Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour  (Read 14011 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« on: May 22, 2022, 10:19:54 AM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 10:22:32 AM »
I really will be annoyed if Wade goes anywhere else.

Surely we must be talking to him, if we’re not then that’s just criminal. We are desperate for a winger, we can’t let this happen

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 10:33:07 AM »
I think TRP reports Exeter are interested in him - who wouldn’t be?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 10:34:12 AM »
Did I  miss something there Neils?  But the man I'd really put out the bunting for is Smiler.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 10:35:05 AM »
I think TRP reports Exeter are interested in him - who wouldn’t be?

Also that they have space and salary with O'Flagherty (spelling?) leaving.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 10:38:31 AM »
Why must we be talking to him? This isn’t the Wade that left - mid season let’s not forget when we had little chance to replace. I really don’t get the clamour. Absolutely fantastic, brilliant, one off talent. No doubt about it. But that was then.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 10:46:31 AM »
Why must we be talking to him? This isn’t the Wade that left - mid season let’s not forget when we had little chance to replace. I really don’t get the clamour. Absolutely fantastic, brilliant, one off talent. No doubt about it. But that was then.

Totally agree. Everyone seems to think he’ll just come back and pick up where he left, the reality is he will probably never get back to how we remember him in his prime

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 10:54:48 AM »

Totally agree. Everyone seems to think he’ll just come back and pick up where he left, the reality is he will probably never get back to how we remember him in his prime

I think the comments regarding us talking to him are because:
-- it's believed we still hold his registration, which may mean we get first dibs
-- our current wingers aren't great
-- we're looking for a back 3 player, albeit potentially a full back

That does all seem logical

I agree that he won't be the same player that he was for us.
Some of his natural instinct will have changed after being away from the game for so long.
He'll also be a few years older than he was.

But on the other side, he'll likely be more explosive, powerful and have better ball in hand control then he used to as they are all key to his NFL training.
The Bills also wouldn't have wanted to coach his elusiveness out of him as that would be important for a RB too.
I can't help but think that any extra muscle bulk that he may have put on, plus 3 years of age will likely have had an effect on his overall speed and step, but additional explosive power may make up for that.

All in all, I can't help but think that he'd be an upgrade on what we have on the wings at the moment

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 11:05:54 AM »

The chances that Wade will be better then what we have is likely to be high, a lot of Wades game was instinctive, he will still have that and pace.

No one really knows until Wade starts playing, personally I would happily take the risk, especially over the poor choice we have at the moment

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 11:11:59 AM »

I think the comments regarding us talking to him are because:
-- it's believed we still hold his registration, which may mean we get first dibs
-- our current wingers aren't great
-- we're looking for a back 3 player, albeit potentially a full back

That does all seem logical

I agree that he won't be the same player that he was for us.
Some of his natural instinct will have changed after being away from the game for so long.
He'll also be a few years older than he was.

But on the other side, he'll likely be more explosive, powerful and have better ball in hand control then he used to as they are all key to his NFL training.
The Bills also wouldn't have wanted to coach his elusiveness out of him as that would be important for a RB too.
I can't help but think that any extra muscle bulk that he may have put on, plus 3 years of age will likely have had an effect on his overall speed and step, but additional explosive powStandarder may make up for that.

All in all, I can't help but think that he'd be an upgrade on what we have on the wings at the moment

Completely agree.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 11:23:24 AM »
I’d rather have 80% Christian Wade playing for us than for anyone else.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 11:27:36 AM »

The chances that Wade will be better then what we have is likely to be high, a lot of Wades game was instinctive, he will still have that and pace.

No one really knows until Wade starts playing, personally I would happily take the risk, especially over the poor choice we have at the moment
That’s harsh I think. Not even Wade can score tries without the ball.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 11:41:24 AM »
I am caught in 2 minds. Firstly, he won't come cheap. Not only will he be an improvement on our current wings but he will be different. However, he won't have been practicing his passing in the NFL. That presumably can be worked on. I would like him to play 13/14, interchanging positions on the field during the game with Paolo. I think I've persuaded myself to take the gamble. He's also a bums on seats player.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 11:47:11 AM »
If we can get him to return a good and intense preseason would bring back the old mental and muscle memory for the game. However for him to really thrive we need to get all the backs working well again.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 12:16:50 PM »

That’s harsh I think. Not even Wade can score tries without the ball.

Don’t understand why you think it’s harsh, apart from Bassett, no one has played well. I also remember Wade scoring plenty of trys from nothing. None of our wingers can do that. I do except it’s not totally down to the wingers but why would the majority of teams in the premiership be interested in talking to Wade, if it was a high risk