Always a Wasp

Author Topic: More players for Eddie to Break  (Read 7464 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
More players for Eddie to Break
« on: June 06, 2022, 10:46:56 AM »
Biyi, Dan and Charlie added to the training squad.

Congrats lads - stay safe!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:49:39 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: More players for Eddie to Break
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 10:47:29 AM »
England: Eddie Jones names five newcomers in training squad before Australia tour - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61703039

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 10:48:55 AM »
I note that Joe hasn't been added back in.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 10:54:42 AM »
Quite a bizarre selection as what's he hoping to achieve? His time horizon is the RWC 23 from September next year 15 months to the start and probably 12 months to a RWC squad.

So why so many uncapped players or players with little experience? He's allegedly putting together some sort of plan/system - does it work best with players who don't object/know better?

As for Wasps players - Dan and Paolo seem unlikely to make the RWC or Aussie tour on current form or use by Jones previously. Seems like he's exercising his power.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 11:07:53 AM »
Report from Bobby Bridge.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/england-rugby-squad-announcement-australia-24153797

Really pleased for Biyi. He's improved almost beyond recognition. Well deserved.

England training squad
Forward: Biyi Alo (Wasps, uncapped), Alfie Barbeary (Wasps, uncapped), Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons), Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons), Freddie Clarke (Gloucester, uncapped), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Trevor Davison (Newcastle Falcons), Charlie Ewels (Bath), Will Goodrick-Clarke (London Irish, uncapped), Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs), Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors), Sam Jeffries (Bristol Bears, uncapped), George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped), Tom Pearson (London Irish, uncapped), Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks), Patrick Schickerling (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped), Jack Singleton (Gloucester), Will Stuart (Bath), Sam Underhill (Bath), Jack Willis (Wasps).

Backs: Henry Arundell (London Irish, uncapped), Charlie Atkinson (Wasps, uncapped), Mark Atkinson (Gloucester), Orlando Bailey (Bath, uncapped), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath), Ollie Hassell-Collins (London Irish, uncapped), Will Joseph (London Irish, uncapped), Jonny May (Gloucester), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Paolo Odogwu (Wasps, uncapped), Max Ojomoh (Bath, uncapped), Tom Parton (London Irish, uncapped), Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons), Harry Randall (Bristol Bears), Dan Robson (Wasps).

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 11:14:58 AM »
Quite a bizarre selection as what's he hoping to achieve?  ...
So why so many uncapped players or players with little experience?
Eddie can't pick anyone from Tigers, Sarries, Quins or Saints since they are preparing for playoff semi-finals. Given that proviso, it's a pretty good selection. Gives him a chance to cast his eye over fringe players and see how they perform with the regulars who are available. A bolter or 2 would be a positive outcome.

Jonny Hill is back in the mix, which may explain Launcher's absence. Don't think he will make Aussie trip as he hasn't shown particularly good form lately. If Stooke had been fit he may have ousted Ewells.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 11:19:25 AM »
This sentence intrigued me:

Elsewhere, analyst Joe Lewis has re-joined the England set-up after a year working with Scarlets. Lewis will take on a new role of training coordinator and will lead analysis work on special projects.

What special projects? which players play best out of position?

Also has Dan been brought in so they can use his drop goal expertise when if losing by one or two points with a few minutes left on the clock?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 11:20:06 AM »
This has annoyed me more than it should do. When Dan was the form SH in the premiership he was ignored or given a couple of minutes at the end of a game, yet now he's recalled to the squad and could even the most die-hard Wasps fan honestly say that Charlie is worthy of international consideration yet? This just reeks of Eddie being Eddie, I'm sick of his antics, I really am. I don't think I've ever been so down on a coach as I am him, please go......

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »
This has annoyed me more than it should do. When Dan was the form SH in the premiership he was ignored or given a couple of minutes at the end of a game, yet now he's recalled to the squad and could even the most die-hard Wasps fan honestly say that Charlie is worthy of international consideration yet? This just reeks of Eddie being Eddie, I'm sick of his antics, I really am. I don't think I've ever been so down on a coach as I am him, please go......

Exactly this.  Dan's selection is utterly baffling.  No way will he make the final squad.  Eddie's already seen plenty of him in training and never once picked him to start even when he was it far better form than Youngs.  Dan's form has been patchy at best since his injury, and he gets recalled.  Would've been better to go with Porter if he's trying to look at future prospects.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 11:31:50 AM »
There's a huge difference between the squad that will play the BaaBaas and that which will tour Australia.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 11:44:06 AM »
Don't laugh, but I think Eddie selects his 9 based on his ability to kick.

Mostly Dan has been kicking well even when the rest of his game has become muddled.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 11:48:52 AM »
Tackle bags spring to mind ;D

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »
He's picking fringe players and such because he's not able to pick top 4 team players yet.

Somehow his selections are already controversial, in other news the sky is blue.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 11:51:54 AM »
Quite a bizarre selection as what's he hoping to achieve?  ...
So why so many uncapped players or players with little experience?
Eddie can't pick anyone from Tigers, Sarries, Quins or Saints since they are preparing for playoff semi-finals. Given that proviso, it's a pretty good selection. Gives him a chance to cast his eye over fringe players and see how they perform with the regulars who are available. A bolter or 2 would be a positive outcome.

Jonny Hill is back in the mix, which may explain Launcher's absence. Don't think he will make Aussie trip as he hasn't shown particularly good form lately. If Stooke had been fit he may have ousted Ewells.

I'm 100% aware of the limitations of the selection. Do we really see Paolo or Charlie as likely RWC squad players, Dan even, really? I'm with the others on Dan and that selection is for me representative of the whole.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »
On the flip sideā€¦..

Massive congratulations to all selected. All of these boys, especially Dobbie, Jack and Biyi have worked their socks off to improve and to come back from injuries etc and I bet are absolutely made up!
If Barbeary and Atkinson are special projects then good luck to them too, this could be a great confidence builder for Charlie.
Willis Tom must have been very close though
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 01:10:28 PM by JonnyD »