Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 13?  (Read 1080 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
13?
« on: April 16, 2022, 11:41:04 AM »
The position that’s starting to intrigue me for next year is 13. Most of the rest of it is falling into place. It seems we’ll be seeing Atkinson/WHW at 10 and Umaga at 15 as a general template. Odendaal will start at 12 given Jimmy’s absence. So what about 13. I’m not sure a midfield of Odendaal and Spink has enough attack wise. But maybe that’s ok with Umaga at 15. We could move Odogwu in one and with Odendaal carrying he could be lethal in attack. But he’s positionally suspect at 13. Blackett has said he may sign a hard running back - if he does that may well be at 13. It’s the one position I think there is some real uncertainty about for next year.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: 13?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 11:47:15 AM »
Alfie?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »
Spink - if he can stay fit.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 01:28:08 PM »

I'm happy with anyone providing they can tackle and remain organised in defence.
Going forwards go straight, leave space for the wingers and pass the ball when required

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 08:58:16 PM »
I'm not seeing a conundrum here, for me it's Odogwu first choice then Spink as cover.

We have Bassett, Kibirige, Watson, Minozzi, Hougaard and Mehson as wingers with Crossdale more than capable employed out wide, even if we lose two of those above we are still well covered.

If it wasn't for the fact we have a World Class 13 in Fekitoa, Odogwu would be a shoe-in at Outside Centre every week.

Jac A

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 11:39:51 PM »
I'm not seeing a conundrum here, for me it's Odogwu first choice then Spink as cover.

Totally agree with this bit but what that does mean is that we only have two players - one of whom has only played 10 games at 13 and one with a worrying injury who has only played 22 professional games in total - to cover 13 for a whole season. This year we have had to use Josh Bassett, Alex McHenry and Booj as starting OCs on 8 occasions (1/3 of all Prem and European games). For me 13 is the area we lack cover the most.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 02:34:06 AM »
I think it would also be easy to rotate in someone at 12 and Odendaal plays 13.

Quite a few here have discussed some of the narrative around Mills sounds like he could be staying next year and if fit I think he probably starts at 12 - very easy to have Odendaal at 13.

Spink has been great getting a run of games together and the same will be needed for Simonds and Hartley next year.

Any rumours of the A league returning next year?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 09:43:16 AM »

Totally agree with this bit but what that does mean is that we only have two players - one of whom has only played 10 games at 13 and one with a worrying injury who has only played 22 professional games in total - to cover 13 for a whole season. This year we have had to use Josh Bassett, Alex McHenry and Booj as starting OCs on 8 occasions (1/3 of all Prem and European games). For me 13 is the area we lack cover the most.
Agreed. I’d prefer the much talked about hard running back to be a 13 who can cover 12 rather than a winger.