Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT - Manu injured  (Read 1116 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
OT - Manu injured
« on: June 02, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »
I suppose to no one's surprise, Manu is off for surgery and misses summer tour.

Must make England selection more straight forwards.....

Report https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61672200
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:08:59 PM by mike909 »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Manu injured
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 12:20:37 PM »
As certain as taxes. Feel for him but the reality is he’s been finished for a couple of years. Jones continued selection of him was as poor as Tuilagi’s injury record. With Slade injured as well lord knows what we’ll see selection wise. Probably means Farrell outside Smith. 13? Who knows.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 12:32:27 PM »
As certain as taxes. Feel for him but the reality is he’s been finished for a couple of years. Jones continued selection of him was as poor as Tuilagi’s injury record. With Slade injured as well lord knows what we’ll see selection wise. Probably means Farrell outside Smith. 13? Who knows.

I fully expect to see second rowers all over the pitch, and not a winger in sight. This will be an opportunity for Eddie to get those dice out again. Whoever steps up, you can bet they won't have played centre for a while.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 12:35:33 PM »
Yep - as sure as that. It ought to make selection with an eye to RWC 23 easier.....England's best game over the last couple of years is in beating France in 6Ns 2021. The backline was Youngs. Ford, Farrell, Slade, May, Watson and Malins....My fav (Youngs aside) recent backline - but has an in form BV up front of course.....and played with pace So at 13, Slade or Marchant. Hope Watson and May recover and we play Malins at 15.....Hope.....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 01:00:07 PM »
No coach selects Manu thinking he'll play.  They select him knowing he'll be injured and then they'll have a ready excuse for the inevitable failure.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 01:26:39 PM »
Probably something in that Vespula! Agree Mike - Malins has to play 15. If I was selecting the back division it would be Care, Smith, 12 - Lozowski 13 - Marchant 15 - Malins. With wingers May, if fit and Radwan.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 01:42:36 PM »
Vs France Malins May and Watson was excellent. I really like Malins as a player and that gives a back three with real pace and two experienced full backs with distribution skills. For RWC next year - I might be tempted with OF at 12, just not skipper and then it's really down to picking forwards that contribute.....

Our worst game was probably vs Scotland where most of the time this season we asked players to run into tacklers...again and again...I was glad they won.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 11:32:55 AM »
And it gets worse...Slade injured and Nowell fit...so lacking guile and an increase in mediocre pace.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 12:07:03 PM »
You can see where it’s heading can’t you. Surely we won’t see a back three of Nowell, Malins and Steward with Steward at 15.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »
You can see where it’s heading can’t you. Surely we won’t see a back three of Nowell, Malins and Steward with Steward at 15.
...well remember vs France....Furbank at 15....

Hard to assess SR - but I'd feel a lot happier facing the Aussies with Watson, May and Malins as what they do not lack is pace...

It's really hard on Jack N as he's been an excellent player - but its not since 15/16 season that he was a prolific scorer and injury and age is catching up. Radwan and Thorley ought to be looked at more?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 02:12:53 PM »
Definitely. Radwan for me - raw pace just frightens people and he has that impact playing with a pack that rarely dominates. Thorley is also a better option than Nowell for me but then again so is his ex team mate O’Flaherty.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 06:06:31 PM »
Nah, I can see Eddie selecting Sam Burgess in the centre for the WC. Any success Eddie  has had has been with bombers cast offs😬😭😨