Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 7668 times)

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2022, 03:32:23 PM »
Hi Lateron

More like Hotel California
....you can check out any time you want...but you can never leave....

Once a wasp....

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2022, 03:50:25 PM »
Telling someone how to support your club, is difficult to take.

Someone who supposedly works in psychology, should know that

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2022, 11:17:21 PM »
‘Your participation is voluntary, you can leave at any time’

This line is the kind of thing companies like Timeshare and cults use, knowing full well the bag of tricks and subtle psychological methods they can use once the audience is captive. Yep it’s voluntary - at first - but developing a loyalty and devotion to a club is like love, even when it’s bad for you, you just can’t leave at anytime. Moving to Coventry wasn't good for me, but I couldn’t leave, and even less could I go and change my allegiance to another club that was local like Quins or Irish. It doesn’t make sense and it’s never that simple.

For example, if I really was Antoine DuPont I would be playing for Wasps!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2022, 07:50:15 AM »
I've been a Wasp supporter for 30 and more years now, and a match-going supporter for only 15 but I  could no more support another team or give them the loyalty or love that I have for Wasps than I could guide a rocket to the moon.  And I don't drive and I hate flying. Once a Wasp, and all that.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2022, 08:31:34 AM »
The way this  thread is developing it is getting more like threads on the DW site.

And it was those threads that caused many of us to leave that site.

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2022, 09:23:25 AM »
Hi Lateron

More like Hotel California
....you can check out any time you want...but you can never leave....

Once a wasp....

Oddly I don't/didn't have a problem with Hopwoods post.  I took it he/she was just telling me to calm down its only half time.   It does seem though that criticising the coaching team even at this late stage of the season for the poor performance of the team is not allowed.

We have an opportunity perhaps to sneak into the next stage of the Prem cup or even get some European glory in the Challenge Cup but I suspect a decision will be taken by 'management' to blood the youngsters and give game time to those who haven't played for a while.  That may be the right plan if we had a chance of a play off spot or had the Champions Cup ahead but we dont.  We will finish 9th in the Prem so why not go all out and try and win something in what's left of yet another poor season.

The Club needs some success no matter how small or where it comes from because success breeds confidence in the whole club, the players and the fans and it might even bring some folk back to CBSA. As shown by the pitiful turn out on Saturday, casual fans just are not bothering anymore.

Just my view.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
I wonder how much, if in fact anything, the soaring fuel costs have been affecting events where drivers attend?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2022, 10:07:05 AM »
I wonder how much, if in fact anything, the soaring fuel costs have been affecting events where drivers attend?

To date I suspect not as people have tickets or ST BUT renewal might be something a fair few consider if costs don't retreat.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2022, 10:17:28 AM »
The way this  thread is developing it is getting more like threads on the DW site.

And it was those threads that caused many of us to leave that site.

This is something I'm very aware of. I'd like to think the debate here is a little more respectful than it was there. But it's starting to get a little personal from time to time.

I guess I may have to moderate a little more actively...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2022, 10:25:35 AM »
The debates here should be maintained at first drink level in the pub. But recently some have declined to middle sesh level. What we want to avoid is full blown rammy at the end of the night. 🙄
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2022, 10:50:51 AM »
I think the attendance thing needs putting to bed. We are playing in a 32,000 stadium so it has more of a propensity to look empty. 8-9,000 is still more than we were getting in Wycombe. The ticket take at 8-9,000 is probably fairly similar to 15,000 in the past due to freebies.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2022, 11:07:47 AM »
I think the attendance thing needs putting to bed. We are playing in a 32,000 stadium so it has more of a propensity to look empty. 8-9,000 is still more than we were getting in Wycombe. The ticket take at 8-9,000 is probably fairly similar to 15,000 in the past due to freebies.

Agreed. Capacity at Adams Park was 10k, so 8-9 would have felt very full. Unless my memory fails me we used to sit at around 4-5 for normal games.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2022, 11:26:26 AM »

But 8-9,000 in a 32K stadium makes for a pretty soulless atmosphere.  Let's not kid ourselves that the atmosphere at the CBS is any better than it was when Irish were at the Mad Stad.  Big, oversized bowl with a handful of voices echoing around it.  Far from the early days at the Ricoh with crowds of 15-20K.  The freebies bolstered the crowd and improved the atmosphere which in turn encouraged more to return.  Throw in a run of poor performances and results on the pitch and a 4 hour round trip in the car, and the SE fan base will soon be lost.  Not much incentive when I can watch at home for a fraction of the cost, and generally create more of an atmosphere in my own living room!

Can't keep giving away tickets for ever, but if the best we can sustain without it is 8-9K, then someone needs to find another way of attracting and retaining support.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2022, 11:32:07 AM »

Agreed. Capacity at Adams Park was 10k, so 8-9 would have felt very full. Unless my memory fails me we used to sit at around 4-5 for normal games.

My memory too and still ages to get away.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2022, 11:32:56 AM »
Even if we restart the free tickets, they'll still eat and drink and shout.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!