think on. Looking forward to the TV replay.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 08:53:06 AM »
Thank you HDAWG.  I'd been looking for those.  What a cracking collection of boys coming thro'.  Lets hope we can keep most of them.  It speaks well too for the Headhunters and the Coaches.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 09:26:39 AM »
Interesting read. Obviously quite a lot to think on. Looking forward to the TV replay.

+1 otherwise can't comment.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 09:40:13 AM »
BBC Newcastle reporters were very complimentary of the Wasps youngsters.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 10:09:39 AM »
Sounds very encouraging. I must admit I really like Cardall. He’s been unlucky not to be a regular 1 st pick with Launchbury out. Some of the others sound like they’ve put their hand up which was all that could be asked.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 02:22:20 PM »
Hartley is sounding like he could be very handy for us even this season, with how injuries are going.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 02:28:17 PM »
The rugby paper has a feature on Hartley today - young guns, by Fissler.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 04:20:29 PM »
The rugby paper has a feature on Hartley today - young guns, by Fissler.

Any chance that you could post the article here?

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 06:03:06 PM »
Here goes [after much toil and failure]

YOUNG GUNS

WASPS CENTRE

OLLY Hartley yesterday took his first steps towards emulating his England trialist dad Gary when he made his Wasps debut in their Premiership Cup clash with Newcastle Falcons.

The 19-year-old inside centre went to Whitgift school in Croydon, whose famous alumni include Elliott Daly, Marland Yarde, Danny Cipriani and Harry Williams.

Hartley, who has trained with England U20s this season, was delighted to get his first run-out in first-team colours.

He said: “It’s like a little stepping stone towards being a first-team player in the Premiership. It’s a great chance to show what you are about at this level.

“All week, it’s been full-steam ahead. Wasps are not going to throw boys under the bus when they feel that they are not ready. They know when boys are physically and mentally ready to play at the top level.

“That is probably why Wasps have such a good record at producing young players and playing them in the firstteam.”

He hopes to follow in the footsteps of his dad who was also a centre and played 240 games for Nottingham alongside Brian Moore, Simon Hodgkinson and Gary Rees.

“I’m told he was a half-decent player, but I think we are quite different players,” adds Hartley. “He was a bit small, more nimble and really quick, whereas I am a bit more confrontational.

“I didn’t ever see him play, but we have got some tapes of games that he played in that I have watched over the last couple of years.

“Am I a better player? Yes, probably, but he would want me to say that. He never put pressure on me, but I always put pressure on myself because you want to perform well for your family.”

Hartley, who first joined Hammersmith & Fulham rugby club when he was five, combines playing with doing an online degree in Business Management at Northumbria University. He says he always had his eye on becoming a chartered surveyor like former Barbarian Gary – who ran the family estate agents business – until his development stepped up a pace when he was 15.

“When I was playing U16s, that is the year that I had most develop- ment, and when I first realised I might be able to make a career of rugby if I worked hard for a couple of years,” says Hartley.

“So I put my head down and worked hard at it. Until then, I was pretty set on going to univer- sity to study marketing and business man- agement.

“Then maybe going into the city or doing some prop- erty becom- ing a chartered surveyor because I knew it’s not easy to get a contract straight out of school.”

NEIL FISSLER

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 06:07:18 PM »
backdoc - thank you!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 06:44:57 PM »
Yes. Thanks a lot backdoc.