Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 'Watch this space': Could Christian Wade be set for a rugby union return?  (Read 6571 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Wadey just tweeted that he and the missus are back in London.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wadey just tweeted that he and the missus are back in London.

"It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand"

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Lets hope there's room in the salary cap if he does want to return to Wasps' colours.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Maybe controversial but would this be a good signing now? 30 and out of the game for 2 and a half years. He’ll have lost so much conditioning - maybe not aerobically or speed wise but just the hardness of the game. He’s also had a shoulder issue. And could he say he’s 100% “into it” given the circumstances. I’m not sure this would work out.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Maybe controversial but would this be a good signing now? 30 and out of the game for 2 and a half years. He’ll have lost so much conditioning - maybe not aerobically or speed wise but just the hardness of the game. He’s also had a shoulder issue. And could he say he’s 100% “into it” given the circumstances. I’m not sure this would work out.

Our wing options recently have been average at best.
Bassett being the pick of the bunch, and Odogwu suggesting at times that he could be very good.

The opposition aren't scared by our wingers.

I expect Wade to be bigger than he was. I would have thought the NFL training would have seen some muscle bulk added. His explosive power which was already excellent will likely be exceptional now.

I would 100% be interested in seeing what a 30 year old Christian Wade can offer.
Hell, I'd be interested in seeing what a 40 year old Christian Wade can offer.

But, it ain't gonna happen

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wadey was down to be "inducted" into the Wasps Legends Hall of Fame at the Dinner last month at the CBS, but then wasn't?

One of the "conditions" of that is that you need to be retired from Rugby for at least 2 years - so maybe that tells you something? (I wish)!

I think that Wasps Legends did release a short highlights reel at the time that brought back so many wonderful memories, so if he was up for it (and we could afford him) I would absolutely go for it. His running talent is so natural and he'd probably be physically bigger and quicker and it wouldn't take him long to "get back up to speed" with Union.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
As he's been training as a running back with the Buffalo Bills, I wonder how he'd look at centre now?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

MarleyWasp

As he's been training as a running back with the Buffalo Bills, I wonder how he'd look at centre now?

I was wondering this too, especially given how Paolo has gone at 13. Gabriel Ibitoye also switched the 13 in the Rugby Europe Super Cup and whilst defensively wasn't great, created a lot of headaches in attack.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
From Lee

"Wasps head coach Lee Blackett has given his view on a possible return for wing Christian Wade, who has been released by NFL side the Buffalo Bills.

Despite Blackett admitting there had been no contact with the player, he’s well thought of by the Premiership side who are keen admirers of Wade.

Wade sits fourth on the Premiership’s leading try-scorer list after a prolific stint with Wasps from 2011 to 2017 before he made a move to the USA.

Great character

“I love Wadey. He’s a great character, he’s a great finisher. But in terms of coming back to Wasps, or coming back to rugby union, I’ve not heard anything,” Blackett said of the Wasps favourite.

“From a Wasps perspective, we were pretty gutted (when he left) because of the quality player he is, quality person he is.

“He’s one of those guys that when you saw him every day, no matter what he did, he always made you smile.

“There’s still people here who know Wadey really well. You still hear the stories and what people are saying.

“Only the other day there was a lot of people talking about him here. He is someone everyone keeps an eye on.”

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
From Lee

"Wasps head coach Lee Blackett has given his view on a possible return for wing Christian Wade, who has been released by NFL side the Buffalo Bills.

Despite Blackett admitting there had been no contact with the player, he’s well thought of by the Premiership side who are keen admirers of Wade.

Wade sits fourth on the Premiership’s leading try-scorer list after a prolific stint with Wasps from 2011 to 2017 before he made a move to the USA.

Great character

“I love Wadey. He’s a great character, he’s a great finisher. But in terms of coming back to Wasps, or coming back to rugby union, I’ve not heard anything,” Blackett said of the Wasps favourite.

“From a Wasps perspective, we were pretty gutted (when he left) because of the quality player he is, quality person he is.

“He’s one of those guys that when you saw him every day, no matter what he did, he always made you smile.

“There’s still people here who know Wadey really well. You still hear the stories and what people are saying.

“Only the other day there was a lot of people talking about him here. He is someone everyone keeps an eye on.”

That sounds promising. I'd be heartbroken if he went to any other club.

Heathen

• View Profile
From Lee

Great character

That sounds promising. I'd be heartbroken if he went to any other club.

+1

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Seeing a few rumours around Tigers appearing on Twitter.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Surely the EA’s will have a bit more room under their special salary cap..

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
If it happens my money is on Quins.