Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 6922 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« on: February 05, 2022, 04:32:38 PM »
Was unable to stream it

Did not see it

Cannot comment on it

Over to you all  ;D

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 04:35:37 PM »
Me neither, can't believe I cannot pay to watch a top tier rugby match. Listened on the radio, not the same.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 04:36:39 PM »
We go up, we go down. It was one of those down games. A few key players looked tired, not as sharp as you need to be. Defence had holes in it, especially around the scrum/breakdown.

It was as though the players had decided they weren't going to speak to each other, disjointed.

Chiefs were good, fr what was their 2nd/3rd team.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 04:37:47 PM »
Don't get me wrong, winning that was nothing short of a miracle. Forgot to say that.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 04:40:13 PM »
We looked totally at sea for about 75 minutes. Exe fans were leaving in droves to make sure they caught the England game as they thought they were safe. 10 minutes later, we'd scored 2 tries (5 mins in the red) and got LBP and nicked it with Paolo going over in the corner for his 2nd of the game. Gopps conversion hit the post but we won 26-27 and are now 6th in the table. We may have been pretty poor for 75 minutes but we never gave up. We were absolutely determined to come away with more than the LBP after our 3rd try.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 04:42:11 PM »
Not the best performance you’ll see but we got it done. Key players getting more game time and we move up the table. I don’t buy the chat about the strength of Exeter. No-one has had more bad luck than us and yet we still expect decent rugby/results. They had a wealth of experience still on the field so for me it goes down as an outstanding win.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 04:45:46 PM »
Chiefs were well drilled, as expected, and didn't allow us to play the game we played last week. Up until the last few minutes very slow ruck ball and nobody receiving the ball on the gain line.

Defence was slow and disjointed and they looked good ball in hand.

Brad was a shadow of himself, have the games caught up with him?

Feks looked very disappointed to go off and he tried very hard, but he sometimes comes across as a one-trick pony, just smashing in to defenders when perhaps a bit more subtlety is needed. Watson's another one who doesn't seem to be able to get through defensive lines and often just runs in to trouble. Miller looked good straight away, but it was desperate stakes by then.

Spink looked good again when he came on, I don't think we need to worry too much about losing Feks, but I'll miss his defensive smashes.

The scrum worked very well, which is heartening, but the line outs went awol at times.

I think that's one for taking the win and not looking backwards.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 04:50:40 PM »
FWIW: All our tries were scored by players returning from injury or England: Odogwu (2), Launchbury, Barbeary.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 05:05:10 PM »
Well that was definitely more Stephen Bradbury's 2002 Winter Olympic Speed Skating gold then any gold won by Usain Bolt. We fired very few shots for 77 minutes, but we're sensational from then on. As bad as we were, we still put ourselves in a position to steal the win. It would have been easy to give up after their fourth try and ship three or four more.

A word for Oghre. There's no doubt it took him a while to get over that lineout in the Premiership final. Two late throws setting up the platform for us to win it in exactly the same part of the pitch will do his confidence a lot of good.

A valuable lesson learnt on my part: Never open a sherbet dip when Wasps are in the opposition 22 with time up and needing a score to win, especially when the moment the game ends you're planning on taking the dog for a walk before the England. The sherbet, like everything else in a five metre radius went flying. Took a step outside my front door and a group of kids called me a cokehead and asked if I was going to see my dealer. Turns out my jumper was covered in sherbet...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 05:12:44 PM »
Tweet from Bobby Bridge:

I've just spoken to one of the Wasps analysts. He reckons there were at least 35 phases that built up to that final score.

Wasps were 11 points down with two minutes to go.

Yet they won.

Unbelievable. Unreal. Incredible.

Season defining.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

CheltenhamWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 05:15:21 PM »
Wow what a result! Definitely wasn't pretty and a number of issues to deal with from the first half especially, but winning in that manner may do more for the team than a straight forward win.

One question I've had for a while and was very prevalent in this game, is about the long throw in. My understanding is the back line aren't allowed to come running in for the catch until the ball passes the 15m, yet this never seems to be enforced. To me it looked like every time exeter were running in as soon as the hooker threw it. Have I got the laws wrong, or is this just not enforced.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 05:30:43 PM »
Again!!!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1490012254410051584

Don't they just love it?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 05:35:01 PM »
Wow what a result! Definitely wasn't pretty and a number of issues to deal with from the first half especially, but winning in that manner may do more for the team than a straight forward win.

One question I've had for a while and was very prevalent in this game, is about the long throw in. My understanding is the back line aren't allowed to come running in for the catch until the ball passes the 15m, yet this never seems to be enforced. To me it looked like every time exeter were running in as soon as the hooker threw it. Have I got the laws wrong, or is this just not enforced.

Exception: Long throw-in. There is an exception to the law of off-side at the line-out. It applies if the ball is thrown beyond the 15-metre line. As soon as the ball leaves the hands of the player throwing in, any players of the thrower's team may run for the ball.

This means that a player taking part in the line-out may run in-field beyond the 15-metre line, and a player not taking part in the line-out may run forward across the off-side line.

CheltenhamWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 05:41:40 PM »

Exception: Long throw-in. There is an exception to the law of off-side at the line-out. It applies if the ball is thrown beyond the 15-metre line. As soon as the ball leaves the hands of the player throwing in, any players of the thrower's team may run for the ball.

This means that a player taking part in the line-out may run in-field beyond the 15-metre line, and a player not taking part in the line-out may run forward across the off-side line.

Oh interesting, thanks for that. Not sure how I've managed to play rugby for 15 years and watch for even longer without knowing this. Should probably apologise to all the local refs I've shouted at over the years for this as well haha.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 08:11:30 PM »
Thinking back, I don’t remember us making a single attempt at a jackle. I wonder if it was a deliberate decision to avoid giving away penalties?