Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Saracens: Post Match thoughts.  (Read 2512 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Saracens: Post Match thoughts.
« on: January 30, 2022, 05:05:26 PM »
Looking upwards

Dogged determination

Maul needs a little work.

What a win, that was hard graft today, and proved that not only can we play fast and loose, but we can truck it up and make hard carries when we need to. Saracens are right up there with Tigers and Exeter has some of the most physical teams in the league. So far in this block of games we have gone 2 from 2 against them. This also brings me to my next thought, and that as I have said before, despite playing, coaching and living and breathing this game since the 80s I still have no idea of what will happen. I called this 5 game block as a likely 0-5 against us. Now we are 3 from 4 going into next weeks clash against a wounded Chiefs, which will be a titanic battle, but that is a thought for another day.

Tonight though is all about getting the pizzas and beers in, singing songs and enjoying the moment. For come Tuesday it will all begin again!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp

Rugby by birth. Wasps by the grace of God.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Saracens: Post Match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 05:29:18 PM »
Not sure how much extra time the timekeeper inadvertently added by being asleep when Dickson said time is on prior to the Sarries scrum forming in their 22 from where they launched their final attack. The clock actually started when the ball was coming out of the scrum. Felt like 20 seconds.

When Shields kicked the ball out and clock stopped again there were 21 seconds left. Obviously he could have seen off the clock if it was correct. Didn't affect the result but did allow EAs a bonus point. This sort of ineptitude should not happen at this level.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 05:32:11 PM »
Not sure how much extra time the timekeeper inadvertently added by being asleep when Dickson said time is on prior to the Sarries scrum forming in their 22 from where they launched their final attack. The clock actually started when the ball was coming out of the scrum. Felt like 20 seconds.

When Shields kicked the ball out and clock stopped again there were 21 seconds left. Obviously he could have seen off the clock if it was correct. Didn't affect the result but did allow EAs a bonus point. This sort of ineptitude should not happen at this level.

Is the TV clock the official clock?  I didn't think they were the same.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 05:54:37 PM »
Not sure but they are usuallyaligned and full time at next stoppage after it goes red..

TV clock had 54 seconds left when it was stoppedbefore the scrum. Just replayed it and it was well over 20 seconds from Karl saying time is on until the clock moved. The ball had actually left the scrum by then.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 06:35:02 PM »
Great win earned with hard work. I loved the moment when Alo lined up Billy by the touch line hit him with a superbly timed tackle and then pulled him into touch, then proceeded to punch the air in celebration. All in all a good all round team effort, the only concern for me was the ease with which they broke are line at times. What sums up the attitude for me is with less than a minute to play with the game won Saracens chip the ball and who is the player chasing it back and cleaning it up? Brad Shields what a warrior

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 06:45:40 PM »
My post match thoughts? I just love p*ssing on the big boys' party ;D ;D ;D ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 06:53:37 PM »
Don't the boys just love it?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1487858827638812676

Is that poor Rodrigo in the foreground with the crutches and the boot?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 07:25:28 PM »
Don't the boys just love it?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1487858827638812676

Is that poor Rodrigo in the foreground with the crutches and the boot?

Yes. Sad.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 07:30:10 PM »
Post match thoughts are that that was a phenomenal win. Total commitment from all involved. What a player Shields is. Cruse, Alo and Stooke were brilliant and then we bring on Fekitoa to dent their line. Robson makes a huge difference and with some players coming back you realise that we are a very, very good side.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 07:31:05 PM »
The new announcer has just lost it on twitter over fans asking him to get players names right.
The guy just isn't up to it.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 07:35:39 PM »
The new announcer has just lost it on twitter over fans asking him to get players names right.
The guy just isn't up to it.
Link? Sounds hilarious

MarleyWasp

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 07:55:06 PM »
JD has been hitting the delete button.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 08:27:44 PM »
Excellent result today and great day out.

To get the upper hand on a pack that comprised Vuniplola x 2, Koch, Earl and Woolsencroft was outstanding. Not sure what happened when we won the scrum penalty in the Saracens 22 but that will live in the memory for some time.

Big performances by Robson, Shields, Alo, Fifita and Stooke with excellent cameos by Joe and James Gaskell.

Huge result.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 08:33:47 PM »
Gaskell's return has been Lazarus like, thrust on to the bench at the last minute against Tigers when had barely even been mentioned as fit again then playing key parts in the next few games when perhaps we had thought we had seen the last of him in a Wasps shirt after that injury.