Always a Wasp

Author Topic: WRU in the cackey stuff - 1 region to go?  (Read 1268 times)

Heathen

• View Profile

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: WRU in the cackey stuff - 1 region to go?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 11:14:06 PM »
You have to say their absurd policy on who can play internationally for them has a role to play in this. If one is to go I wouldn’t fancy being in Dargons’ shoes. Ospreys, Cardiff and Scarlets won’t be going anywhere.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 07:36:10 AM »
You have to say their absurd policy on who can play internationally for them has a role to play in this. If one is to go I wouldn’t fancy being in Dargons’ shoes. Ospreys, Cardiff and Scarlets won’t be going anywhere.

I saw comments it might be Ospreys. Would seem unlikely but who knows.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 10:54:25 AM »

I was thinking this too. Imagine being a Welsh qualified player in England, for example, and thinking that, despite playing yourself into contention for international selection, you know you will have to move at some point and you've somehow got to fit into one of only three regions? That's not taking into account whether they'll actually take you on and getting enough game time to keep momentum up.

I think it only works in Ireland (I know there's more than three provinces in Ireland but I'd say that the bulk of the Irish setup come from Leinster or Munster) because the players are contracted by the IRFU rather than the provinces themselves.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 01:10:59 PM »
Lots of local talk of Ospreys Scarlets merger, again. Not positive talk, fearful.
Dragons you would think, but really the reason why it has been a sh1tshow is the old clubs had roots. Neath Swansea was iconic. Ponty v Cardiff ditto. The Warriors debacle mixed the most middle class region with a geographically inaccessible working class region that prided itself on being 'not Cardiff'.
When that went there was good east west symmetry, but the academy and feeder situation was awful, and the fans only felt it in the derby matches. New grounds did not help- the Ospreys roll around a football stadium like we do, but with far fewer fans except for those derby matches. If you think 10 k is bad for us, try their attendance. The Parc y Scarlets ground is decent, ideal in many ways, but they still don't get the crowds. Cardiff moved out and back, but they need a redevelopment. Don't get me started on Rodney Parade. These places are not going to make money without investment in the facilities and fans that care.
Let us face it, the Welsh want to play the Welsh and the English. That brings bums on seats. Not Munster seconds on a damp Feb Friday, especially when Munster win.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 08:29:42 PM »
Lots of local talk of Ospreys Scarlets merger, again. Not positive talk, fearful.
Dragons you would think, but really the reason why it has been a sh1tshow is the old clubs had roots. Neath Swansea was iconic. Ponty v Cardiff ditto. The Warriors debacle mixed the most middle class region with a geographically inaccessible working class region that prided itself on being 'not Cardiff'.
When that went there was good east west symmetry, but the academy and feeder situation was awful, and the fans only felt it in the derby matches. New grounds did not help- the Ospreys roll around a football stadium like we do, but with far fewer fans except for those derby matches. If you think 10 k is bad for us, try their attendance. The Parc y Scarlets ground is decent, ideal in many ways, but they still don't get the crowds. Cardiff moved out and back, but they need a redevelopment. Don't get me started on Rodney Parade. These places are not going to make money without investment in the facilities and fans that care.
Let us face it, the Welsh want to play the Welsh and the English. That brings bums on seats. Not Munster seconds on a damp Feb Friday, especially when Munster win.

Do you think it would be more advantageous for the the Welsh regions to consider looking at a switch to the Premiership now that SA teams on board? More potential localised matches and potential to bring back Anglo Welsh cup. I could see it benefiting Welsh rugby with larger attendances.
 Then you would have to consider what advantage for the English game. Maybe a look at the possibility of making two divisions including those championship sides that want to progress .

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 08:55:19 PM »

,,,Maybe a look at the possibility of making two divisions including those championship sides that want to progress .

Being roughly equidistant from Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Llanelli, Gloucester and Worcester, that would be quite attractive to me!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 09:40:24 PM »

Do you think it would be more advantageous for the the Welsh regions to consider looking at a switch to the Premiership now that SA teams on board? More potential localised matches and potential to bring back Anglo Welsh cup. I could see it benefiting Welsh rugby with larger attendances.

Then you would have to consider what advantage for the English game. Maybe a look at the possibility of making two divisions including those championship sides that want to progress .

NO.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 09:55:25 AM »

I think from a Welsh club perspective, yes. Less travel- away games on the doorstep all year, and bums on seats.
From the WRU, no chance.
From an English perspective, yes, to an extent, broadcasters would lap it up, there would be some games on terrestrial probably, as the beeb plys s4c  would be looking to cover Welsh games as clubs models are further solidified and it would kill off any demands to restructure English clubs into rfu hands. England v Wales every weekend on BT is an easy sell. The downside is it would be conference based or two divisions, which would kill it. It might be that a 16 team league is viable, 30 league matches a season would mean 15 league home games, but then that would mean a cull somewhere.
In either case the wru and rfu will hate it.