Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Northampton Saints v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 4400 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Northampton Saints v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« on: March 13, 2022, 05:03:52 PM »
Not good enough.

Not good enough.

Not good enough.

First up, well done Saints, no win since January, low on confidence and form, but still great value for their win. We on the other hand. I guess lets start off with the positives, the first 10 minutes and Porter....and that's about it.

I am going to be really brutal, because frankly this team has no excuses now. We have now got a team and resources available to us that should be creating better than this. Yet look to the lack of game control, look at the inaccuracies -the unforced errors, the knock ons, poor passing, silly penalties -, look at a complete paucity of any style of game plan, look at an inability to put a 80 minute game together. We started well, went 10 - 0 up and then conceded 19 unanswered points and 3 tries. We were left chasing a game (again). We are now still with one win away from home since October 2021 and we are getting closer to May 2022, that is inexcusable and shameful.

We are away to Gloucester, Irish and Tigers, does anyone really think we will win any of these? I certainly cannot see a win. Chances are Sale will turn us over at home as they are playing far better. So we are left with a shout against Newcastle and Worcester, and perhaps thats the biggest indictment of where we currently are, a bottom 4 club.

Chris

Once a Wasps ALWAYS a Wasp.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 05:06:03 PM by Wombles »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton Saints v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 05:09:59 PM »
Bang on Wombles. Error strewn, lethargic and lacking in discipline. Umaga’s slice which put everyone offside summed it up. Too many errors to possibly cover in every facet of the game. Porter and our back row were good. That was it. That was fairly terrible.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 05:17:11 PM »
All this , and if to rub our noses right in it , but are showing the story of 2004 again at 6:00 Hope the team are made to watch it in the dressing room.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 05:19:01 PM »
I’m just really disappointed on how bad the last 3 games have been. The urgency and game plan is just so off and we are carrying too many players.

Gopperth is a big no now, Bassett needs to be dropped, Dan the same. Umaga is just not good enough, Charlie is the same but I do think he will get better. 

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 05:21:33 PM »
For me the season is busted, it is worth experimenting in the remaining games.
That means dropping the undroppables.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 05:23:25 PM »
When we were backs to the wall and barely get a team together there were some huge performances with players putting bodies on the line. At times the defence was awesome.

Now we're just about back to full compliment nobody seems to want to lead. Its almost as if everyone is looking round waiting for someone else to take the initiative.

We're definitely less than the sum of the part.

We put out inept performances like that and still get an LPB so there's obviously something there, the big names need to start leading from the front.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 05:26:06 PM »
Robbo was better today based on his last 2 games, but still well below his best. Umaga was in and out of the game far far to much. Gopps has lost every ounce of speed and form and that rapidity in decline is very concerning. Bassett has been out of form for so long, is slower than he used to be, and is offering absolutely no attacking threat whatsoever. He does not deserve a starting spot currently. Mills? If he keeps breaking down then it is time to terminate his contract. I feel that Shields is forcing things too much at present in an attempt to carry the team.

But if you look across the whole squad there is a lack of unity and cohesion, and it shows by how players are isolated when a line break happens, passes dropped as they are not expecting them, how the entire game looks to forced. When you are not on the same page, it betrays a lack of a cogent game plan. We look like a team of individuals, and in rugby more than any other team sport without that foundation stone you are doomed to failure.

Lee, the coaches and the squad need to have a very honest meeting and work out what they want to be, and also work out what they need to do to get there.

Eezamarlowman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 05:28:18 PM »
Agree with other posters on the match thread, we have too many journeymen, players being carried by the likes of Shields, Willis brothers, Stooke, Launchers (now he is back), Barbeary, Odogwu, Cruse (when fit)…..running out of names now !

Jimmy looks like he has tuned out. Dobby looks like he has lost his edge since he is no longer part of Englands plans. It pains me to see the mess we are in now

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 05:31:05 PM »
For me we have a big drop off scrummaging wise when our first choices go off. I know Martinez is out but Harris must be on the bench. It’s too late for JTA to change now. It was noticeable today that we made zero attacking moves through our centres. Bassett is taking some stick but what did he have to work with?

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »
Genuine question to throw out there. With the players at our disposal and the way we are and have been playing for a long time is it time to start looking at the coaching

Eezamarlowman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 05:34:03 PM »
Genuine question to throw out there. With the players at our disposal and the way we are and have been playing for a long time is it time to start looking at the coaching
A reasonable thing to expect Covkid. Something ain’t right, that’s for sure

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2022, 05:35:32 PM »

I think Lee and the coaches are struggling to work out how we want to play the game.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 05:39:24 PM »

Been saying that for a while.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »
Depends what you mean. I certainly wouldn’t be considering getting rid of anyone. But I do think we need to find an identity to our play and a leader in the backs. We’re all at sea there at the moment but look capable of scoring once Porter comes on. I’m not so sure is coaching as much as multiple players being so far below par (Gopperth, Robson, Watson, Bassett).

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »
As an aside. Could someone explain what to do with a goal line drop out? I've seen plenty of sides get themselves into trouble with it. I don't think I've seen a team handle it well. Have coaches simply not worked out how best to use it? Or was the law change not properly thought through?

Usually it seems to be hoofed as far up field as possible and there is absolutely no chance of a kick chase. Is there a better way?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!