Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New Signing - John Ryan  (Read 3229 times)

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New Signing - John Ryan
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2022, 04:52:57 PM »
Quality signing, adding more steel to our front row options. We will be very a powerful scrummaging side which seems to be a pre-requisite for any team with Top 4 ambitions.

Yeehah 🐝👏⭐️💥

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2022, 05:43:15 PM »
Quality signing, adding more steel to our front row options. We will be very a powerful scrummaging side which seems to be a pre-requisite for any team with Top 4 ambitions.

Yeehah 🐝👏⭐️💥

I think the key upside is taking the officiating as much out of the equations as possible. Even if we need to hold the opposition up due to some dodgy officiating - it's worth it to get regular, clean, quick ball on our own put in.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2022, 08:16:52 PM »
It may not be intentional but some refs will look at our front row and award pens based on that - it happens.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 03:25:01 AM »
Ryan at 33 and Koch at 32 could be very beneficial for eachother here in extending their careers.
Koch plays a hell of a lot of minutes for Sarries accompanied with the rigours of international rugby. Together they can rotate easily and we do not lose a lot at all.
There is still plenty of rugby for Alo and M-M to have as well as Hardwick coming through on that side.

They are two certified winners as well so will bring that mentality and culture with them. Hope we have them on two year deals at least.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:26:36 AM by JonnyD »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 06:03:40 AM »
There could be a minimum of 2 extra league games next season plus the expectation of making it in to the latter stages of the European Championship means that depth is needed. Looking at it the other way round, you need that depth to succeed in the latter stages of the European Championship and to make the top 4 of the Premiership. So yes, plenty of game time for all.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 07:27:19 AM »

I see this as Blackett saying that he can sort the backs out with minimal recruitment, providing the forward pack is dominant.

We see at other clubs that a dominant pack can make some comparatively average back lines look very good.

We also know that Blackett's primary role in the past has been a skills/backs/attack coach.

On paper, we should have a very very strong forward pack next season.
Not just a strong scrummaging unit, but one that should be strong in open play and at the breakdown too.

If that does translate to our half backs getting a fraction more time at each play, then we have no excuses if our backs struggle to create much next season.

I look forward to seeing the results

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2022, 09:14:44 AM »

I see this as Blackett saying that he can sort the backs out with minimal recruitment, providing the forward pack is dominant.

We see at other clubs that a dominant pack can make some comparatively average back lines look very good.

It's how England were doing there recent best before they started trying to get too funky.....Most sides, club or international, can place themselves at an advantage by having a solid set piece, a dynamic back row and options to take ball forwards. I think that Wasps have been at their best when the pack has delivered, back in the day and indeed on our run to the Prem final

It's part of the frustration with England that they reject the basics and appear surprised by the outcomes....If we can secure our power up front - then a lot of the rest falls into place.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2022, 09:59:59 AM »
It may not be intentional but some refs will look at our front row and award pens based on that - it happens.

Tim Payne was always much maligned by referees. Double yellow in one game.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2022, 10:32:42 AM »
Does anyone think this is the a singular signing or do we think more to be announced? Came out the blue a little even though we all thought this was a done deal.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2022, 10:44:35 AM »
Does anyone think this is the a singular signing or do we think more to be announced? Came out the blue a little even though we all thought this was a done deal.

I'm not sure about if we'll get some announcements this week or not, but can I say after Alo re-signed I assumed John Ryan rumour wasn't true because it was such insane depth at tighthead. So didn't think it was an absolute given he'd signed. Glad I was wrong there.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2022, 10:46:06 AM »
Does anyone think this is the a singular signing or do we think more to be announced?

Given there have been comments form Lee saying other signing had been made but not announced I would expect some more. Hopefully announced as part of a strategy to encourage season ticket sales?

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2022, 11:08:42 AM »

Having confirmed the signings of Koch, Ryan, Odendaal and Kiran McDonald (and the academy upgrades) l think next season's squad looks terrific so can't imagine many more coming through the door.

Because I'm greedy, Haydon-Wood would be a real bonus and perhaps one more centre eg Piers O'Connor?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2022, 11:42:26 AM »

Having confirmed the signings of Koch, Ryan, Odendaal and Kiran McDonald (and the academy upgrades) l think next season's squad looks terrific so can't imagine many more coming through the door.

Because I'm greedy, Haydon-Wood would be a real bonus and perhaps one more centre eg Piers O'Connor?

Greed is good ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2022, 12:35:41 PM »
definitely wouldn't mind another centre, also would like Josh Bassett to get back to form, he just can't buy a try at the moment 

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2022, 02:48:36 PM »
Blackett spoke last week about wanting another ‘hard running back’ but also how we were pretty well set at 12 for next year so assume not a 12.