Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Its time to get angry!  (Read 2436 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Its time to get angry!
« on: May 01, 2022, 09:55:25 PM »
Do you know what....it really is time to get angry! Today was an abomination! No self respecting team should ship a 25 point lead at any stage or level, but equally no team that wants to win things should accept what happened today and give out the " we will learn" excuse out once again.

Frankly I have had enough!

I remember the parker pen victory, I remember the team in black and gold go to Munsters HQ and win against the odds. I remember the blitz defence. I remember Varndell not giving up and saving us from oblivion, I remember our DOR paying for tape when the coffers were empty,  I remember a captain in LOL and his team that everyone followed to the ends of the earth.....and importantly they won!

Perhaps this generation needs to realise quite what a huge club and legend they play for! And perhaps they also need to realise that nothing comes without committing absolutely everything!

"Once a Wasp" is not a simple term, it defines us all, from the fan to the chairman! It is something so special & unique.

Perhaps after today if anyone in this squad is not 100% committed to this then they can walk away now, because we do not have time for anything less! This may be a team of waifs and strays, but it is one that carries an identity so deep that anything less than total commitment is not enough, and insults those that have worn/currently wear/and will wear the black and gold!

So to all our players, if you really understand how privileged you are to play for us, we will support you to the hilt. If you are not committed, you are not good enough. It may sound callous, but this club, this support, this "us" deserves more! either ship up or ship out! The choice is yours!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 09:57:41 PM by Wombles »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Its time to get angry!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 10:43:09 PM »
Light blue touch paper, and run.

In a way, I sort of agree, but not entirely. There were a lot of our players out there giving their all. Almost all of those that started, these (obvious exception is West, who went off):

Oghre
Alo
Launchbury
Stooke
Shields
Both of the Willis brothers
Robson
Atkinson
Bassett
Gopperth
Hougaard

But only Harris from the bench was worth being on the sheet for me today.

So, no, I don't entirely agree. But something was seriously wrong that all those bench players collectively under-performed like that. They were not pumped up, not ready.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 11:29:33 PM »
If a player cannot light the blue touch paper, and not only stand by it whilst it explodes whilst also taking a step forward into it as it ignites, then they do not deserve to be here. That is what it means to be a Wasp. You have to be willing to give everything or you do not deserve to be here. It really is that simple. You want the best you choose those that will die for you 10 times over. and do it again! When the players wake tomorrow they need to work out if they want to be the best....a la a Wasp....or just be an also ran. Because we accept nothing less...and perhaps its time we demonstrated it!

Jac A

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 11:44:39 PM »
This sounds like hyperbolic nonsense. I'm sure they will be upset and angry with themselves but they are professionals doing a job. Sometimes I mess up and have a bad day - it's human nature.

Will Porter made a couple of mistakes and will probably be doing extras in the week but prior to today he has been superb recently and earning rave reviews on here. I don't think one bad day should mean he needs to re-evaluate playing for Wasps. Likewise Odogwu - he's played some great rugby, scored some great tries and seems valued and a real part of the team, I'm not going to question his passion or commitment based on a bad 15 mins.

I said on a couple of threads now - this was an exception from our bench, our replacements have generally been good all season. I think we just need to not get too carried away with knee-jerk, all-or-nothing reactions. London Irish had a good bench, Henry Arundell will be a star and he came on and changed the game - it happens.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 12:13:35 AM »
Do you know what....it really is time to get angry! Today was an abomination! No self respecting team should ship a 25 point lead at any stage or level, but equally no team that wants to win things should accept what happened today and give out the " we will learn" excuse out once again.

Frankly I have had enough!

I remember the parker pen victory, I remember the team in black and gold go to Munsters HQ and win against the odds. I remember the blitz defence. I remember Varndell not giving up and saving us from oblivion, I remember our DOR paying for tape when the coffers were empty,  I remember a captain in LOL and his team that everyone followed to the ends of the earth.....and importantly they won!

Perhaps this generation needs to realise quite what a huge club and legend they play for! And perhaps they also need to realise that nothing comes without committing absolutely everything!

"Once a Wasp" is not a simple term, it defines us all, from the fan to the chairman! It is something so special & unique.

Perhaps after today if anyone in this squad is not 100% committed to this then they can walk away now, because we do not have time for anything less! This may be a team of waifs and strays, but it is one that carries an identity so deep that anything less than total commitment is not enough, and insults those that have worn/currently wear/and will wear the black and gold!

So to all our players, if you really understand how privileged you are to play for us, we will support you to the hilt. If you are not committed, you are not good enough. It may sound callous, but this club, this support, this "us" deserves more! either ship up or ship out! The choice is yours!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

+ me and the missus.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 03:08:14 AM »
4 trys in 13 minutes got to be close to being a record.

Lee needs to start showing players that stupid mistakes will have Consequences.

In my opinion a good player is someone that doesn’t make many mistakes

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 07:39:20 AM »
Will Porter made a couple of mistakes and will probably be doing extras in the week but prior to today he has been superb recently and earning rave reviews on here. I don't think one bad day should mean he needs to re-evaluate playing for Wasps. Likewise Odogwu - he's played some great rugby, scored some great tries and seems valued and a real part of the team, I'm not going to question his passion or commitment based on a bad 15 mins.

I agree it's not right or fair to lay the blame at the feet of specific players, but this season and the last have been filled with games where we underperformed byt had ready excuses for it.

How long do we have to drift downwards or cement our place as a bottom half of the table side before someone finally addresses it?

I agree with Chris that there is something not right in the culture of the squad, and that comes from the top.

We need a Director of Rugby who can bring some passion, some self belief, and some proper grit into this team, or Wasps are only ever going to be a shadow of their former selves.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 07:53:46 AM »
This is becoming a habit but I agree totally with NWW  -  yet again.   Maybe the replacements were too relaxed and thought a win was nailed on.  They reckoned without Arundell.  How could anyone lose 24 points in such a short time.  Hopefully they will learn from it.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 08:15:47 AM »
Light blue touch paper, and run.

In a way, I sort of agree, but not entirely. There were a lot of our players out there giving their all. Almost all of those that started, these (obvious exception is West, who went off):

Oghre
Alo
Launchbury
Stooke
Shields
Both of the Willis brothers
Robson
Atkinson
Bassett
Gopperth
Hougaard

But only Harris from the bench was worth being on the sheet for me today.

So, no, I don't entirely agree. But something was seriously wrong that all those bench players collectively under-performed like that. They were not pumped up, not ready.

+ 1

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 08:33:09 AM »

I agree it's not right or fair to lay the blame at the feet of specific players, but this season and the last have been filled with games where we underperformed byt had ready excuses for it.

How long do we have to drift downwards or cement our place as a bottom half of the table side before someone finally addresses it?

I agree with Chris that there is something not right in the culture of the squad, and that comes from the top.

We need a Director of Rugby who can bring some passion, some self belief, and some proper grit into this team, or Wasps are only ever going to be a shadow of their former selves.

Disagree. We were dominant for the first 65 minutes yesterday. Both benches came on and that changed the game - hats off to Arundell particularly and it was a poor decision by Porter to take a tap penalty - not sure that is a culture or DOR problem.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 08:42:52 AM »
Porter trying to take the tap penalty is nothing to do with coaching or culture, it is the problem that every team has with scrum halves - they are expected to be arrogant know-alls and sometimes, unless they have a really dominant captain, like we had with Lol, they cannot be controlled properly.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 10:17:17 AM »
I don’t think the last 15 were anything to do with lack of passion or commitment. The timing of the subs was when we were 25 points up and meant they came on believing the game was done. Then a couple of tries later panic set in, game management disappeared and we imploded. Robson was controlling things to such an extent he had to stay on. It was also clear Hougaard was done and should have been replaced by Odogwu - but it was Gopperth that went - so we ended up with a winger out of gas and our coolest head off the pitch.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 11:16:16 AM »
Disagree. We were dominant for the first 65 minutes yesterday. Both benches came on and that changed the game - hats off to Arundell particularly and it was a poor decision by Porter to take a tap penalty - not sure that is a culture or DOR problem.

I think you missed my point. I'm not specifically talking about the one game. I'm talking about the fact that we are now a nailed on bottom half club. That we are no longer a threat to other teams. That we ALWAYS have a ready excuse as.to why we failed to perform, or only played half a game.

Can you honestly say that you are happy with the way we have performed over the last 2 seasons?

I can't.

And I also can't see how just hoping we might get better ecentually is actually a decent strategy to improve things.

If we as a club don't change something, nothing will change.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 11:58:49 AM »

I think you missed my point. I'm not specifically talking about the one game. I'm talking about the fact that we are now a nailed on bottom half club. That we are no longer a threat to other teams. That we ALWAYS have a ready excuse as.to why we failed to perform, or only played half a game.

Can you honestly say that you are happy with the way we have performed over the last 2 seasons?

I can't.

And I also can't see how just hoping we might get better ecentually is actually a decent strategy to improve things.

No - I haven't always been happy in the last 2 years but lets not forget that 3 years ago - under Lee's leadership - we were a cat's whisker away from winning the Premiership. It was a fantastic time to be a wasps fan.

Having gone through c.2 difficult seasons we have - this season - had appalling luck with injuries but seen exciting wins against the likes of Gloucester, Saracens, Toulouse and Exeter.

We are transitioning into a more balanced squad with the best set of forwards we have seen for years; there is a better buzz around the club (mainly because the work of Stephen Vaughan); we have some exciting youngsters who are only going to get better and I believe our trajectory is upwards.

I can't wait to see how we get on next week against Edinburgh (I believe we will win); who we next sign and for next season to start. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 01:57:36 PM »

I can't.

My point of view on this is that these periods are what supporting a team is all about. Not questioning anyone’s commitment but just that the expectation that we should be always top 4 and challenging is a unrealistic. Apart from the team that has not operated inside the rules no one has really had that dominance. We had some nailed on top 4 years, Exeter have had a few, now we’re seeing Tigers and Quins but also the likes of Saints challenging again. It’s ifs buts and maybes but I think we’d have been pushing top 4 without our injuries this year. I agree next year we definitely need to see progress and be in around top 4. The cycle then turns again.