Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Free-view rugby  (Read 1598 times)

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Free-view rugby
« on: January 18, 2022, 09:15:59 AM »
It has only taken 1 game to be shown on Channel 4 for about a dozen people, that I know have a history of not watching rugby, to become interested in Wasps. Now I'm not saying they are going to become die hard fans over night but now they are asking about where to watch games normally, which for me is incredibly encouraging. Hopefully the powers that be take note of the benefits of free view games!

ITV showing up to 5 games a season is a really good start, but I would love BBC/ITV/Channel4 to show a game once a week/every other week. A hybrid of subscription and free-to-air is the only way the sport's fan base is going to grow IMO.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Free-view rugby
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 09:34:51 AM »
Many years ago BBC used to show a program called Rugby Club, and it featured Bath a disproportionate number of times, to the extent that even school friends who were not really rugby supporters knew all about Bath players and "supported" them.

It was the program that made me a Rugby supporter, and made me want to go and see a "real" rugby game, which I did when my Dad took me to see Wasps for a tenth birthday treat. I must admit I was a bit disappointed that it was going to be Wasps, as I was hoping to go to Bath, but since that match (64 years ago) I have been a Wasps supporter.

Therefore I absolutely agree that it is the availability of live matches on a FTA channel that will grow the supporter base. There will need to be a mix of subscription and FTA though because the Clubs need the guaranteed income from the subscription channel(s).

MarleyWasp

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 10:02:17 AM »
Roger - was this on during the later half of 1997? If so, it was a documentary behind the scenes at Bath.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 10:02:37 AM »
You can point them to the premiership rugby website for the full match replays. OK, it's not live, but it might help them get into a bit more before putting down some cash.

Or help them with "other" options.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 10:50:41 AM »
Roger - was this on during the later half of 1997? If so, it was a documentary behind the scenes at Bath.

No it was a weekly programme on BBC (there was only 1 BBC TV channel those days) that showed full matches - can't remember which day it was, but it was over 60 years ago!

They did show matches with other teams, but did feature Bath a LOT.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 11:42:46 AM »
Roger - You're thinking of Rugby Special, pre, 1997. In 1997/98 highlights switched to Channel 5 (Bath had the name of the programme on their shirts in the 1998 Heineken Cup Final). The following season Channel 4 ran a Saturday morning show aimed more at the younger market (Inside Rugby with Thierry Lacroix and Dermot O'Leary) whilst the BBC also showed some highlights. That was it until ITV started their weekly highlights show in 2008, although the BBC did show some of the Wildcard tournament for the last European spot.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 01:22:42 PM »
Roger - You're thinking of Rugby Special, pre, 1997. In 1997/98 highlights switched to Channel 5 (Bath had the name of the programme on their shirts in the 1998 Heineken Cup Final). The following season Channel 4 ran a Saturday morning show aimed more at the younger market (Inside Rugby with Thierry Lacroix and Dermot O'Leary) whilst the BBC also showed some highlights. That was it until ITV started their weekly highlights show in 2008, although the BBC did show some of the Wildcard tournament for the last European spot.

This was in the 1950s (I was 10 in 1957!).

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
Many years ago BBC used to show a program called Rugby Club, and it featured Bath a disproportionate number of times, to the extent that even school friends who were not really rugby supporters knew all about Bath players and "supported" them.

It was the program that made me a Rugby supporter, and made me want to go and see a "real" rugby game, which I did when my Dad took me to see Wasps for a tenth birthday treat. I must admit I was a bit disappointed that it was going to be Wasps, as I was hoping to go to Bath, but since that match (64 years ago) I have been a Wasps supporter.

Therefore I absolutely agree that it is the availability of live matches on a FTA channel that will grow the supporter base. There will need to be a mix of subscription and FTA though because the Clubs need the guaranteed income from the subscription channel(s).
There's a very good reason why the Premiership authorities should be desperate to get some live games on TV.

I think I've mentioned this on here but a few months ago I was having lunch with a group of people, all of us in our 60s and the subject of what clubs, hobbies, volunteering everyone had done before Covid and whether they'd go back to it. The consensus was that we'd all be doing things through force of habit and as that habit had been broken we were re-evaluating what we would do again. Most had plenty of things they weren't going back to.

My wife has seen a couple of her art and singing groups fold for that reason.

So, as well as trying to attract new spectators, they need to remind people who got out of the habit of attending what they are missing.

As an aside, I went to my first match for a long time when I stayed with a friend in Worcester and went to the away game. That reminded me how much I missed being at a game and I'm trying to figure out how I can get to matches without having to spend 10 hours driving on my own.

If anyone knows any decent pubs in the wider area that would let me stay overnight in their carpark in my campervan I'd appreciate it. I'd obviously be eating and drinking there as well as being prepared to make a payment.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 03:04:50 PM »
People here know that I often have pointed at the importance of free to air rugby (and cricket, for that matter). These sports and others need exposure in a way soccer simply does not, and our clubs doubly so.
The prospect of all international rugby going to subscription worries me for the same reason- out of sight, out of mind.
It is amazing what free to air can do- at a ripe old age my mother started to watch international football about 3 years ago, and now no longer complains when it delays soap operas. I have known people in Wales watch the 6n who never see another game all year, just the 6n.
Free to air generates buzz. Obviously the clubs need money, but cricket is a salutary lesson of what happens when your sport goes all subscription, something they are trying to reverse.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 05:23:05 PM »

There's a very good reason why the Premiership authorities should be desperate to get some live games on TV.

I think I've mentioned this on here but a few months ago I was having lunch with a group of people, all of us in our 60s and the subject of what clubs, hobbies, volunteering everyone had done before Covid and whether they'd go back to it. The consensus was that we'd all be doing things through force of habit and as that habit had been broken we were re-evaluating what we would do again. Most had plenty of things they weren't going back to.

My wife has seen a couple of her art and singing groups fold for that reason.

So, as well as trying to attract new spectators, they need to remind people who got out of the habit of attending what they are missing.

As an aside, I went to my first match for a long time when I stayed with a friend in Worcester and went to the away game. That reminded me how much I missed being at a game and I'm trying to figure out how I can get to matches without having to spend 10 hours driving on my own.

If anyone knows any decent pubs in the wider area that would let me stay overnight in their carpark in my campervan I'd appreciate it. I'd obviously be eating and drinking there as well as being prepared to make a payment.

Not sure about pubs but Might be worth asking Coventry Welsh Rugby club   (https://m.facebook.com/cwrfc) or other sports clubs locally like Finbarrs or Christ the King (https://www.christthekingfc.co.uk/contact-page/) - ignore the location on the contact page they also have a ground by the CBSA which is used for parking and has bar / food (@PitchsideCTK)

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 06:55:56 PM »
Hi Bloke In North Dorset. I'm new to the Forum, but wanted to let you know that we live in a village near Leamington Spa and there is a good pub in our village where the Landlord encourages Camper Vans to stop overnight in the car park.
Decent beer and good food as well.
There are a number of season ticket holders in the village so we share lifts and mini bus if a special occasion and in Hospitality.
Happy for you to get in touch if you need more info.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 06:12:55 AM »
Chuinky 24,

Thanks. I've looked at those on Street View, the appeared to have height barrier but I'll probably send the secretaries an email.

ColonelWasp,

That sounds good, it might even tempt my wife to come along, although she won't go to the rugby. I'll DM you.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 07:06:13 AM »
Chuinky 24,

Thanks. I've looked at those on Street View, the appeared to have height barrier but I'll probably send the secretaries an email.

ColonelWasp,

That sounds good, it might even tempt my wife to come along, although she won't go to the rugby. I'll DM you.

Unfortunately majority of clubs in Coventry have height barriers now due to numerous uninvited visitors, however ColonelWasps option looks very interesting for you (and me if I had a camper van and didn't already live 10 minutes from the CBSA!)