Always a Wasp

Author Topic: James Gaskell.........  (Read 845 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
James Gaskell.........
« on: May 10, 2022, 11:24:18 AM »
in talks with a Japanese club and may leave Wasps suggests TRP.

I hope not. Admittedly Jamma has had bad luck with injuries in the last 2 or 3 seasons but he is still only 31 and a player that I've always rated highly.

He is a great line out tactician & stealer; ideal foil for Joe and gets around the park - it would be a real shame if he leaves. 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: James Gaskell.........
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 11:34:51 AM »
Well, I guess we all suspected he would be leaving. I am reasonably sure he wouldn't have wanted to, just as Jimmy wouldn't have. But, the salary cap has this effect. What DOES please me is that he can continue his career, rather than being forced through lack of contract to retire. Whoever he plays for, he will serve them well (as will Jimmy). I will be sad to see either of these two go.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 12:12:35 PM »
Gaskell has never had a bad game for Wasps, and it would be disappointing to see him go after many years as a Wasp.

However, he's going to be on a high salary, he does spend a fair amount of time injured, we have to look after Cardall and give him the opportunities he deserves if we want to keep hold of him (plus Vuka and the incoming Scottish lock), and the reduced cap means cuts are inevitable even if some are hard to swallow.  Wasps are potentially offering reduced money for him to stay, and if he has a more lucrative offer on the table from Japan with perhaps only a few years left playing top level rugby, then who could blame him.

Would be disappointing if true of course as it always is to see a long Wasps career come to an end, but may actually benefit all.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
Was definitely something brewing in the second rows wasn’t there?
He definitely has a few more years at the top in him but maybe he’s thinking about the injuries and getting the best out of the situation for his family and the longevity of his careers.
He also must be a high earner having been a starter for all of those eight years. Maybe makes sense for us to reinvest that money as it would probably cover all all of Cardall, TV3 and Bell next year.

Charlie Matthews is playing in the second tier in Japan I believe and looks like he’s really embracing the culture and change of lifestyle. Maybe Jamma is just up for a change.

Rossco

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 01:29:49 PM »
So Lee has stated we are still in the market for a lock , Gaskells replacement, maybe a staffer that’s has been linked. A hard running back, no ideas there and also there are funds if another back becomes available ( surely that’s Wadey) . So recruitment is almost complete……..