General Category > Wasps Rugby Discussion

Pecking order?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rossm:
Nice to see you back with us Raggs. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Where's Ashley?? Neither mentioned as a hooker nor back row.

Vespula Vulgaris:

--- Quote from: bargepole on December 02, 2018, 04:45:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: Raggs on December 02, 2018, 04:25:11 PM ---10. Sops.

The more time he has, the better he looks in my mind.

--- End quote ---

I'm afraid I can't agree. Sure, he defends well, and having a 10 who can jackal over a tackled opponent and win turnovers is a bonus.

But in attack, he looks very ordinary indeed. He takes the ball too far behind the gain line, and usually just shovels it on to the next player, so we struggle to make, let alone break, the gain line. His kicking from the tee is OK, but his kicking from hand is of variable quality, as is his ability to execute long cut-out passes, unlike an unmentionable person now in a cherry and white shirt.

If the All Blacks once considered him to be the next best option after Beauden Barrett, they must have a dearth of quality 10s in NZ.

--- End quote ---

This genuinely surprises me and makes me wonder if we've been watching different people.

I see a ling and detailed article in the offing now.  I'm off to make some gifs...

Raggs:

--- Quote from: Rossm on December 02, 2018, 04:47:07 PM ---Nice to see you back with us Raggs. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Where's Ashley?? Neither mentioned as a hooker nor back row.

--- End quote ---

All is good. Life is a little different and we're still settling into routine. Now I've started playing again I'm not watching as many games live, and less time to watch them 2nd times (should get a bit more time, if I fancy using it for that, in the future).

I've not listed the entire squad, and I don't consider Ash to be 1st choice (or in the reckoning) for any position, so he's not there. He's a fantastic squadman to have though.

wasps:
It's strange, in the Bristol and Saracens games, I was seeing Sopoaga regularly taking the ball close to the gain line, and also drawing his man before sending late passes.

There were couple of occasions against Saracens where the whole back line stood deeper, and we appeared to try to run a training ground move.

But on the whole, I've felt that he's starting to play quite flat

wasps:
Was McIntyre ahead of Mullan last season?
I can't recall now, but I thought that MM's leadership and all round work rate saw him still picked as first choice.... Albeit that I would have been starting chesty personally.

It's hard to say who is first choice now. I think we need to see everyone play after their injuries.
I still haven't decided how good ZuZu is

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version