Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jimmy and Malakai gone - official  (Read 4162 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy and Malakai gone - official
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2022, 11:22:48 AM »
Not sure I understand this moving-away-from-attack under Blackett suggestion.  It was Blackett, who after taking over from Dai, decided that the two things we should focus on (as in strengths we need to play to) as a team were unstructured play and turnover plays.

Blackett's first few games were clearly off the rails attack. Sarries, Gloucester, London Irish all felt that way. Post lockdown the attack wasn't bad, but definitely less emphasized than our forward and defence work. Our attack after that was more counter attack or simpler in structure. Again not a bad thing because we were winning and can win against the best teams with this strategy. But our attack has definitely become less attractive and it is less of an emphasis compared to Bristol and especially compared to Quins. Which was all the more frustrating when they won the league...

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2022, 11:27:06 AM »

What would we say if Eddie called Jacob and Charlie into the England setup and said that he wanted to see one of them at full back and the other at inside centre?

Would the general consensus be that he's crazy and he's trying to play them out of position?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2022, 11:51:51 AM »

What would we say if Eddie called Jacob and Charlie into the England setup and said that he wanted to see one of them at full back and the other at inside centre?

Would the general consensus be that he's crazy and he's trying to play them out of position?

Anything he says or does is crazy!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2022, 11:55:57 AM »
I don’t think it’s a conscious change of emphasis. You play to your strengths. When you have a back line of Cipriani, Gopperth, Daly, Wade, Bassett and Le Roux you are going to want to get it to them. Our backs have been hugely disrupted this year whilst our pack less so. As a consequence we’ve played more pack based stuff. I think the biggest issue with shifting Umaga to 15 and Atkinson to 12 is that we’d simply have no 10’s!!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »
I'd definitely try and keep Gopps away from 10.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2022, 01:04:49 PM »
If Jones had asked for one to play at 10 and the other 15, you can pretty much expect for both of them to get put on the wing when playing for England.