Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour  (Read 14007 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2022, 10:21:16 AM »

I disagree with the winning part. Winning alone is not enough.
Sarries win  and nobody turned up

Worryingly, maybe there isn't a big casual fan base just waiting for a reason to support a club.

What we currently have may be close to the limit of the growth of the game in this country.

It'd be interesting to know what kind of increase clubs saw in attendances after the RWC2003, and assuming there was one, how long it lasted

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2022, 11:06:28 AM »
So, will Wasps make an announcement at the game on Saturday? I would be very surprised if Wade wasn't there.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2022, 12:47:37 PM »
Ross, I won't quote you so as to take up the entire page..but I'm not clear on the relevance of the article to the discussion, perhaps because there is none.
Yet another 'woe is me' article that fails to mention he was not selected by 3 England coaches, not just Jones.
As for labeling him a Galactico..this thread is getting more bonkers by the second.
As Shugs says, I don't care where he goes or what he does, inside or out of rugby, but please god just make it stop...Maybe just one more article and Dacia will lend him the free car he is coveting...

This is factually incorrect. Wade's breakthrough with Wasps came in 2011, pretty much whilst England were at the WC. Cockerill joked about it after Wade landed tries vs Tigers during the WC in September. That was his 4th professional appearance.
He made 3 appearances prior to the start of 2011/2 season, the first in Jan at the prem cup. Johnson finished in mid October after the 1/4s. Wade's league starts could be counted on one hand.
He was no more pased over by Johnson than he was by Jack Rowell. So Lancaster and Jones passed him over, except that Lancaster of course picked him in 2013 agr 22, only for him to get injured in 2014. So Lancaster could have perhaps picked him later in 2014/5, perhaps, by then the WC was about and Lancaster was to prove his selection credentials with err, Sam Burgess. Had he stayed on, maybe he would, but really only one coach overlooked him- Eddie.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:49:30 PM by westwaleswasp »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2022, 12:52:07 PM »

I disagree with the winning part. Winning alone is not enough.
Sarries win  and nobody turned up

Worryingly, maybe there isn't a big casual fan base just waiting for a reason to support a club.

What we currently have may be close to the limit of the growth of the game in this country.

It'd be interesting to know what kind of increase clubs saw in attendances after the RWC2003, and assuming there was one, how long it lasted

Not arguing with that, it may be true there is not a huge fanbase waiting to happen. But an attractive Wasps team will get more though the gates than an unattractive one.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2022, 12:59:04 PM »
My main worry now is that after all this PR and social media about him and Wasps, if he doesn't end up signed for us it's going to have an even bigger negative effect on the club.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2022, 01:33:35 PM »
My main worry now is that after all this PR and social media about him and Wasps, if he doesn't end up signed for us it's going to have an even bigger negative effect on the club.

Agreed - said similar back in the thread.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hopwood

« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2022, 05:44:10 PM »
It’s a slow news week…at the end of the season.

Austin Healy is suggesting Sam Simmonds moves to centre…so hopefully that’ll create some headlines away from Wadey.
But there’s not much else to talk about, to be honest.