Always a Wasp

Author Topic: A worrying game, but thinking back a few years  (Read 1699 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
A worrying game, but thinking back a few years
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
to when some of the currently key players started it seems interesting how things have played out. I remember the disquiet after Gopps first few games, kicks not going over and a red card. WLR had almost a season of negative comments. He even picked up the Wally nick name from some supporters who wondered if Wally or Willy would turn up. Fast forward to this season and we see how much we miss those two in particular. Gopps would have covered 10 untill Lima was ready to join (not rushed in) and when the time was right we would have started to see Searle. Searle may even have been on a S&C plan before Gopps injury, he probably was not expecting to play until Prem cup or last 10 mins of a good game along side Gopps.

The fact Lima could do so well with no preparation is outstanding. Searle was thrown into the deep end with Gopp's injury and then Lima's injury. I think Searle has done well despite people already writing him off.

It was a bit worrying on Saturday, and I realise there was much more too it than the above, but maybe we all expected too much too soon, especially given the injuries at particularly bad times. The good thing is that we sit in third place despite the disruption and a few poor games. Players that are likely to be with us for a few years have also gained experience and at times shown how good they will be when they all click.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:23:13 AM by Brandnewtorugby »

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: A worrying game, but hinking back a few years
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
Thanks for a sensible post and not a moan, I've avoided Facebook and Drunken Wasps for a couple of days as I knew I'd be inundated with emotional and endlessly pointless ill-informed posts.

Obviously Searle is our 3rd choice Fly Half but he hasnt let us down he just lacks the experience of Lima and Gopps and of course Cipriani. I would like to think the lessons and experience he gets this season will accelerate his progression towards being a solid and reliable top Premiership number 10.

I should add that although Danny clearly outshone Searle, there was many other reasons why we were second best in that game.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: A worrying game, but hinking back a few years
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:34:15 AM »
Has Searle had a start alongside WLR yet? All of our fly halfs look better when WLR is there making plays. Let Searle bed in and give him a chance to perform in an otherwise first choice team and we'll see how he compares.

It's not like Cipriani was infallible last season!