Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Coaching Switch  (Read 1355 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Coaching Switch
« on: May 03, 2022, 03:04:52 PM »
According to rugby pass since mid March Mitchell has swapped roles with Everard. Mitchell to defence - Everard to attack. Certainly seems to be working.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 03:45:50 PM »
John Mitchell's new role as Wasps make mid-season coach swap

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/john-mitchell-wasps-rugby-23852332

Certainly, the defence looked formidable until the subs came on.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 03:54:42 PM »
I always rated Mitch as a defence coach. He did it in his previous spell at Wasps.

Do we know what the length of his contract is at wasps?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »
He is coaching defence with Japan as well isn't he so makes sense he gets some practice in ahead of that and can bring back ideas in that role.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 05:16:54 PM by Chunky24 »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 04:36:01 PM »
At least it means he IS with us next season.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 05:38:22 PM »
I stand by it, Mitchell should never have been the attack coach. He had just finished being an incredible defence coach for England, that's where he should've started for us. The attack has definitely lost a touch of fluidity since Gleeson left.

hopwood

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 06:26:29 PM »
I stand by it, Mitchell should never have been the attack coach. He had just finished being an incredible defence coach for England, that's where he should've started for us. The attack has definitely lost a touch of fluidity since Gleeson left.

Yes, absolutely. They have lost some fluidity for sure.
However, given that context, it’s obviously going to take a bit of time to bed in a new approach.
And it shows a bit.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 06:41:22 PM »
Is he still going to be working with Eddie Jones in Japan? Two strong personalities.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 08:21:26 PM »
Is he still going to be working with Eddie Jones in Japan? Two strong personalities.

Think Eddie has only been doing some club consultancy work there recently not involved with the international set up.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 11:02:47 PM »
Very interesting.
Defence has looked better with Mitchell there but also the attack has looked better without him

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 08:33:12 AM »
Everard strikes me as a decent coach. Improvement in attack could also be down to him. Isn’t Robinson still in the mix? Skills coach? Also it’s not feasible that these guys exist in silos. Having a title is one thing but they must swap ideas etc all the time.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 10:42:11 AM »
Interesting tweet from BB.

"While JM might be the name in the headline, it’s worth pointing out the changes in Wasps’ attack since Everard switched. They’ve averaged 36.7pts scored across an unbeaten 7-game period and look far more fluent & dangerous"
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 11:04:58 AM »

"While JM might be the name in the headline, it’s worth pointing out the changes in Wasps’ attack since Everard switched. They’ve averaged 36.7pts scored across an unbeaten 7-game period and look far more fluent & dangerous"
Earlier in the season I wasn't impressed by Wasps attack. On the other hand our defence could be good at times. However, with so many injuries and front line players missing, continuity was difficult to achieve and drop offs inevitable.

My conclusion was that Everard has potential to be a very good coach, particularly after his role bringing so many academy graduates through, but Mitchell is not a natural attack coach. His forté is definitely defence.

Given Mitch will be away before the end of the season, Everard can transition between roles for a couple of matches too.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 11:31:13 AM »

A fact skewed somewhat by front line players returning from injury and improving weather conditions.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 12:37:04 PM »

A fact skewed somewhat by front line players returning from injury and improving weather conditions.

Oi coddy. I think you should change your handle to 'wet blanket'  ;) ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!