Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Nathan Hughes signs for..............  (Read 3114 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Nathan Hughes signs for..............
« on: January 20, 2022, 01:00:43 PM »
Hartpury College (on loan) and is in their team tomorrow night. Very odd.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Nathan Hughes signs for..............
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 01:06:47 PM »
I'm really not bothered where he goes ....  as long as it isn't anything belonging to Wasps.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 01:41:40 PM »
Hartpury College is a feeder team for Gloucester isn't it?  In which case, short term "try before you buy" loan ahead of a possible move?

He left Wasps as an England regular 2 and a half years ago, and in that time Bristol have developed him into a Championship player!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 01:49:21 PM »
I believe he has had a number of family issues off the pitch.
A loan to a champ side is probably just what he needs to gain some confidence & fitness.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 01:55:03 PM »
Don’t think he’ll be going to Gloucester as they’ve just signed Albert Tuisue. Probably just for game time.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 02:02:40 PM »
why the hostility Wonky?

IMO he was great player for Wasps who openly moved clubs for the money. Given he's probably supporting a whole village back in Fiji, I personally can't begrudge him that.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 03:06:09 PM »
why the hostility Wonky?

IMO he was great player for Wasps who openly moved clubs for the money. Given he's probably supporting a whole village back in Fiji, I personally can't begrudge him that.

Agreed, it wasn't done in a "It's for less money, honest guv'nor" kind of way like Daly and Billy V.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 03:11:03 PM »
Agreed, I'll always have a lot of love for Nathan, he came to us a raw almost newbie to rugby and filled the hole left by Billy. When he left I was very sad, but couldn't blame him as at least he was up front and honest about it.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 03:19:15 PM »
I have neither love nor animosity for Nathan. He served us well and provided lots of entertainment as well as big match performances. His problem was that when his party trick of picking the ball up from in front of the second row and charging through was shut he lost a USP.

He traded on reputation for a long time and fell in to that gap between being an outstanding Premiership player but never really making it with England. There are any number of reasons why that happened and its a shame becuase he came across as an honest guy whenever I heard him talk.

I wish him well and if he does have outside problem I hope they are quickly resolved, but I don't see a future for him back with us, not least because we have probably the best back row squad in the Premiership.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 03:38:45 PM »
Why do I not love Nathan?  It's just personal opinion  I suppose.  I was very happy when he first joined, and that first year he was great, and the second; after that he faffed about  a lot  and seemed to lose interest in Wasps  and became a penalty machine  -  lots of silly, thoughtless bloopers.  And then  -  there was the Final versus Exeter at HQ.    Not just one clanger but the same one  twice.   I have tried but sadly cannot yet find it in me to  forgive or forget that.  My bad there.   

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 04:22:39 PM »
Hartpury College is a feeder team for Gloucester isn't it?  In which case, short term "try before you buy" loan ahead of a possible move?

They were a Gloucester feeder club, but the relationship has deteriorated somewhat due to the behaviour of a Gloucester player, leading to Gloucester no longer training there.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 04:49:03 PM »
due to the behaviour of a Gloucester player, leading to Gloucester no longer training there.

You can't leave it like that :)
which player?

an ex Wasp by any chance?

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 06:24:46 PM »
Not up to date but Hartpury has been known to draw on Bristol and Worcester, as well as Gloucester (hadn't appreciated there'd been a fallout - presumably men not women, academy?).

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 06:37:04 PM »
I liked him as a Wasp - I felt he was pissed about by Jones for England, playing when not fit it seemed and being blamed for poor coaching decisions.

I hope he gets some game time and I'd hope that his field probs are resolved.....

Probably when fit - he's in my "England xv that have fallen out of favour/never in favour with Jones"

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 06:39:57 PM »
My only meeting with Nathan was at a Nandos where he arrived with Alapati Leuia and someone else that I can't recall just as my wife and I were leaving.

It was a brief encounter, but he noticed that we were fans made a point of saying hi to us and holding the door for my wife even before we'd worked out what was going on.

It may be a small thing, but it felt good at the time