Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up  (Read 4511 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Teams Up
« on: November 30, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »
15 Wille Le Roux
14 Ross Neal
13 Elliot Daly (c)
12 Michael Le Bourgeois
11 Michele Campagnaro
10 Lima Sopoaga
9 Craig Hampson
1 Ben Harris
2 Antonio Harris
3 Kieran Brookes
4 Will Rowlands
5 Kearnan Myall
6 Brad Shields
7 Nizaam Carr
8 Nathan Hughes

Replacements
16 Gabriel Oghre
17 Zurabi Zhvania
18 Mike Daniels
19 Charlie Matthews
20 Ben Morris
21 Will Porter
22 Billy Searle
23 Juan de Jongh

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:05:42 PM »
It felt good having the "Teams Up" thread on this forum :)

New signing Michele Campagnaro will make his Wasps debut at Allianz Park as Wasps prepare to take on Saracens in Round 9 of the Gallagher Premiership on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

The Italian is straight into the starting line-up after joining up with the team earlier this week, while fellow international stars Willie Le Roux, Elliot Daly, Brad Shields, Nathan Hughes and Zurabi Zhvania all return to the squad.

Campagnaro is named on the left wing in a back three that includes Springbok Le Roux at full back and Ross Neal on the right wing – the latter keeping his place after an impressive two-try, man-of-the-match performance on his Premiership debut last weekend.

In the centres, Daly skippers the side at 13 next to Michael Le Bourgeois while Lima Sopoaga and Craig Hampson continue their half-back partnership.

In the pack, Nizaam Carr recovers from a shoulder knock to start in the back row next to England pair Brad Shields and Nathan Hughes while Ashley Johnson (knee) and Thomas Young (hamstring and calf) are sidelined.

Kearnan Myall is restored to the second row alongside Will Rowlands, with James Gaskell (back) missing out.

The front row sees Kieran Brookes return while Antonio Harris is set for his first Premiership start at hooker as Tom Cruse (ribs) is sidelined. Ben Harris starts again at loosehead.

Academy hooker Gabriel Oghre could make his Premiership debut off the bench while Nottingham Rugby tighthead Mike Daniels is called into the Wasps replacements with Will Stuart (neck) and Jake Cooper-Woolley (ribs) injured.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “We’re striving for some consistency but it doesn’t help when we keep losing players. Combinations seem to be challenged weekly but hopefully our luck with injuries will turn and we’re expecting a lot of guys back in the New Year.

“This weekend we have got to take our best game to Saracens. We all know the quality they have and how hard it is to break their defence down.

“We’ve got to be stringent in defence, we can’t give easy points away and our set-piece has got to get parity.

“For us it’s about backing up last week’s performance, trying to get some momentum going into Europe and we certainly want to come away with something.”

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »

Mike Daniels is the replacement tight head.
That's a sign of where we are with injuries (no disrespect meant)

Could be a long day for the pack

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »
Especially with Sarries only resting Farrell
FORWARDS: Titi Lamositele (60), Jamie George (204), Vincent Koch (45), Maro Itoje (102), Will Skelton (36), Mike Rhodes (80), Calum Clark (23), Jackson Wray (208).
BACKS: Liam Williams (21), Sean Maitland (49), Alex Lozowski (68), Brad Barritt (232), Alex Lewington (11), Alex Goode (271), Richard Wigglesworth (218).
REPLACEMENTS: Tom Woolstencroft (5), Ralph Adams-Hale (2), Juan Figallo (91), Nick Isiekwe (42), Dom Day (19), Ben Earl (24), Ben Spencer (141), Nick Tompkins (79).

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
Sarries have a 6/2 bench. Is that a pointer to how they want to play?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 12:26:53 PM »
It's interesting that Goode has gone to 10 in place of Loz.
I think that suggests that Loz is no longer seen as a 10 at all
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:35:00 PM by wasps »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »
What happened to Bertie?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »

If this was the other site, it'd be because he's become disillusioned, hates the club and training ground, wants to play NFL/NBA/NHA, Dai has lost the dressing room and that he wants to play Fly half.

In reality, he probably picked up a knock.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »
I'm not happy with Elliot as skipper. As Jamma presumably has a knock, I would like to see Brad given a go.

Good to give Campo a start ASAP. Also more flexibility if injuries happen and replacements are needed.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »

If this was the other site, it'd be because he's become disillusioned, hates the club and training ground, wants to play NFL/NBA/NHA, Dai has lost the dressing room and that he wants to play Fly half.

I hear he's definitely signing for Saints last year.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

I hear he's definitely signing for Saints last year.

Damnit. I forgot that one

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 02:18:51 PM »
I'm not happy with Elliot as skipper. As Jamma presumably has a knock, I would like to see Brad given a go.

Good to give Campo a start ASAP. Also more flexibility if injuries happen and replacements are needed.

I'm happy to give Elliot a chance to show he can do it while playing in his favoured position.  But my instinct is that we need someone more forceful.  He is undeniably brilliant, but seems a little too quiet to be a truly effective captain.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 02:30:18 PM »
I often like the idea of a back as the captain.
You then have a forward as the pack leader and it means both can support each other.

I remember how Elliott's attitude matured when he got a yellow for vocally complaining to the referee a few years ago.

This could be the making of him.
Alternatively, as he's constantly switching positions, maybe he doesn't need the extra distraction
Fingers crossed it's the former

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 11:33:41 PM »
The backs look good, if yet again shuffled. Quite a statement of depth if our scrum can manage parity against a strong Sarries pack, as Dai hopes. If not then some valuable experience will have been gained by a few up and coming players.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
Looks like 4th choice Loosehead and 4th choice Hooker, could be a long afternoon for those boys in particular and the team as a whole but as above post points out it will also be valuable experience.