Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Anthony Watson off from Bath, but where?  (Read 5532 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Watson off from Bath, but where?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 10:54:12 AM »
JJ hasn’t played well for about 3 seasons now and is injured a fair bit not sure he is a good option. Plus I should think he would want a lot of money.

If AW goes to Sarries that would be someone else on a lot of money. Koch can’t be the only person needed to go to get below the cap. Maitland will not be on the same wage as AW. If AW goes to Sarries then I’m afraid question need to be asked again, how can they have 6 lions players and be below the cap

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 11:40:22 AM »

Was reading the Bath forum yesterday. They weren’t exactly distraught at the thought of him leaving

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 11:49:43 AM »

Was reading the Bath forum yesterday. They weren’t exactly distraught at the thought of him leaving

I'm torn on him as a player. Probably one of my favourites from when I followed the U-20's (in lieu of Twickenham prices and availability) and thought he was wasted at wing. But I also think he's been somewhat lacking for Bath in recent seasons. They've had much better value out of say, Roko.

I do think he'd be improved from moving clubs - but it's not a compromise in terms of squad cost, that I'd want. I'd much prefer to spend on two centres - a Quins 12 a-like perhaps - and look to expand how we want to play.

In previous "good times" we've often had fairly solid centres with a ball playing 15 to complement the 10 - and dangerous wingers. And in many ways that provides good pay back as the key attacking thinking comes from outside the 12/13 channels. I think such a 12/13 would benefit Jacob too.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »

I agree.
On ability alone, I'd have him in a heart beat.

But availability is the issue - whether it be injuries or England.

It's going to be a tough balancing act for a couple of years.
Every club wants the best players, but the best will likely have the least availability

With the cap so much lower, clubs now face the prospect of having to release or forgo likely international players in favour of second string players who have, on paper, less chance of a call up. With only one marquee allowed, we will also see less non EQPs. In a way both are good for the Premiership, and likely to lead to a larger pool of players for Eddie to call on. Whilst we can all see that players will want to play for their national team, now most such aspirations will be whispered about, for fear of the implications at contract renewal time. Having an England International squad players in your squad is now an expensive luxury clubs cannot afford. I would say it is fortunate that Eddie seems to favour players from certain teams, and one of those is not Wasps.

I do think we will be at risk, as a nation, of losing International talent when clubs don't want to sign them when they become available. The mere fact that Watson has no team to go to is what I think will become more common. I also think Ford and Genge were both fortunate to find clubs to sign them. Some will not be so lucky.
I disagree. Ford and Genge lined up moves, there was nothing fortunate about it, they are some of the best players in their position.
As for lost talent, there are only so many places available in so many leagues, and with the French JIF, that net is closing..we'll have a year of realisation of the new rugby norm and it'll setlle down.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 04:12:05 PM »
How about AW going to Bristol? Might be the best bet for a decent wedge despite the revised salary cap.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 04:27:47 PM »
A lot comes down to how long players (and agents) think this will go on for.

If it's 2 years of lower salaries and then the cap increases again, some players may look at moving to clubs where they may be able to get an increased salary in the future

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 04:32:00 PM »
I suspect one thing that is certain is that he already has his next move signed and sealed.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 04:50:38 PM »
How about AW going to Bristol? Might be the best bet for a decent wedge despite the revised salary cap.

That's exactly what I was thinking

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 12:13:01 AM »
Irish are the rumoured destination.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 11:47:29 AM »
Interesting. That would make sense.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2022, 12:07:31 PM »
Seen a bit of speculation (not great source) suggesting we have become the front runners.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 12:14:06 PM »
Seen a bit of speculation (not great source) suggesting we have become the front runners.

Hope the hell not!

Too often missing from Bath action - injured or England - for my liking.

Our current Watson is a rarely available player so why double up?
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2022, 12:23:34 PM »

What's the source?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2022, 12:51:55 PM »

What's the source?

No thanks. It's centres that we need. Plus he would always be among the walking wounded.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2022, 12:53:00 PM »

What's the source?

No thanks. It's centres that we need. Plus he would always be among the walking wounded.

Completely agree, don't want an international made of glass. But was curious where this came from.