Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Saracens: Post Match thoughts.  (Read 2511 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Saracens: Post Match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2022, 08:50:48 PM »
As I said in the match thread, I only watched the 2nd half …

I as impressed by all the replacements, especially the front row who continued make the scrum something that didn’t drive us behind the sofa or peeking through our fingers as our hands cover our eyes. I’m sure that gave the rest of the team confidence and allowed them to be a bit more expansive and fear a knock on which would be followed by a penalty against us. That’s not a criticism of any individual, just a consequence of the injury list. 

Dan looked sharp and alert, except once behind a ruck on their line when the ball popped out.  His flat passes allowed us to break the gain line far more than we have during his absence.  He’s obviously been working on the flat kick that’s becoming the fashion. 

I know Itoje was missing, but our lineout looked really solid, and Gabby looked at ease when he took over the darts, and and it was great to see them disrupting Sarries’ lineout and even stealing a few.  Yes, we’ll miss Fifeta but we still have some of the best 2nd rowers in the Prem.

I’m still a bit concerned that we do a lot of huffing and puffing in the last 5m without much success, but I suppose that will come. I’m also concerned that I still have a sense of foreboding every time they oppo get the ball, but I think that’s just the lot of a Wasps fan, it strikes me that it always seems to be so. 

If Brad hasn’t earned player of the season already someone is going to have an amazing 2nd half. What an engine and what commitment.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2022, 08:53:39 PM »
Gaskell's return has been Lazarus like, thrust on to the bench at the last minute against Tigers when had barely even been mentioned as fit again then playing key parts in the next few games when perhaps we had thought we had seen the last of him in a Wasps shirt after that injury.
+1 but he’s still a penalty liability. Playing on the edge is great but he seems to catch the referees eye more than most.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2022, 09:52:39 PM »
despite how naturally drilled and organised they are, especially in defence they were very poor at key times.
Goode had a shocker, Vunipola slicing out on the full - they were also missing Farrell, Malins, George, Daly, Itoje and Isiekwe and will be and extremely different outfit with them back, but you can only play what’s in front of you and it’s always good to play Sarries during the six nations. Just hope we can continue this run of consistency

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2022, 10:48:39 PM »
I'm not sure if I've ever seen Alex Goode have a worse game.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2022, 07:11:46 AM »
If Brad hasn’t earned player of the season already someone is going to have an amazing 2nd half. What an engine and what commitment.

Brad has been immense. A real leader. Must be 29 out of the last 30 games that he has played in now.

With Dobby, Joe, Jimmy and Brad on the park at the same time, our whole structure looks much more secure.

He would be my choice as well.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2022, 10:29:22 AM »
We were good for the win, but Saracens weren't themselves today.  Partly they're own undoing and partly just being reffed properly.  How many times have we seen things like the Shields off-the-ball tackle before a try was scored pretty much where he was standing given especially awarded to a 'dominant' team.

Fifita was everywhere yesterday.  He's been good in the row for us, he was outstanding at 6. 

A word of mention to Spink.  He's looked solid in his appearances so far but thought yesterday he had a bit of spark/zip with ball in hand that I hadn't seen yet.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2022, 03:01:05 PM »
Can't believe the Cheats coach "bounce of the ball went against us" at the start of both halves...No respect for any coach that comes out with that sort of "poor us" shit and not even mention that their opponents might have played ok......

Really hard to avoid feeling bad feelings towards the Cheats......