Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Biarritz v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 1609 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Biarritz v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« on: April 15, 2022, 07:58:29 PM »
Forwards win you games, Alfie decides by how much

The wait for a 80 minute performance continues

Last 8 here we come.

We got there, it was far closer than it probably should of been given the first 40, but that old adage of Forwards winning was proved correct as our maul turned the screw in the last 10 and took the game away from Biarritz after their spirited second forty. Lee et al are going to have to work out how to get a 80 minute performance out of the team, and not only for one match but much more consistently. In the first forty we were all over Biarritz, dominating the set piece, gain line, and playing at pace with ball in hand. We showed in that first half what we are capable of. However in the second half a combination of a much better performance from the men from the Basque and us dropping off in intensity made that a squeaky bum last 10. However we managed to get over the line and the quarters awaits!

Well done boys!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Biarritz v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 08:02:23 PM »
That was squeaky bum time
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 08:04:45 PM »
Despite both blood pressure and heart rate high, I didn't actually think we'd lose it.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »
Not sure it’s about us giving an 80 minute performance. You can’t expect to dominate whole games - the opposition has a say in it. We played some really good stuff tonight - Atkinson possibly as good as I’ve seen him. Plenty of tries, a win away in France and a QF to look forward to. Irrespective of the pattern of the game I’d have taken a 10 point win at the outset.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 08:07:01 PM »
A fairly sedate bottle of Rioja in the first half but a gulped one in the second.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 08:12:27 PM »
Well done for winning, decent first half. Alfie was very good. I would just like to see us with a bit more game control, it was scrappy throughout the game.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 08:14:24 PM »
With no relegation in the Prem, I've missed the intensity and drama of a knockout game.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 08:26:53 PM »
With no relegation in the Prem, I've missed the intensity and drama of a knockout game.

Well you've got a second dose on the w/e of 6/7/8 May!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 08:41:59 PM »
Firstly, a win in France against any side is to be applauded, doubly so against a very proud Biarritz no matter where they are in the league. And let’s not forget we had to scramble to even get the kit there, let alone organise a squad and tactics. 

I thought Charlie and Jacob looked good. Charlie’s defensive work is very good and improving although he’s still not quite there as a top class 10, but at the age of 20 that will come.

Stooke yet again great at leading the line out, a very shrewd signing.

The kick chase really improved after Josh came on, obviously had something to prove, but I felt that helped to stop the the tide in the 2nd half as it meant we were defending on the line they took the ball not 20m up the field. 

The whole squad should be congratulated on not crumbling as they fought back. As the saying goes, they had “the big mo”, but the guys dug deep and believed in themselves. I think this is another big step forward the squad and gives me more confidence we’ll get a top 8 finish. 

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 12:44:10 AM »
I’m very much seeing this as the awkward second album season for our youngsters. They have huge amounts of talent but are properly finding their feet now. Serious injuries, time out, growth, dips in form, bitter lessons being learnt, we’ve had all of this year. I have absolutely no doubt that our younger players are gonna be immense next year. Our youth is growing and dragging the whole club up now they’re getting their man strength. Good times ahead. Tonight was waaaay too easy and then it wasn’t. We still won though.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 03:49:58 AM »
Know they’re not getting any younger but Speight or Kuridrani as an addition as a ‘powerful running back’ next year if Biarritz get relegated could work for me

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 01:06:40 PM »
Re-watched the tries, and 3 of ours came about from a Biarritz player shooting up out of the line and Atkinson or Barbeary exploiting the resulting dog-leg. Emphases the importance of a cohesive defensive line and playing heads up in attack.

Of theirs, 2 are from mauls where the Biarritz player breaks off just after our player (perhaps Frost in both cases?) joins the maul as it starts to creak forward (not blaming Frost). I guess after the first time it happened we put Barbeary there but he was slow off the mark and then took the player too high to stop him. Something for the coaches to solve.

Armitage's try for them should not have happened (at least not off first phase), yes he has decent acceleration but a no.8 shouldn't be making it over from that far out when the scrum doesn't wheel a lot, seems Willis hesitated about which way he had gone or something.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 08:47:26 AM »
Re-watched the tries, and 3 of ours came about from a Biarritz player shooting up out of the line and Atkinson or Barbeary exploiting the resulting dog-leg. Emphases the importance of a cohesive defensive line and playing heads up in attack.

Of theirs, 2 are from mauls where the Biarritz player breaks off just after our player (perhaps Frost in both cases?) joins the maul as it starts to creak forward (not blaming Frost). I guess after the first time it happened we put Barbeary there but he was slow off the mark and then took the player too high to stop him. Something for the coaches to solve.

Armitage's try for them should not have happened (at least not off first phase), yes he has decent acceleration but a no.8 shouldn't be making it over from that far out when the scrum doesn't wheel a lot, seems Willis hesitated about which way he had gone or something.

I think on one occasion it was Gabby, I wondered if Gabby joined the maul to early and so couldn't make the tackle, but maybe if he hadn't then they would have rumbled over anyway. Perhaps it was earlier in the maul that Biarritz did the damage when setting up and then good awareness from the ball carrier.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 01:41:16 PM »
Biarritz first try was Alfie committing to the maul from guard position and leaving a hole. As soon as he joined they attacked the space where he'd been and scored.