Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Stuart Barnes is right  (Read 1081 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Stuart Barnes is right
« on: May 17, 2022, 10:02:59 AM »
In one of the signs of the apocalypse, I actually agree with Stuart Barnes
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/horrendous-rugby-world-cup-draw-23968988

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart Barnes is right
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 10:04:01 AM »
Wrong headline - very wrong headline!
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »
It does show how easy it should be for England to make the semis- win group, play Wales or Fiji. Not saying England will do it, but the semi should be minimum progress, unless Wales radically improve (with the usual "knockout rugby" caveats).

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 11:02:17 AM »
OT I know, but at the bottom of that article is a link to an article saying that Gatland is to take over the US national team in an attempt to improve them in time for when the USA hosts the World Cup.

Can you imagine how good they'd become if he could persuade Shaun to go out there with him?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 01:57:27 PM »
Totally agree with Barnes.  (There, I said it!)  This is not a new problem, I've said the same at every WC I can remember, but this year the flaws in such an early draw have been exposed with the current top 4 in the world all in the same half of the draw.

No reason at all why the draw could not be done immediately after the November tests the year before.  Would give those matches a bit more edge if seeding for the WC was at stake.  That then gives all teams about 11 months to organise travel, which should be more than enough. They manage it with the FIFA WC.  The draw for this year's tournament has not yet happened and it starts in November, and it is a much, much bigger event to organise in terms of number of competing teams, media and supporters.  Would also do away with the inclusion of such teams as "Oceania 1" and "Repechage 2".

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 03:18:46 PM »
Yep - Barnes is correct. That said, if England meet Wales and play like last time out in the 6Ns, they'd probably better play well as Wales really ought to have won, played all the rugby and showed up England's inability to score...

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 04:37:14 PM »
True, but Wales lost to Italy in Cardiff.
It could be two bald men fighting over the proverbial comb.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »
True, but Wales lost to Italy in Cardiff.
It could be two bald men fighting over the proverbial comb.

Certainly that was not a highlight of recent Wales performances - but they do know how to beat England...keep it on the pitch and use the back row to keep the pace up!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 10:33:14 AM »
Or get Eddie to select the England team, pick players out of position and make bad subs, whilst winding up the media to a frenzy with some anti Welsh barbs. That works quite well!