Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jimmy and Malakai gone - official  (Read 4394 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy and Malakai gone - official
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2022, 09:35:26 AM »

19/20
Jimmy - 54/61 - 88.25% (joint 2nd highest % from those who had taken 20+ kicks)
Jacob - 20/28 - 71.43% (16th)

20/21
Jimmy - 27/33 - 81.82% (5th)
Jacob - 39/49 - 79.59% (8th)
*Sopoaga actually 1st with 90% (18/20)

21/22
Jimmy - 25/33 - 75.76% (11th)
Jacob - 16/21 - 76.19% (joint 10th)

From the Centre Options thread.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2022, 10:00:53 AM »
Thanks for reposting - quite surprising figures from a perception point of view
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2022, 10:13:52 AM »
Thanks for reposting - quite surprising figures from a perception point of view

I was aware that Jimmy's percentages had tailed off and (without figures) had posted it in previous threads.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2022, 01:30:41 PM »
From a purely skillset perspective, I'd happily have Danny back.

He naturally plays the kind of rugby that Jacob and Charlie want to play.
On his day he's one of the best heads up fly halfs to have played in the premiership.

If Wasps are even considering it, it would mean that Lee is happy to work with him again and felt the attacking direction and control of Danny matched his own visions.... And that means a lot.

However, if it were to happen, this is where I feel that one of these 1+1 contacts would be mutually beneficial.
Danny's recent years have been clouded by some distractions, and the ability for either side to terminate the contract at relatively short notice would probably be prudent.

A 1, maybe 2 year bridge to see where Jacob and Charlie are progressing to could be fantastic for us.

If our forward pack is being strengthened as it seems to be, we could be playing with some front foot ball next year, and Danny has regularly proven that he can do things no one else can when on the front foot

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 01:52:56 PM »
Danny has regularly proven that he can do things no one else can when on the front foot

To be frank, I think age (without any other distractions) has caught up with him.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2022, 02:01:56 PM »

Off topic, but this season in particular I think this couldn't be more incorrect.

Our attack has been very reserved this season. I'd argue we're moving away from Cipriani-esque attack in favour of reliable and solid attack. I think there's a noticeable change in style that's happened under Blackett where we're more forwards and defence based.

Teams like Quins have embraced attack roots, we haven't. Not necessarily bad, we seem more capable of winning big games when we have players, but the attack definitely feels less flashy and attractive than it used to.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2022, 03:58:46 PM »

Off topic, but this season in particular I think this couldn't be more incorrect.

Our attack has been very reserved this season. I'd argue we're moving away from Cipriani-esque attack in favour of reliable and solid attack. I think there's a noticeable change in style that's happened under Blackett where we're more forwards and defence based.

Teams like Quins have embraced attack roots, we haven't. Not necessarily bad, we seem more capable of winning big games when we have players, but the attack definitely feels less flashy and attractive than it used to.

Agree with HDAWG . Seeing more forwards based plays /tries or is it less backs tries?

Was thinking about this earlier with regards lower kicking percentages. To my mind, with forwards drives / pick and go , tries are a bit pot luck  where you manage to get over the line. If a centre or wing is able to get a run in they will attempt to run round to posts. Haven’t looked to back it up , but could be part of less successful kicking rates

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2022, 05:29:01 PM »
Danny has regularly proven that he can do things no one else can when on the front foot

To be frank, I think age (without any other distractions) has caught up with him.

I think his heart isn't really in it anymore, and he's just going through the motions really.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2022, 06:16:58 PM »

I think Jacobs natural instincts are to play heads up attaci8ng rugby.

Maybe if we have changed approach, then that's what is affecting him.
Either that, or maybe our poor form has meant that we're not getting good ball out to the backs

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2022, 08:10:21 PM »
That's almost certainly a 'needs must' situation. We've been so light on experience and nous in the backs this season as most not our first choices have been missing for a good part of it.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2022, 09:09:17 PM »
That's almost certainly a 'needs must' situation. We've been so light on experience and nous in the backs this season as most not our first choices have been missing for a good part of it.

Agree we clearly haven’t had the luxury to play any other way given the number of ’unavailable’ backs we’ve had this season. Even when we tried to play an aggressive attacking game we’ve just been outplayed & outmuscled. Bar the front row, the greater depth within our forwards has very much dictated how we’ve approached most games.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2022, 09:45:54 AM »

19/20
Jimmy - 54/61 - 88.25% (joint 2nd highest % from those who had taken 20+ kicks)
Jacob - 20/28 - 71.43% (16th)

20/21
Jimmy - 27/33 - 81.82% (5th)
Jacob - 39/49 - 79.59% (8th)
*Sopoaga actually 1st with 90% (18/20)

21/22
Jimmy - 25/33 - 75.76% (11th)
Jacob - 16/21 - 76.19% (joint 10th)

From the Centre Options thread.

How much of this is simply because when they are both on the pitch Jimmy takes the tricky kicks?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2022, 10:28:35 AM »

I'm inclined to agree, and it is a good point. I guess my opinion has now swayed to "the jury's out on that one" until we see the team play with everyone fit. But I still have my reservations about our attack.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2022, 10:36:56 AM »

I think Jacobs natural instincts are to play heads up attaci8ng rugby.

Maybe if we have changed approach, then that's what is affecting him.
Either that, or maybe our poor form has meant that we're not getting good ball out to the backs
One of the reasons I've been wondering if he might be better at full back. He seems to relish being in backfield during kick tennis and it looks like his instinct is to always look up for an attacking run before returning a kick.

It may be that now our pack is starting to pack some punch (no pun intended) getting more front foot ball will give him the time and space he needs to dominate games. Certainly Smith tends to have that luxury.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2022, 10:50:49 AM »

Agree with HDAWG . Seeing more forwards based plays /tries or is it less backs tries?

Was thinking about this earlier with regards lower kicking percentages. To my mind, with forwards drives / pick and go , tries are a bit pot luck  where you manage to get over the line. If a centre or wing is able to get a run in they will attempt to run round to posts. Haven’t looked to back it up , but could be part of less successful kicking rates

Not sure I understand this moving-away-from-attack under Blackett suggestion.  It was Blackett, who after taking over from Dai, decided that the two things we should focus on (as in strengths we need to play to) as a team were unstructured play and turnover plays.

Defence vs Attack is a very hard thing to balance, it sort of ebbs and flows.  Sometimes we appear too loose, others too tight and forward-orientated.  Think we’ve been seeking to try and find the balance.

Mitch will have most likely wanted to tighten up the attack in order to give better defensive structures.  I think we’ll also see the backline begin to settle down in terms of selection which will allow us to get back to play with the shackles off a bit more.

Interesting observations about Jacob at full-back vs 10 and I'd like to see more of it.  However, think Crossdale has the chance to be an outstanding full-back for us and has a decent amount of WLR about him (in a good way).  For me, he'd almost feel wasted on the Wing.

Over the next few years, think we could see Jacob and Charlie play 10, 12, 13 and 15 between them at times.  I still think Charlie has the right attributes to be the sort of 12 we're looking for.  He can tackle, pass, carry and kick.

Would be interested to see how a backline of:

10. Umaga
11. Bassett
12. Atkinson
13. Spink
14. Odogwu
15. Crossdale

Would go.