Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jimmy and Malakai gone - official  (Read 4436 times)

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy and Malakai gone - official
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 08:24:41 PM »
While its sad to see them go I can live with it. Malakai just doesn’t spend enough time on the pitch and Jimmy is 39. While I have no doubt Jimmy could carry on a bit longer, I think while he’s there we would rely on him to much and not  build for the future. Another fact is they are both probably at the upper end of our wage structure and that’s a sizeable chunk of cash to use elsewhere.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 09:18:15 PM »
Who can we get whose kicking will be as reliable as Gopps? It'll take a hefty chunk out of our wage bill.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2022, 09:28:50 PM »
Both announced together is a big hit. In the past Wasps have generally countered a blow with someone incoming. I wonder if something might soften the blow soon.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2022, 09:33:41 PM »
Just out of interest is there anyone else who comes close to Jimmy's reliability at  kicking?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2022, 09:37:39 PM »
Just out of interest is there anyone else who comes close to Jimmy's reliability at  kicking?

Jacobs place kicking has been comparable to Jimmy over the past 2 seasons (as per statsbunker)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2022, 09:40:09 PM »
While its sad to see them go I can live with it. Malakai just doesn’t spend enough time on the pitch and Jimmy is 39. While I have no doubt Jimmy could carry on a bit longer, I think while he’s there we would rely on him to much and not  build for the future. Another fact is they are both probably at the upper end of our wage structure and that’s a sizeable chunk of cash to use elsewhere.

Fekitoa is almost certainly using the marquee spot that is disappearing and therefore doesn't free up any money.

Jimmy however is probably earning around £300k+ from within the salary cap.

It's possible that we're spending a chunk of that money on our new tight head signings.
THP's typically don't come cheap

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2022, 10:06:22 PM »
Watched Koch  in the Sarries match and to my (ignorant) eye he wasn't as good as our present front row.  May be he wasn't allowed to be, or he was tired. Looked decent but no more.                                                         

Props are at the mercy of their SR input and it would have been a different story with their England players providing the oomph. We started two excellent props and a good scrummaging hooker in front of Launch, noted for his push and Stooke.....So we did have an advantage. Mako looks a little lost, but it was a challenge last w/e. I'm not worried at all re Koch.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2022, 10:33:36 PM »

It's possible that we're spending a chunk of that money on our new tight head signings.

I get what you're saying but backs are usually best paid in the prem. Can't imagine Koch (and especially not Ryan) will be on those numbers. They'll be well paid, but I reckon there should be enough for a new centre at least.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 07:27:03 AM »

I get what you're saying but backs are usually best paid in the prem. Can't imagine Koch (and especially not Ryan) will be on those numbers. They'll be well paid, but I reckon there should be enough for a new centre at least.

Esportif publish a list on the average salaries of the positions in the prem, top14 and proxx league.
THP is usually the 3rd or 4th highest paid position, behind fly half, second row and outside centre.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 08:27:45 AM »
According to "Ruck" a certain well-travelled fly half is possibly being lined-up, as a replacement for Jimmy, for "his third anf final stint at Wasps".

At least he will only cost the club a fiver :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 08:33:02 AM »
Please no.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 08:42:40 AM »
I think he proved what  sort of person he is in the last twice that he was with us  =  good for a week or two and then rapidly downhill.   Please don't waste the money.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »
I would be very surprised if the ownership of this club go down that route again. Banging your head against the same wall rarely proves to be positive.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 09:10:16 AM »

Jacobs place kicking has been comparable to Jimmy over the past 2 seasons (as per statsbunker)

Can you share those figures? It could be one of those situations where reality has been clouded by perception.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2022, 09:17:28 AM »
The figures, very surprising,  were posted either here or DW less than a week ago but a repeat wouldn't do any harm if someone can re-post or find them.